Thread: Ladbrokes

Thanks

Ladbrokes

I noticed they dropped off of oddschecker a few weeks back which I thought was a bit of a strange thing. My suspicions were it was a move to avoid being compared on their prices without the normal SP mechanism in place. I've been watching since and I'm amazed it's not been brought up that they are being shorter than every other major bookmaker in the 10 mins up to races. The 2.20 now at sailsbury is a prime example on the fave. Everywhere were 11/10 at worst Lads were Evens. They are doing this on nearly every race!

Thanks
    We had a thread about this at the time when they dropped off. Can't post a link with this phone though!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I had a fairly healthy balance with Ladbrokes but zeroed my account when they quit oddschecker.

I can't say I miss them as only a very small minority of my bets were with them and latterly really only when they were longest and had a boost available.

Same with Coral, which reminds me, I need to zero that account too now.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I had a fairly healthy balance with Ladbrokes but zeroed my account when they quit oddschecker.

I can't say I miss them as only a very small minority of my bets were with them and latterly really only when they were longest and had a boost available.

Same with Coral, which reminds me, I need to zero that account too now.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-horse-racing

Ladbrokes claiming that they took a 100 each way at 300/1 on Luke Comer's winner today. I find it very very hard to believe.

Thanks
    Not missed at all...their odds on horses and other sports are awful compared to rivals
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Why have the Gambling Commission not looked at this? They must have been made aware.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SP Only View Post
    Why have the Gambling Commission not looked at this? They must have been made aware.
    I'm not sure that it's one for the Gambling Commission - I'd liken it to someone buying goods at a higher price when they know they can get them cheaper elsewhere - it's up to the other firms to highlight it in their adverts, like Betfair do.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't see any LCCP breach here, they are free to offer whatever price they want as far as I'm aware, as long as if you take the SP and they pay the SP, people should just bet elsewhere if they don't like their prices. GVC are a terrible company though with many failings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Haven't bet with Lads or Coral since their prices disappeared from Oddschecker - haven't missed them, either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

dvds2000 (14th August 2020)

Thanks
    Yeah agreed and goes without saying I don't bet there whilst this is going on but it's a horrific look for them if it hits mainstream media and indirectly it looks bad for horse racing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SP Only For This Useful Post:

dvds2000 (14th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah agreed and goes without saying I don't bet there whilst this is going on but it's a horrific look for them if it hits mainstream media and indirectly it looks bad for horse racing.
    Oddschecker must get a LOT of business for firms, as it costs an absolute fortune to be listed on there. It's also part of Skybet/Stars Group, for anyone who wasn't aware.
    Last edited by dvds2000; 14th August 2020 at 2:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I presumed Oddschecker got some kind of commission for bets made via the site but had no idea they were charging for it and charging fortunes.

I wonder if there's any techy nerds out there who could help me design an odds comparison site. I reckon I could undercut oddschecker quite comfortable.

I actually came on here to note that I don't see Sporting Odds there this morning. Have they baled out too?

Sporting Odds were good for helping avoid bad bets. I noticed if they were longer than elsewhere the horse usually lost. Good for identifying possible non-triers ahead of the race but I presume they were following the cleverer exchange money.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I presumed Oddschecker got some kind of commission for bets made via the site but had no idea they were charging for it and charging fortunes.

I wonder if there's any techy nerds out there who could help me design an odds comparison site. I reckon I could undercut oddschecker quite comfortable.

I actually came on here to note that I don't see Sporting Odds there this morning. Have they baled out too?

Sporting Odds were good for helping avoid bad bets. I noticed if they were longer than elsewhere the horse usually lost. Good for identifying possible non-triers ahead of the race but I presume they were following the cleverer exchange money.

off the top of my head there's two ways to do an odds checker type price comparison screen

1) have a link to bookies server where it publishes via an xml file it's prices on events to those with the right requisite login creds, and your program just automatically updates your info from there. that type of thing is a standard approach for companies passing data back and forth.
    2) have browser windows open on all the relevant pages on each bookie site, your prog then screen scrapes every few seconds to update it's own db which then ends up as your own odds comparison screen on your website.
    Last edited by pawras; 17th August 2020 at 8:31 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pawras For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (17th August 2020), dvds2000 (17th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A few years ago, chatting to someone who part owned an online bookmaker, he told me oddschecker were charging 6 figures a month to be listed. No reason to disbelieve him as other figures he was telling me for affiliates etc were correct, so can't see any reason why he would overstate the oddschecker figures.
    He also said they had no choice but to pay it as not being on massively affected their business.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
    A few years ago, chatting to someone who part owned an online bookmaker, he told me oddschecker were charging 6 figures a month to be listed. No reason to disbelieve him as other figures he was telling me for affiliates etc were correct, so can't see any reason why he would overstate the oddschecker figures.
    He also said they had no choice but to pay it as not being on massively affected their business.
    They could collectively kill oddschecker over night if they made the likely server end point to get the xml feed of prices more readily available, then there would multiple oddschecker type sites very quickly.
    Last edited by pawras; 17th August 2020 at 11:35 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to pawras For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (17th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pawras View Post
    They could collectively kill oddschecker over night if they made the likely server end point to get the xml feed of prices more readily available, then there would multiple oddschecker type sites very quickly.
    Most of them are available to affiliates, but the cost of marketing is prohibitive, and not worth the investment. They pay a lot of money to be top of google for top searches. The whole affiliate game is currently controlled by massive media companies who dwarf anyone else trying to get into it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
    Most of them are available to affiliates, but the cost of marketing is prohibitive, and not worth the investment. They pay a lot of money to be top of google for top searches. The whole affiliate game is currently controlled by massive media companies who dwarf anyone else trying to get into it
    I wonder how much a logon to their xml feed from someone like ladbrokes actually costs, but screen scrapers cost nothing other than the time and effort to build them, it just becomes a fag when they change the layout and you have to refactor code as a result. Betfair has an api to use, does betdaq have something similar?
    Depends what your goal is, at least initially. Me I just don't like monopolies of any kind, constant ads or battling cookies and iesnare all the time just to see a comparison of prices.
    Last edited by pawras; 20th August 2020 at 9:52 AM.