Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glorious Goodwood 2020

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Putting this one up early as my gut tells me it will develop into a gamble over the next 36 hours and could go off as short as 9/4.

In Friday's Golden Mile, I think Prompting is a superb bet at 6/1. I've gone in heavily at the price. Despite a 3lbs penalty he's still 6lbs well in and has an inside draw. The main dangers on form are drawn wide and he won going away last time at 7f so has the speed to race just off the pace rather than from further back. Tudhope can't do the weight and doesn't come down for the stablemate.

If this one loses it will hurt...
    I've done his stablemate Baltic Baron (got 25s) but Harry Bentley has switched off mine on to yours .good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Not as I saw it:
    RM set out to make the pace, with the other 2 Coolmores shielding his outside to repel boarders. RM set a strong pace, and had Mohaather not got baulked he would, no doubt have been in the van,too.
    Sure enough, Frankie bumped him drifting down the camber, but to suggest it was intentional, is ridiculous .- on so many levels. As it turned out, that hiatus may well have helped M to win the race as; instead of chasing a strong pace he had to regroup, switch to the outside and run down the outside of those in front of him.
    You have talked an awful lot of waffle there on so many levels, yet not explained why my contention was wrong. Keane knew the game given the 2000 guineas and Crowley was lucky to have a good enough horse underneath him to correct himself.

Thanks
    I'll be taking a chance that having had the Chop Luigi Vampa can put his best foot forward. A lot to like on his seasonal debut despite him being an utter cowbag. Next time out he did the old bucking bronco out of the stalls so obviously going to be interesting one way or the other. 14/1 4 places with Boyles seems like a decent bet providing the problem was between his legs and isn't between his ears.
    Last edited by Danny; 29th July 2020 at 9:50 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Outsider (29th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    You have talked an awful lot of waffle there on so many levels, yet not explained why my contention was wrong. Keane knew the game given the 2000 guineas and Crowley was lucky to have a good enough horse underneath him to correct himself.
    OK, have it your way then; a jockey, at the top of his profession, deliberately rode a horse, which he had no real connection with, into another with the express purpose of thwarting the other's chances of winning a race he clearly couldn't win himself, risking injury and possible suspension to engineer a bettter chance for a stable he rarely rides for. as those were his instructions on what was, essentially, a spare ride.
    As I said - ridiculous
    Last edited by reet hard; 30th July 2020 at 1:19 AM.

Thanks
    Not the best day of the meeting,imo.
    1.10 Flippa The Strippa Close 3rd in a better race than this last term, outclassed subsequently, except for his seasonal debut which is easily forgiven. Took 14/1 last night, but 9/1 best at the mo.

1.45 Zabeel Champion Won a good h'cap @ Newmarket latest, booking of Ryan Moore a good s1gn. 5/1 taken.

Think English King is vulnerable on this track and ground, have taken him on with the promising Al Aasy. Bet of the day, for me.
    9/2 in places.

4.55 Aklam Express is a rare runner for Nigel Tinkler who is 1 from 2 at the track. Jockey is 3 from 5 for the trainer, so there's little not to like.
    5/1 generally.

Luck to all.
    Last edited by reet hard; 30th July 2020 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    A very quiet day for me.

I'm thinking about these but not sure whether to back them other than Lucander which will go on the longshot thread and I'm really only backing him because my main fancy came out.

Looking forward to Friday and Saturday though!!

1.45 Lucander ew
    2.15 Yazaman?
    2.45 Highland Chief?
    3.15 One Voice?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    1.45 Lucander ew
    2.15 Yazaman?
    2.45 Highland Chief?
    3.15 One Voice?
    Yazaman too short.

Highland Chief too risky with only two places going.

I have a near-dormant account with Betfred ('only when desperate' is my mantra with them) but they're going three places in the big race so I've backed One Voice 16/1 with them. Alpine Star is as good as the fav so why is One Voice representing the stable here? Just curious and curious enough to pay to find out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (30th July 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've had a good week so far. Card today is generally uninteresting - although the Gordon is an intriguing race on many levels.

Magical Morning EW is probably my only bet.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Yes I’ve had a fair week too. 3 winners each day so far and also managed to back Early Doors at Galway. I agree about today though.
    1. Flippathestrippa ew
    2. I do like Magnetised and I may back Starcat ew
    3. Can’t work out AOB 2yos at the moment so will look at Admiral Nelson in paddock. Both Qaader and Yazaman both in my tracker and probably siding with latter.
    4. I will retain my faith in English King!
    5. I think the favourite will win purely because a) it was obviously given to Donnacha to kickstart his career and b) Ryan picks it over super tough and consistent Magic Wand. But I love Nazeef so she may carry a pound or two of mine.
    Last three races don’t really interest hugely so dependent on what sort of day I am having
    6 Running Back
    7. Miss Chess (half sis to Fancy Blue)
    8. Leave
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

Therightroad (30th July 2020)

Thanks
    No strong fancy today.

Not convinced with the Ballydoyle pair in the Nassau (Magic Wand possibly flattered in the Eclipse and they went passed four abreast in the Diane). Nazeef is an uncertain stayer so I've come down on Deirdre - small win bet.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 30th July 2020 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'll be taking a chance that having had the Chop Luigi Vampa can put his best foot forward. A lot to like on his seasonal debut despite him being an utter cowbag. Next time out he did the old bucking bronco out of the stalls so obviously going to be interesting one way or the other. 14/1 4 places with Boyles seems like a decent bet providing the problem was between his legs and isn't between his ears.
    I had it between him and Starcat, edging towards Starcat now as that horse has halved in price.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Yes I’ve had a fair week too. 3 winners each day so far and also managed to back Early Doors at Galway. I agree about today though.
    1. Flippathestrippa ew
    2. I do like Magnetised and I may back Starcat ew
    3. Can’t work out AOB 2yos at the moment so will look at Admiral Nelson in paddock. Both Qaader and Yazaman both in my tracker and probably siding with latter.
    4. I will retain my faith in English King!
    5. I think the favourite will win purely because a) it was obviously given to Donnacha to kickstart his career and b) Ryan picks it over super tough and consistent Magic Wand. But I love Nazeef so she may carry a pound or two of mine.
    Last three races don’t really interest hugely so dependent on what sort of day I am having
    6 Running Back
    7. Miss Chess (half sis to Fancy Blue)
    8. Leave
    May be nothing, but I'd worry about Nazeef, previous 4 Gosden horses have all run poorly, so far?

Thanks
    Yazaman too short.

Highland Chief too risky with only two places going.

I have a near-dormant account with Betfred ('only when desperate' is my mantra with them) but they're going three places in the big race so I've backed One Voice 16/1 with them. Alpine Star is as good as the fav so why is One Voice representing the stable here? Just curious and curious enough to pay to find out.
    One Voice cracking chance Mo no sort of run last time, she's a very nice type I think, tough race obviously but at the prices fair shout. Highland Chief just back him on the nut or forecast him.
    Last edited by Danny; 30th July 2020 at 2:43 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    I had it between him and Starcat, edging towards Starcat now as that horse has halved in price.
    Got 4th but they pulled Lucander at the start so reduced my bet to 3 places, everytime

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cracking run by Highland Chief. He went off a big price too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    They finally got Mogul fit!
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    2.15 Yazaman?
    2.45 Highland Chief?
    3.15 One Voice?
    My father is haunting me today...

"Hoose full o' second prizes"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Therightroad (30th July 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What do we think of Afaaks chance in the Golden Mile tomorrow. I am sure someone mentioned him on here a run or two ago. Maybe 20/1 is a good price each way?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    What do we think of Afaaks chance in the Golden Mile tomorrow. I am sure someone mentioned him on here a run or two ago. Maybe 20/1 is a good price each way?
    I like either him or Vale Of Kent. Hmmm. Tricky choice.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Vale Of Kent's Goodwood record 32142. Those weren't 3K races either - All top handicaps!
    Last edited by Marb; 30th July 2020 at 3:50 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (30th July 2020), Therightroad (30th July 2020)