Thread: Glorious Goodwood 2020

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Frankie nearly blew it. Overconfident.

Still, job done.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I’m not sure he was overconfident. I think the race was a bit muddling pacewise and then he suddenly had three on his immediate outside when they suddenly quickened. Fortunately the horse has that accelerator pedal. It probably wasn’t the race connections had planned but his opposition was never going to make it easy for him.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Having watched the race again, I reckon he won a lot more easily than on first impressions.

I thought Frankie looked overconfident in the sense that he looked as if he knew he had Nayef Road and Santiago beat and was just waiting to press the button but maybe didn't expect the other two to loom up on his outside at that stage. He looked as though he was going to have to barge his way out but Tudhope kindly let him out

Just listening in the background to the so-called social stable comments. The superlatives about the race itself are a load of shite. It was a very unsatisfactory race and the only excitement was that brief moment when it looked like Strad might have trouble getting out.

Strad apart, it was a duff race.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 28th July 2020 at 3:42 PM.

Thanks
    He was handicapped by both weight and tactics of the other jockeys which added a dimension to the spectacle.

I will freely admit that I don't watch that much flat racing...

Thanks
    The only weight factor was giving a 3yo 15lbs which is weight for age and in this case the 3yo came up short. The rest were on level weights.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will Mark Johnston send Meraas to the group two against Battaash or go for his other entry in the Stewards Cup? I didn't see he was entered in the latter...
    Last edited by Marb; 28th July 2020 at 4:09 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Not a lot I fancy tomorrow. Spanish Mission the biggest threat to Stradivarius in my opinion I fully expect him to run a monster tomorrow if given a proper gallop which he should be guaranteed here.
    Well I absolutely did my poke on that with no excuses so I'll take it on the chin with regards the loss. What hurts more than that though is Strads winning margin over Nayef Road albeit a bit of a meesy race. I would of had the absolute lot on if I could of got a match bet between Spanish and Nayef. He absolutely smashed him at Newmarket last year in a proper run contest. Then when Nayef turned the tables on him at Goodwood after that it was a slow run affair Nayef got first run and Spanish had come down with a bad case of the Spencer's he should of easily beat him that day. As said not much I can do about it and I'd have rather gone for it big and have it go wrong than of have it win and then wondering why I didn't fill him in.

Really dissapointed with that.

Well done Jinny on the double and any other winners I've missed today. Good luck with the rest. I'm off to lick my wounds for a couple of days...or maybe just overnight
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    The only weight factor was giving a 3yo 15lbs which is weight for age and in this case the 3yo came up short. The rest were on level weights.
    That's still a decent lump to give away to a Derby winner.

Thanks
    Here's Tuesday's betting report from the Star Sports office, all the big bet action from day one of Glorious Goodwood. https://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/simo...dwood-tuesday/

Thanks
    I had a barney on the phone with the brother before racing. He really fancied Santiago because of the weight difference. I was arguing that it was wfa therefore to be ignored. He disagreed. While we were on the phone I was on the laptop going back through the last 10 renewals. The only 3yo winner was... Stradivarius. Other 3yos had run and failed. I think Dashing Willoughby last year may have been the best apart from Stradivarius.

If the weight difference really mattered you'd expect the roll of honour to be littered with 3yos. It isn't. There are very few of them.

And I would fancy Strad to beat Santiago at 12f.

(I'd fancy myself to beat Santiago at 12f for that matter. The 3yos, Love and Serpentine apart, are well below average.)

Thanks
    I see people still having problems with wfa, and sectionals are even more complicate.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    If the weight difference really mattered you'd expect the roll of honour to be littered with 3yos. It isn't. There are very few of them.
    To be fair it's only been a Group 1 since 2017
    Last edited by Euronymous; 28th July 2020 at 6:53 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (28th July 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunybay View Post
    I see people still having problems with wfa, and sectionals are even more complicate.
    If you see people struggling, it does no harm to give them a hand Suny. Perhaps the greatest use of a forum is for some to teach and others to learn.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    Will Mark Johnston send Meraas to the group two against Battaash or go for his other entry in the Stewards Cup? I didn't see he was entered in the latter...
    Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    On ATR Charlie J states that horse will only run if something amiss with Battaash otherwise it’s Stewards Cup.

Thanks
    Fascinating Sussex tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    A race to savour imo! Invariably this race often becomes a clash between two good horses. This year we have three cracking colts plus Circus Maximus and you cannot rule out Wichita.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If you see people struggling, it does no harm to give them a hand Suny. Perhaps the greatest use of a forum is for some to teach and others to learn.
    Over the years, Danny, quite a few of us have tried to be helpful but as often as not we are slagged off by people who either refuse to see our reasoning, see it but disagree in a disrespectful way or dismiss us as being anoraks.

The appreciative ones are in the minority. Those are the ones I engage with beyond the forum.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (28th July 2020)

Thanks
    A race to savour imo! Invariably this race often becomes a clash between two good horses. This year we have three cracking colts plus Circus Maximus and you cannot rule out Wichita.
    I think it will be a good race for second place. Mohaather will win as easily as Strad.

Thanks
    Tactically it could be interesting with the O'Brien three drawn 5,6 and 7.
    Hopefully no hard luck stories!
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.