Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ones to keep an eye on

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ones to keep an eye on

Here’s an interesting Godolphin horse which cost $490,000 as a yearling, but remained unraced until this year when he was 4 years old and had lost his manhood on the way. Apparently well thought of it will be interesting to see where he goes from here, particularly after Frankie gave him such an “educational” first race.

WIRRAWAY

* Sex: Chestnut Gelding
    * Breeding: Australia - Fly Past (Zamindar (USA))
    * Trainer: J H M Gosden
    * Owner: Godolphin

Newmarket 11-Jul-20 1609m SOFT R3 Cl4nv
    1st Stunning Beauty (O Murphy)
    2nd Declaring Love (W Buick)
    3rd Piranesi (C Fallon)
    UPL Wirraway (L Dettori)

A very considered run given by Frankie Dettori - in rear group, moved through gradually from 4 to 2 furlongs out to about 5th or sixth then “challenged” to no great effect when treated gently and allowed to coast in. Drifted out to 14/1 having been 4/1 early price, although opened 13/2 on the day. Apparently he is well regarded, but this didn’t tell us anything.
    Last edited by barjon; 7th August 2020 at 11:42 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

luckyme (7th August 2020), simmo (7th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    MONBEG LEGEND

Age10 (Foaled 9th March 2010)
    TrainerN J Henderson
    SexGelding
    SireMidnight Legend
    DamReverse Swing
    OwnerEventmasters Racing

He was a Class 1 chaser two seasons ago with last season a write-off after falling in his first race and being pulled up in his second and last race. Nicky Henderson seems to have persevered with him so maybe looking to get him back. It might be just a sentimental journey, though, because he is 10 years old after all.

Whatever the motives he ran in a 2m7f Class 3 handicap hurdle at Market Rasen on 27/7 . He raced in the lead and hurdled well until 3 furlongs out when he tired and weakened rapidly to finish a long, long way back (84 lengths) in 9th. He was treated tenderly by Nico de Boinville and eased. If he has come out of it ok it was a decent enough re-introduction.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    NEVERBEEN TO PARIS

Market Rasen 16 August 2020
    Betway Novices' Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
    2m5½f, Class 4, £3,963.78
    Going: Good
    1. Neverbeen To Paris 6/1
    4. Cage Of Fear 5/2F
    3. Classic Escape 3/1
    7 ran Distances: 6½l, 14l, ½l Total SP: 114%
    Winning jockey: Gavin Sheehan
    Winning trainer: Harry Whittington

Neverbeen To Paris, a competent RPR 126 hurdler, took on novice handicap company carrying top weight after just one previous novice chase. Jumping was passable and he showed a hurdler’s turn of foot when it mattered. Didn’t have much to beat as it turned out, but he’s only 5 and it will interesting to watch how he develops from here.
    Last edited by barjon; 16th August 2020 at 4:28 PM.

Thanks
    Encourage could be one to look at next time out. Made his debut in a Newbury maiden (7f soft) and jumped reasonably enough. He initially followed the far side group but after 2f moved across to the nearside. Probably the wrong decision and when the pressure was exerted took his time to understand what was needed. Ran on well in the last half-furlong. Wasn't given a hard race and will learn a lot from that.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleanora Duse For This Useful Post:

barjon (17th August 2020), Colin Phillips (17th August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    PIANISSIMO

Uttoxeter 17 August 2020
    attheraces.com Novices' Hurdle (GBB Race)
    2m, Class 4, £3,508.92
    Going: Good To Soft

There was some interest for this newcomer who had some fairly useful staying form on the flat reaching 98 RPR. He raced prominently in the leading group and in a breakaway threesome round the final turn. Closing up to challenge he made a Horlicks of the third last and lost all momentum, although still in third at the next where he was clumsy and lost further momentum (such as it was) and going on to treat the last with great respect. Not a strong novice race, of course, but I thought that he did show some promise for the future.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    MONBEG LEGEND

Age10 (Foaled 9th March 2010)
    TrainerN J Henderson
    SexGelding
    SireMidnight Legend
    DamReverse Swing
    OwnerEventmasters Racing

He was a Class 1 chaser two seasons ago with last season a write-off after falling in his first race and being pulled up in his second and last race. Nicky Henderson seems to have persevered with him so maybe looking to get him back. It might be just a sentimental journey, though, because he is 10 years old after all.

Whatever the motives he ran in a 2m7f Class 3 handicap hurdle at Market Rasen on 27/7 . He raced in the lead and hurdled well until 3 furlongs out when he tired and weakened rapidly to finish a long, long way back (84 lengths) in 9th. He was treated tenderly by Nico de Boinville and eased. If he has come out of it ok it was a decent enough re-introduction.
    21/8 chase this time. Tailed off and pulled up before 7th. I reckon that’s the last we will see of him.

Thanks

Ones to keep an eye on

21/8 chase this time. Tailed off and pulled up before 7th. I reckon that’s the last we will see of him.
    Yup. I backed him today in the hope NJH would get him back like he’s done with many others but think he’s gone at the game after that no show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by viking; 22nd August 2020 at 4:28 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Some hard luck stories in the Sandown 2.40. Escape The City was picked by the ITV team, having to be switched and finishing strongly for third but I'm more interested in Maronnier who finished 7th., Stuart Williams' gelding missed the break but steadily made ground up the straight but the field bunched and the apprentice had nowhere to go only two lengths behind in a bunch finish. I don't think ITV showed a head-on replay, which is a shame. Off the same mark and not giving the field start this 4-y-o has the ability to win in this grade.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 22nd August 2020 at 5:57 PM.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

barjon (22nd August 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    CHANTRY HOUSE

Nicky Henderson has been extremely patient with him. After one winning bumper run as a four year old he was pitched into a class 3 at Cheltenham to win at odds-on his only race as a five year old. He had one race at Newbury, again Class 3, before the Supreme which was on good ground and won with maybe his most commanding performance.

Henderson didn’t want to run him in the Supreme, he favoured the Ballymore , primarily to keep him away from Shiskin although he said there was little between them at home. If he’s right about that then the distance between them in the race, some 11 lengths, might be laid at the door of the soft ground which not the best for Chantry House.

Nonetheless, in coming third he took some notable scalps and did extremely well considering his very limited experience and he earned his highest rating. He has not run again since.

As a McManus horse he does not come under the same pressure to find winning opportunities and he may be destined for a role as good runner up in the top races. I think, however, that he is a horse yet to come to the boil and it will be interesting to see where he is placed, particularly when the going is good. He might even be sent chasing, although I’ve heard no mention of it as yet.

Thanks
    Chasing is definitely the plan Jon. Most are assuming he’ll head to the Marsh, but looking at Henderson’s novice chasers for next season I have a feeling he’ll end up in the RSA.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    Chasing is definitely the plan Jon. Most are assuming he’ll head to the Marsh, but looking at Henderson’s novice chasers for next season I have a feeling he’ll end up in the RSA.
    Oh, thanks Maruco, that’s even better. Definitely one to keep an eye on then.
    Last edited by barjon; 30th August 2020 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ENVOL DE LA COUR

Here’s a six year old hurdler whose four runs last season read PP8/9U - all Class 4 hurdles. With a record like that it is significant that he was backed down to 6/4 fav in the last one where he unseated his rider.

In his first race since - today, 3 September at Southwell - he started at 5/1 third favourite, once again shorter than you would expect albeit not so heavily as last time . Connections must think something of him at his current handicap rating. Didn’t run too badly, either, but ran out of puff before the last to finish 4th.

Thanks
    Another couple of runs to put everyone away again after letting the cat out of the bag.....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Marronnier who caught my eye when unlucky in running in a competitive Saturday Sandown handicap reappears at Ascot 4.15 this afternoon. Today's race is a Class 3 (0-90) Classified Stakes over a mile (same trip as Sandown), ground doesn't seem to matter to him, he is available at 3/1 at the moment. I am not convinced that this is the day but thought I'd flag it up.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

barjon (4th September 2020), Marb (4th September 2020)

Thanks
    ENVOL DE LA COUR

Here’s a six year old hurdler whose four runs last season read PP8/9U - all Class 4 hurdles. With a record like that it is significant that he was backed down to 6/4 fav in the last one where he unseated his rider.

In his first race since - today, 3 September at Southwell - he started at 5/1 third favourite, once again shorter than you would expect albeit not so heavily as last time . Connections must think something of him at his current handicap rating. Didn’t run too badly, either, but ran out of puff before the last to finish 4th.
    Before yesterdays race.....Envol De La Cour
    Thu 3rd Sep 2020
    19:30, Southwell

Was set to run a big race at Wetherby over fences back in March when unseating Brendan Powell. Back over hurdles today to give him a confidence booster and has done well during his 6 months off. Step up in trip a slight unknown but we feel it will be fine around here and on this better ground. The horses seem to be running well at the moment too so looking forward to getting going again with this one and should run well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    Before yesterdays race.....Envol De La Cour
    Thu 3rd Sep 2020
    19:30, Southwell

Was set to run a big race at Wetherby over fences back in March when unseating Brendan Powell. Back over hurdles today to give him a confidence booster and has done well during his 6 months off. Step up in trip a slight unknown but we feel it will be fine around here and on this better ground. The horses seem to be running well at the moment too so looking forward to getting going again with this one and should run well.
    Thanks, lucky. I must also correct his record - they weren’t all hurdles but chase, chase, hurdle, chase. Sorry to have misled. Looks as though he might be worth looking at in his next chase then. Nothing pencilled in yet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Marronnier finished fourth. Pace seemed a bit pedestrian and he was outpaced approaching the final furlong then running on inside the final furlong. Has to be given another chance.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    They gave Monbeg Legend another try at Stratford today. Always contesting last place he lasted 5 fences before tailing off and being pulled up. The well looks stone dry to me.
    Last edited by barjon; 5th September 2020 at 5:39 PM.

Thanks
    Hopefully they'll either retire him or do something different to rejuvenate.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Today's York winner Starman looks a serious type and I'm genuinely talking through my pocket. He's cost me a packet today.

I had BOGs on three horses today, Mamba Wamba 6/4, Dakota Gold 3/1 and Bulls Aye 11/1.

The DG single would have paid 3/1, the double with MW 9/1 and the treble with BA 119/1, for a total of 131 times my stake. Unfortunately I decided against backing the other two singles as I wanted to limit the outgoings. I thought MW and the in-form DG were good things and the latter was a long way clear of the third so Starman must be pretty good. Bulls Aye was pretty much an experimental bet based on something I'm working on at the moment but the treble was just in case fortune smiled on me. Bastert spat in my face.

It goes on, Judah.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

barjon (7th September 2020)