Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Noted in running

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries

Noted in running

LONE EAGLE

Sandown 7 Aug 2020
    British EBF Maiden Stakes (Class 5) (Turf)
    2yo 1M Winner: £4,140 (8 runners)
    Good to Firm

I thought this was a good debut for Lone Eagle. The winner, Recovery Run - who had already run well in a couple of decent all weather events, raced mostly in the lead throughout with Lone Eagle tracking him a length or two adrift. He had to be pushed a bit to hold position some 2 furlongs out and made his effort with Recovery Run inside the final furlong when just over a length adrift. Finished the better to go down by a head in the end with the rest miles away.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    CHIL CHIL

Ascot 8 Aug 2020
    ITV Home Of Terrestrial Racing Handicap
    6f, Class 2, £12,938
    Going: Good To Firm

Oisin Murphy seemed to have a lot of horse under him, but short of room 2 furlongs out. Squeezed through a small gap 1 furlong out and moved away quickly to win readily. A strong performance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

simmo (9th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    MINZAAL

Salisbury 9 August 2020
    AJN Steelstock Kentford British EBF Novice Stakes
    6f, Class 5, £4,140.16

You probably won’t see an easier win than this. MINZAAL jogged with the pack until two furlongs out then as arms were pumping and whips flailing all around him he moved serenely past them with Jim Crowley motionless and left them toiling in his wake to win by nearly 4 lengths. Never off the bridle and barely breaking sweat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    MINZAAL

Salisbury 9 August 2020
    AJN Steelstock Kentford British EBF Novice Stakes
    6f, Class 5, £4,140.16

You probably won’t see an easier win than this. MINZAAL jogged with the pack until two furlongs out then as arms were pumping and whips flailing all around him he moved serenely past them with Jim Crowley motionless and left them toiling in his wake to win by nearly 4 lengths. Never off the bridle and barely breaking sweat.
    Filched from RP results
    Being unlucky in running on debut at Ascot might not be the worst thing for MINZAAL . He shows a lot of speed so will be kept at 6f and hopefully going forward he will be running in something like the Mill Reef and then possibly the Middle Park - Rob McDowall, assistant trainer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

barjon (10th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OBTUSE

Leicester 10 August 2020
    Bodie Hodges Foundation Nursery Handicap
    7f, Class 5, £3,493.26

Obtuse raced behind the leaders and got bumped and squeezed 1 furlong out which checked his beginning challenge. He got it together 1/2 furlong out and moved through from 5th to 2nd. Presumably he had shot his bolt then since his rider appeared to stop pressing him strongly and he was passed by the fast finishers into a close 7th. There was no money for him (nor in his previous races) but his mark looks workable in similar races. Watch the money!
    Last edited by barjon; 11th August 2020 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don’t know if people would be interested in me continuing with this? They are not intended to be tips- just performances that I think rate a mention, although not all appear in my own tracker. I am happy to continue if there’s interest, otherwise I’ll drop it.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Chopper (12th August 2020), Eleanora Duse (12th August 2020), luckyme (12th August 2020)

Thanks
    I'm certainly finding it interesting, I just don't have much to say on the matter! The forum tends to be a bit slow during the flat season.

I'd say crack on with it, hopefully as they start running we can get a bit more chat going.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

barjon (11th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am reading them and will keep on reading them. Don't be put off by lack of response, it often happens on here. People read posts but don't reply.
    It's a shame but "IT IS WHAT IT IS"!!!
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

barjon (11th August 2020), Eleanora Duse (12th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Definitely keep them coming. I often feel I’m talking to an empty room and then get paranoid because I’m female that nobody thinks my opinions are worth it! But the fact is there are times when I am utterly brilliant so more fool those who ignore me! (I had 14 winners over Royal Ascot and posted every one on here including big prices).
    So don’t take it personally!
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Give it time,Barjon. Strikes me you know what you're talking about, but not giving the horses you've discussed chance to prove themselselves.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I was enquiring more because of wondering whether it was the sort of thing people wanted to see rather than by lack of response (hope others will join in though). As I said before, they are not intended as tips but I hope they will be useful to people. I’ll keep them coming.

Thanks
    Thanks. I was enquiring more because of wondering whether it was the sort of thing people wanted to see rather than by lack of response (hope others will join in though). As I said before, they are not intended as tips but I hope they will be useful to people. I’ll keep them coming.
    Great Idea for a thread, I will throw up a few too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    BLUE HERO

Wolverhampton 11 August 2020
    British Stallion Studs EBF Penn Novice Stakes
    6f, Class 5, £4,140.16
    Going: Standard To Slow

Ryan Moore was on the dirt to take the win on Vindicate, but this was an interesting booking. He raced Blue Hero mid-division until it began to matter when he moved up on the inside and just over a furlong out the Johnston “catch me if you can” runner rolled onto the rail thwarting his path. Jerked vigorously right, but not seeming to lose much momentum in the process, Blue Moon was now over a length adrift but ran on stoutly under Moore’s urging to go down by a neck and a nose.

The Johnston runner hung on for second at 25/1 about an hour before his aptly named Run This Way employed similar catch me tactics to win at Haydock at 22/1 - reet hard please note!!
    Last edited by barjon; 11th August 2020 at 10:07 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

jinnyj (12th August 2020), reet hard (12th August 2020)

Thanks
    Agree with above. Keep `em coming.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Allow me to add one.

Omnivega was held up too far back at Ascot on Saturday off a moderate pace and, while it made good ground with a daring run up the inside after straightening up, it had to much to do even before the gap closed on it and it was allowed to coast home under tender handling. Not Hayley Turner's finest moment but I wouldn't rush to blame her. She was probably riding to instructions.

No axe to grind either. I backed the winner.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 11th August 2020 at 10:44 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

barjon (12th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EL PICADOR

Beverley 12 August 2020
    Churchill Tyres A Great British Brand Handicap
    1m2f, Class 4, £4,690.02

Well, here I am, Joe Fanning, sitting third on El Picador on the rails with a couple of furlongs to go, he feels good and I’d better get moving. In front of me is Bit of a Quirke on the rails with Jaaizah on his hindquarters. There’s a gap between them. GO! El Picador does go, but I have to snatch him up as the gap slams shut. Ok, that leaves a gap on the rail, GO! Damn, have to pull him back again as that one shuts. Wait, they’ve rolled apart again, GO! Double Damn, that ones gone before I even got going for it. No choice but to pull him back and round four horses now, but there’s only half a furlong to go. In the clear at last we pick up half a length but it means nothing. Where would we have finished? Well, it’d have been better than fifth, hope Keith’s not too upset.
    Last edited by barjon; 12th August 2020 at 6:14 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (13th August 2020), luckyme (12th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    EL PICADOR

Beverley 12 August 2020
    Churchill Tyres A Great British Brand Handicap
    1m2f, Class 4, £4,690.02

Well, here I am, Joe Fanning, sitting third on El Picador on the rails with a couple of furlongs to go, he feels good and I’d better get moving. In front of me is Bit of a Quirke on the rails with Jaaizah on his hindquarters. There’s a gap between them. GO! El Picador does go, but I have to snatch him up as the gap slams shut. Ok, that leaves a gap on the rail, GO! Damn, have to pull him back again as that one shuts. Wait, they’ve rolled apart again, GO! Double Damn, that ones gone before I even got going for it. No choice but to pull him back and round four horses now, but there’s only half a furlong to go. In the clear at last we pick up half a length but it means nothing. Where would we have finished? Well, it’d have been better than fifth, hope Keith’s not too upset.
    Yes. Repeatedly denied a run. Would have been second at worst and can probably be rated a winner without a penalty but the winner was still pulling hard in behind turning for home and is probably better than the bare result.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

barjon (12th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ACQUISITOR

Bath 13 August 2020
    valuerater.co.uk Maiden Auction Stakes
    5½f, Class 5, £3,493.26

First run and nothing expected at 18/1 Acquisitor looked the part racing just behind the leading group only to be taken by the heels when things started hotting up to be left a two or three lengths in arrears and second to last. Frankie Norton kept him at it and with around half a furlong left he finally caught on and stormed home to finish right on the heels of the placed horses in fourth. I thought it was an encouraging opener.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (14th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ZWELELA

Newbury 15 August 2020
    Unibet Fillies' Novice Stakes (Plus 10/GBB Race) (Div II)
    6f, Class 5, £3,493.26
    Going: Good To Soft

There were two division of the 2yo fillies 6f Novice. The first, probably the stronger race, was won quite impressively by debutante Alcohol Free. In the second there was late money for Zwelela, also a debutante, bringing her to joint favourite at 9/4 (from 9/2). She raced behind the leading group, moving forward steadily from about 2f out when 5th and about 4 lengths behind the leader. She finished best of all and just failed to overhaul the joint favourite going down by a head in the end. A very good opener.
    Last edited by barjon; 15th August 2020 at 8:16 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (16th August 2020)

Thanks
    Sorry my post on the other thread should have been on here.