Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516

Thread: Juvenile Hurdlers 2020/2021

Thanks
    Thank you so much for keeping this thread going, BH. I can see just how much work you have devoted to the thread, and that’s going to take its toll; especially when a “hobby” clashes with the demands of real life. Your analysis has been incredibly detailed and insightful. It is people such as yourself that keep forums alive (I know you contribute to TRF too). You may not get always get feedback from forumites, but I’m sure even the casual interloper such as myself will read most of your race analysis.

I wish you a well-earned rest, and that you come refreshed in a few months’ time. But only if you’re ready.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Make yourself number one for the foreseeable, BH.

Take all the time you need but either way this forum will never forget you.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    BH, just to echo the previous comments and firstly to thank you for a wonderfully insightful and knowledge filled thread that for me at least was a highlight of this forum for the last 12 months. Secondly you have absolutely nothing even in the slightest to apologise to anyone for and finally and most importantly look after number 1!

Thanks
    Thank you, BH... for an exceptional Series...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I thought Zoffanien was as impressive as any Juvi I have seen this season....an electrifying burst of speed and travels well....Hope he runs on tthhe first day 14/1 available nrnb with Hills
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    BH, I would like to add my thanks to the very eloquent posts above, which make clear how much your contributions have been appreciated here.

Thanks
    Tritonic's wide-margin win in the Adonis – a noted Triumph trial – earned him a Timeform rating of 144p, placing him narrowly above Quilixios (143p), Monmiral (143p) and Zanahiyr (141p) in the juvenile pecking order.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbet View Post
    Tritonic's wide-margin win in the Adonis – a noted Triumph trial – earned him a Timeform rating of 144p, placing him narrowly above Quilixios (143p), Monmiral (143p) and Zanahiyr (141p) in the juvenile pecking order.
    I find it difficult to trust those ratings.

They smack of deference to historical race standards rather than measuring actual performance.

Personally, I don't think there is anything within 10lbs of Zanahiyr.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Incredibly Tritonic is gone favourite across the board.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Think on the brightside.......If Tritonic wins the Trumph in the same fashion as he did the Adonis then we have a starter for 10 for the 2022 Champion Hurdle thread
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef or Salmon View Post
    Incredibly Tritonic is gone favourite across the board.
    Probably got some part to do with the Elliot fiasco playing out at the moment...

Thanks

Juvenile Hurdlers 2020/2021

Very reminiscent of last year when Goshen & Allmankind had been vying for favouritism until Solo took the Adonis apart and surpassed them at the head of the betting.

Then come the day he drifted and all the money came for Goshen
    Last edited by wilsonl; 2nd March 2021 at 8:29 AM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    The machine would indicate that French Aseel won't be on the boat.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjers View Post
    The machine would indicate that French Aseel won't be on the boat.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...CHASEEL_050321
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Tritonis is rated well below the 151 Goshen was....seems very short to me as the Adonis was just too easy a race.....this wil be much much tougher
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    pity a very nice horse
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Zanahyir being smashed up this morning will go off odds on.

Thanks
    Many thanks for the kind words. While I should and would rather like to address the messages individually, I am quite worn from the work I've done today and am not a huge fan of fussing over myself.

General update is a bit of a cliche... Slow and steady recovery... Good days starting to outweigh the bad and so on and so on. Cheltenham was a pretty difficult watch from the sidelines so to speak. Not least because the 80/1 winner of the Fred Winter was, to my foggy recollection, the only runner whose most recent run had a rating which was not surpassed by the official figure. Would I have selected Jeff Kidder as the strong prospect? Undoubtedly. My concerns over whether Zanahiyr would be balanced enough around Cheltenham also played out but such is life.

In the meantime, I have been taking decent enough care of myself, interacting with half-decent influences on my life and adding copious amounts of data to my records in preparation for the next jumps season. Much like the bloke who retreated to the hills to grow a beard and chop some wood, I have also been hanging out in the wilderness which is the Courses France forum where I have been studying the French three-year-olds. Rather than clutter these boards with a 2021/2022 thread even though I abandoned the 2020/2021 thread, and uneducated insight into the happenings across La Manche can be found here.

https://c-f.fr/forum/courses-obstacl...-haies-en-2021

For the benefit of those heretics among us who worship at the altar of French jumps action, this is what I posted today...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    For reasons which are unclear to myself, I have done detailed previews for tomorrow's three-year-old races at Auteuil. This is not a habit which I would like to maintain, but as they have been written, so they shall be posted.

Two of the more interesting debutant contests of the season are set to take place tomorrow at Auteuil in the Geographie and the Grandak. The former, a race for fillies, is not quite as prolific as the Wild Monarch, but it did launch the career of a Cambaceres winner in 2015 when Chimere Du Berlais finished sixth to Prix Sagan heroine Carlita Du Berlais. Ambroise, winner in 2013, followed up in that year's Bournosienne and would maintain her success as a four-year-old winning the de Pepinvast and the Amadou. Baie Des Iles, sixth in 2014, would perhaps achieve the greatest success as an older horse taking the Prix des Drags at seven years old. She would also be the most successful recent export, although Adriana des Mottes and Missy Tata would attain useful form with Irish handlers. Tomorrow's contest contains representatives of Guillaume Macaire and Francois Nicolle, with pedigrees featuring the likes of Nirvana du Berlais, Indietir, Libaute and Don Poli all catching the eye.

Beautiful Horse rof Jean-Yves Artu f2-0-0
    Tin Horse (Sinndar){4-m}(1.22) 0.5 Hollywood Park 1st 3yo Claiming Hurdle, Auteuil 2016
    Twice well beaten on the flat, the latest being at Durtal last November, Beutiful Horse has some pretentions to making a better hurdler. A half-sister to a couple of minor winners, her sire Tin Horse also has a respectable strike rate in lesser contests. However, the yard does not fare well in races of this nature and others have considerably more substantial profiles.

Stanstead grf Erwan Grall Unraced
    Al Namix (Califet){4-d}(0.43) 2/0 Dusky Royale 2nd Prix Finot (L), Auteuil 2005
    Erwan Grall has yet to win a valuable three-year-old hurdle, but he has had a couple of seconds already this term and was the source of the useful Paul Nicholls juvenile Good Ball. Incidentally, Stanstead's half-brother Finistere finished third to Good Ball at Newbury, and the pedigree gets more interesting further back as both his uncle Polisky and granddam Dusky Royale each finished runner-up in the Prix Finot. Third dam Marie des Epeires won the Gerald de Rochefort (L,4yo) and is the matriarch of a family which includes Salut Flo, Balko des Flos and Vision des Flos. Sire Al Namix is capable of getting useful sorts, examples being Street Name, Grandouet and Saphir Du Rheu, although his overall strike rate with 3yo jumpers is just 7.94%.

Flash Davier bf Carlos & Yann Lerner Unraced
    Doctor Dino (Dansili){10}(0.71) 0.5 Queen Davier 1st 3yo Conditions Hurdle, Cagnes-sur-Mer 2020
    A niece of talented flat stayer Mille et Mille, Flash Davier should not want for stamina. Her being a half-sister to a winning hurdler, and a daughter of the talented sire Doctor Dino further boost her credentials. The record of the Lerners in this level of competition, 3.88% strike rate in valuable 3yo hurdles contests, does temper enthusiasm somewhat and there are more compelling jumping pedigrees on display.

Dalikam bf Guillaume Macaire Unraced
    Kamsin (Trempolino){16-d}(1.18) 1/0 Dalina 2nd Prix Amadou (G2), Auteuil 2007
    One such pedigree would be that of Dalikam whose dam, Dalina, finished second in the Prix Amadou ahead of producing useful handicapper Mon Lino. Dalikam is also a niece of Multipass, who won the Prix Georges de Talhouet-Roy, and a cousin of Gold Cup third Don Poli and Grand Prix d'Automne third Dulce Leo. Kamsin has a solid winners to runners rate of 30.43% which includes Adjali and On The Go for trainer Guillaume Macaire. The Macaire stable has had three winners and seven placings in this contest since 2008 and Dalikam is the sole representative here.

Wiskalina grf Etienne & Gregoire Leenders Unraced
    No Risk At All (Martaline){5}(0.54) 1/0 Wiccalina 3rd Prix d'Iena (L), Auteuil 2014
    Wiccalina made a winning debut at Auteuil in 2014 before following up in the Girofla and finishing third in the d'Iena for Etienne Leenders. Connections will be hoping that her first daughter, Wiskalina, can carry the same colours with similar grace this term - particularly as success in this division has been a rare commodity. The dam has been given every chance being paired with No Risk At All who along with Allaho and Epatante, has also produced smart youngsters in Aterisk, Ajas and Gumball.

Impressionpositive chf Isabelle Pacault Unraced
    Martinborough (Volochine){7-f}(1.67) 0.5 Winneyev 1st Prix duc d'Anjou (G3), Auteuil 2015
    Having his first crop of jumpers in 2021, Martinborough's credentials as jumps sire are not immediately apparent. He was a good handicapper in Japan, but was not top drawer and at 1.63m is not the biggest of stallions. His own sire, Deep Impact, has not had a jumper in Europe although he did produce Red Kingdom who won the Grade One Nakayama Daishogai in 2014. Martinborough's first hurdler finished second in a claimer earlier this week and he is doubly represented in this field. Impressionpositive has the more appealing of the two damlines as she is a half-sister to duc d'Anjou winner Winneyev, and out of a winning 3yo hurdler. Isabelle Pacault does not have the strongest record in the sphere however as her latest winner in a decent contest came when Si Tu Viens took the 2009 Prix Go Ahead.

It's Easy bf David Cottin Unraced
    Kapgarde (Vindication){8-f}(1.40) 0.5 Indietir 2nd Prix Cambaceres (G1), Auteuil 2015
    Though from the distant family of Nijinsky and The Minstrel, It's Easy's damline had been an uneventful American one before Indietra produced Indietir to finish second in the 2015 Cambaceres. She also has a maiden winner at Uttoxeter although while Kapgarde does get useful youngsters, he is more given to fathering chasers. David Cottin saddled the second and third in this race last year and had his first 3yo winner of the season when La Boetie won at Fontainebleau today.

Ninabela Has blf Francois Nicolle Unraced
    Saint Des Saints (Martaline){4-r}(0.43) 2/1 Nirvana Du Berlais 1st Prix Cambaceres, Auteuil 2019
    Francois Nicolle has had a winner and a third from two runners in this contest and is set to saddle two runners here. Ninabela Has is the mount of Angelo Zuliani and would just about have the nicer pedigree of the pair. A daughter of Saint des Saints, her dam is a full-sister to Nirvana du Berlais, and half-sister to Aubusson. Mon Parrain, Ma Filleule and Mon Filleul are but a handful of other talented horses attached to the damline.

Bella Scintilla bf Daniela Mele Unraced
    Martinborough (Irish Wells){1-n}(1.40) 1/0 Bells 1st 3600m 4yo Conditions Hurdle, La Teste de Buch 2013
    Bella Scintilla is the second representative of Martinborough. Out of a provincial winner, her third dam Balioka was a listed class chaser. Daniela Mele's record in the sphere is respectable without being outstanding.

Sideralis bf Laurent Viel Unraced
    Kapgarde (Martaline){14}(0.65) 1/0 Biche d'Oo 1st Prix Geographie, Auteuil 2014
    Biche d'Oo won the 2014 renewal of the Prix Geographie and her first foal to reach the track, Sideralis, will be making her debut in the same contest. Passing through Arqana as a yearling, she went unsold at €16,000 and her debut comes in the care of a handler with a lamentable record in this type of contest.

Les Yeux Vert bf Francois Nicolle Unraced
    Martaline (Poliglote){8-i}(0.52) 1/0 Fleurs des Yeux 5th Prix Bournosienne (G3), Auteuil 2015
    Though she may be Francois Nicolle's second string, Les Yeux Vert still has a respectable pedigree. Out of a fairly useful juvenile, she is also a niece of Sainte Gaya and a cousin of Saint Xavier. Martaline's record in the sphere is highly credible with his average prize money figure being the best in this field. He has also produced two winners of this particular contest.

Ma Beaute grf Marcel Rolland Unraced
    Montmartre (High Yield){7-e}(0.43) 1/0 Libaute 3rd Prix Renaud du Vivier (G1), Auteuil 2011
    Ma Beaute is out of the talented Libaute, although sire Montmartre is in a similar mould to Al Namix in that while he is capable of siring good jumpers, his overall record is just below average. Marcel Rolland gets his winners in this sphere but his record is stronger outside of debutant contests.

Possibilités
    Puissant
    Ninabela Has
    Dalikam
    Raisonnable
    Les Yeux Vert
    Wiskalina
    It's Easy
    Faisable
    Stanstead
    Ma Beaute
    Sideralis
    Flash Davier
    Modéré
    Impressionpositive
    Bella Scintilla
    Délaissés
    Beautiful Horse

The Prix Grandak has been the launchpad of many quality racehorse domestically and internationally, as youngsters and as established stars. Those fitting the latter bill include On The Go, Storm Of Saintly and Golden Flight, while Saint des Saints, Bonito du Berlais and Beaumec De Houelle enjoyed success in their initial campaigns. While Golden Flight did not cover himself in glory after being exported, the likes of Frodon, Far West, Quel Destin, Aerial and We Have A Dream proved worthy investments. This year's renewal could prove to be right up to scratch as Leenders, Cottin and Nicolle are each double handed, Macaire and Chaille-Chaille also have representation, and some illustrious pedigrees include close relatives of A Plus Tard, La Bague Au Roi, Moises Has, Top Notch and Worldbest.

Imprenable bg Gabriel Leenders Unraced
    Choeur du Nord (Saint Cyrien){19-a}(0.78) 0.5 Tarabel 3rd Prix Carmarthen (G3), Auteuil 2012
    Choeur du Nord was a talented early-season jumper prior to his early retirement, and he made a respectable start with a first crop headed by Baladin de Mesc. He is represented by Imprenable who is a half-brother to Prix Carmarthen placed Tarabel along with several who enjoyed success in chases. Gabriel Leenders saddled Kerfany to finish second in the 2019 edition of this race, although he has a stronger looking representative in File au Poteau.

File au Poteau bc Gabriel Leenders Unraced
    Doctor Dino (Kahyasi){1-h}(1.40) 0.5 A Plus Tard 2nd Cheltenham Gold Cup (G1), Cheltenham 2021
    Much of File au Poteau's appeal comes from his being a half brother to Gold Cup runner-up A Plus Tard. A Plus Tard did make a winning debut as a three-year-old , albeit at Saint-Brieuc in October, and while Doctor Dino's record as a sire in the division is commendable, his offspring typically take a race or two to get going including File au Poteau's aunt, l'Aubonniere. Nevertheless, Gabriel Leenders does have a good record in this type of contest, and his most recent pair of three-year-olds have been winners.

The Machine bc Guillaume Macaire Unraced
    Kapgarde (Saint des Saints){12-g}(1.00) 2/1 Top Notch 1st 1965 Chase (G2), Ascot 2017
    Mention of "The Machine" will provoke most British and Irish racing fans to think of Faugheen. This inevitably gives The Machine enormous horseshoes to fill. Notwithstanding, the sole runner of the Macaire team, which has won this race nine times since 2000, has solid credentials. Though Kapgardes tend to develop with experience, dam Holy Virgin finished second in the Geographie on the corresponding card in 2013 while uncle Top Notch won twice as a three-year-old during the spring before finishing runner-up in the Triumph. Cousins Never Adapt and Yes Indeed also finished first and second respectively in their Prix d'Essais. Laganeste/Macaire have had just one win from fourteen runners this term, although the win was by the deeply impressive Impressive, and the yard also had a runner-up on Saturday at Fontainebleau.

Porticello bg David Cottin Unraced
    Sholokhov (Chichicastenango){31}(0.87) 2/1 Worldbest 3rd Grand Prix d'Automne (G1), Auteuil 2009
    Mica Malpic won this race last year for David Cottin, and the Le Lion D’Angers trainer saddles two here. Porticello's most notable close relative is Grand Prix d'Automne third Worldbest, although there is also some precocity as his aunt Orcantara finished third in a Bournosienne, and his cousin Invicter placed second in the Cambaceres. Though Sholokhov is a Gold Cup winning sire, he is also responsible for Shishkin as well as classy youngsters Msassa, Esmondo and the aforementioned Invicter. However, Kevin Nabet has taken the ride on Magistrato.

Magistrato bg David Cottin Unraced
    Kapgarde (Poliglote){3-d}(1.00) 1/0 Franche Alliance 2nd Prix Beugnot (L,63.0), Enghien 2015
    Magistrato would appear to be David Cottin's first string on jockey bookings, although he would not look best suited to the 3000 metre trip. Though his dam was placed in a listed handicap, this did not come until she was seven years old and her half-sister La Bague Au Roi is another who improved with age. While third dam Alle Sarthoise placed in a Prix Finot, she herself was a half-sister to Clan Royal who twice filled the frame in the Grand National.

Mourinho Has bc Francois Nicolle Unraced
    Saint des Saints (Dernier Empereur){4-i}(1.50) 0.5 Moises Has 1st Prix Renaud du Vivier (G1), Auteuil 2020
    Francois Nicolle has trained a substantial amount of good three-year-old hurdlers over the years, yet the Grandak is a race which has passed without success despite ten attempts. He fields two this year, the first being a half-brother to Prix Renaud du Vivier winner Moises Has. Mourinho Has, unsold for €85,000 at Arqana last year, is also a full-brother to novice hurdler Mocacreme Has, and a nephew of Mocolacato Has and Momita Has - winners of the Fifrelet and the Wild Monarch respectively. However, he does not appear to be the first-string on jockey bookings.

Coup de Coeur bg Francois Nicolle Unraced
    No Risk At All (Great Pretender){8-i}(0.20) 0.5 Chichi de la Vega 1st Prix Fifrelet (L,60.0), Auteuil 2020
    Angelo Zuliani takes the mount on Coup de Coeur, a No Risk At All half-brother to last season's Fifrelet winner Chichi de la Vega. He is also related to two jumps stallions in Cokoriko (2/1) and Choeur du Nord (3/1) along with Benie des Dieux at 3/2. The duality of Nicolle's profile has just been touched upon and as mentioned earlier, No Risk At All is a fine stallion who along with Allaho and Epatante, has also produced smart youngsters in Aterisk, Ajas and Gumball.

Nambiti bg Isabelle Pacault Unraced
    Walk In The Park (Smadoun){14-e}(0.64) 2/1 Marcilhac 2nd Prix James Hennessy (L), Auteuil 2013
    Nambiti's dam is a full-sister to Marcilhac and Marminhac - each of whom have finished placed at listed level. Walk In The Park needs little introduction as the sire of Douvan and Min, although his record with three-year-olds, as with that of trainer Isabelle Pacault, is decidedly below average.

Odiago bg Arnaud Chaille-Chaille Unraced
    Night Wish (Tremoplino){1-u}(0.78) 2/0 Lolita du Berlais 3rd Prix Girofla, Auteuil 2009
    Arnaud Chaille-Chaille has a very strong record in the division with three wins from his first three runners this year complementing his 20% strike rate in valuable contests. His latest runner Odiago, who cost €18,000 as a yearling, is from a granddam who finished third in the 2009 Girofla. She herself is a sibling of very talented young jumpers including Bonita du Berlais, Bonito du Berlais and Nikita du Berlais. Curiously, while all these won in graded company, none managed to win in debutant contests, though they all managed to place including two on this corresponding card. Odiago is set to be the first jumps runner for Night Wish who ticks the right boxes insofar as size and stamina are concerned and his own sire, Sholokhov, has a fine record in the division.

Safe Flight bg Robert Collet Unraced
    Clovis du Berlais (Midnight Legend){16-h}(0.67) 2/0 Perle de Puce 1st Kennel Gate Novices' Hurdle (G2), Ascot 2003
    Safe Flight is another representing a freshman stallion, this time in Clovis du Berlais. While a talented young jumper, it would be a stretch to have described him as top class and his first win over hurdles did not come until a handicap on his fifth start. At 1.68m, the size is certainly there, although his being by King's Theatre does not mark him as a precocious sort. Currently standing at Haras du Lion, he was initially based at Yorton Farm from where Safe Flight was consigned as a yearling prior to fetching £25,000. Damsire Midnight Legend also detracts from his prospects as a three-year-old, although there is still class to be found in the pedigree as third dam Ma Puce finished third in the 1990 Grande Course de Haies d'Auteuil, and fourth dam Perle des Chaumes filled the same position in the 1977 Grand Prix d'Automne. Robert Collet does not have a great overall record in the division, although he has saddled a winner and two places in this particular contest from his last eight runners.

Possibilités
    Puissant
    The Machine
    Odiago
    Raisonnable
    File au Poteau
    Coup de Coeur
    Mourinho Has
    Faisable
    Safe Flight
    Porticello
    Modéré
    Magistrato
    Imprenable
    Délaissés
    Nambiti

And there's also a race at Lyon
    Missed Cue chf David Cottin Unraced
    Kapgarde (King's Theatre){1-h}(0.87) 1/0 Cue To Cue 4th Doncaster Mares' Hurdle (G2), Doncaster 2012
    Iamastar bg David Cottin Unraced
    Balko (Poliglote){u}(0.67) 0.5 Elegant Star 1st 4600m Cross Country Chase, Pau 2020
    Jogo de la Serre bg Gabriel Leenders Unraced
    Jeu St Eloi (Al Namix){2-n}(0.50) 2/1 Semiramiss 2nd Prix Gaston de Bataille (L,XC) Pau 2012
    Cedriyannh bf Mathieu Pitart Unraced
    Sinndar (Epalo){9-e}(1.00) 2/1 Bonne Eleve 1st Prix Dawn Run (L), Auteuil 2018
    Irreprochable bf Kevin Herzog Unraced
    On Est Bien (Montmartre){8-f}(0.33) 1/0 Rain Artist's 1st 3500m 4&5yo Fillies Conditions Hurdle, Enghien 2015
    Red Light grf Sebastien Culin f3-1-2 EsF
    Morandi (Gone West){11-d}(3.33) 0.5 Red Love Moon 1st 3500m 4yo Fillies Maiden Hurdle, Hyeres 2015
    Treasure Keeper bc Kevin Herzog j1-0-0
    Gemix (Footstepsinthesand){13}(0.50) 2/1 Icar 4th 3800m Conditions Hurdle, Wissembourg 2018
    Kalon Breizh bg Mathieu Pitart f3-0-0 (28.0)
    Penny's Picnic (Elusive City){4-n}(1.55) 2/1 Iolith 1st 2m Novices' Hurdle, Kempton 2010
    Darlo bg Sebastien Culin f3-0-0
    Belardo (Oasis Dream){14}(3.00) No jumps relatives 3/1 Falco 5/1 Groom Dancer

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

As for any summary I could give which would be of interest to British and Irish observers, no horse, as far as I can tell, has been sent to these shores. The most exciting prospect thus far has been an impressive animal who goes by the name of Impressive. Reviews to the races that have happened thus far can again be found

https://c-f.fr/forum/courses-obstacl...n-2021?start=0

there.

That will do for now I think. Lots of love and good will and all that.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bachelors Hall For This Useful Post:

Grey (4th April 2021), luckyme (3rd April 2021)