Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Longshot Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good write up, Danny.

I will have to include this horse in my L15 on Saturday.

Thanks
    Well don't worry about it you could still get 3 winners Marb
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Probably just the market adjusting to the slightly smaller field with the final decs but I notice Max Vega is blue in a number of places and 40s tops. I might go in again at that price if I can get the extra place.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Probably just the market adjusting to the slightly smaller field with the final decs but I notice Max Vega is blue in a number of places and 40s tops. I might go in again at that price if I can get the extra place.
    Drawn in historically favoured stall 7
    Last edited by wilsonl; 2nd July 2020 at 6:28 PM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (2nd July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Magnetic force 745 navan 50/1

Won the race last year off 3lb lower and followed up off 1lb higher.wasnt beaten that far behind njord last time.50s look generous.
    And I will be checking the extra place market.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Danny (2nd July 2020)

Thanks
    Good spot, Outsider, and a fine example of what this thread can turn up.
    I will have a dabble on Magnetic Force. I have already backed Tauran Shaman at 8’s last evening. Looked to me last time out to be clearing the pipes in readiness for a run although not as soon as this. Since I have had a brief, and much needed, good run recently fuelled by the performance of the Harrington team I have a worthwhile bet so now one to add for the forecast.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

Outsider (3rd July 2020)

Thanks
    Didn't need those extra places mate what a pick. I've seen some guys big themselves up online over the years but you are quiet, humble and one of the best judges I've seen. Top man !
    Last edited by Danny; 3rd July 2020 at 7:59 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Outsider (3rd July 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Great shout that outsider

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tincan For This Useful Post:

Outsider (3rd July 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've had a look at the Derby ahead of the final dec stage tomorrow just to see if I can steal anything at a price.

I've taken Max Vega at 50/1.

He finished his 2yo season rated 110, higher than most of his rivals this weekend. On his return at Kempton he was shorter in the betting (100/30) than both Berlin Tango (7/1 rated 98, RPR for winning 108) and Pyledriver (40/1, 103, 104). The former improved at Ascot in finishing third to Russian Emperor, who is fancied by some on here, to an RPR of 111 and is now rated 110. Pyledriver also improved to win at Ascot and is also now rated 110.

The Beckett yard was in dreadful form at the time and I would expect significant improvement on that effort. Beckett is adamant the colt will stay 12f 'on his head' with plenty of stamina in the female line.

On the down side, it remains to be seen if he has developed well enough physically but Beckett isn't one for tilting at windmills in big races having won the Oaks with the 96-rated Talent back in the day and won the St Leger with Simple Verse more recently.

I can't help thinking he wouldn't have left Max Vega in the race for a bit of fun. With so many doubts over so many others, there has to be a chance he could progress well beyond his 110 mark, in which case he could have a squeak.
    Missed the price on this, but like the angle Maurice. I backed Talent at the time with similar thoughts. I'll follow/curse you with this albeit at 28/1. Good luck mate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've done two cliff horses in the 305 Naas.
    gopsies daughter 20/1 is so well hcapped.now 21 lb below its last winning mark.
    The other is Straffan 66/1 I was confident this horse would win a race but so far it hasnt really threatened.will have to look at the extra place market.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Danny (3rd July 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well done, Outsider.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Haydock 2.40 Byron's Choice 33/1. Lower odds are available to four places but still qualify for the thread. This one was running well in races of this nature off 91 and 93 last season and gets in here off 87, probably an over-reaction to a poor return performance last month. He should probably be a single-figure price on his best form.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (4th July 2020)

Thanks
    Haydock 3.50 Sacred Belief 66/1 - I only looked at this race as part of the ITV7 otherwise it is a barge-pole job.

However, I noticed RP man Ben Hutton tipped it in the Spotlight section so since he has spent time looking at the race and decided this was worth selecting I've taken it in the comp. He probably wasn't anticipating 66/1 being available but you never know.

Anyroads, here's his synopsis:

Given this week's rain a chance is taken on SACRED BELIEF
    . She showed just minor promise at Lingfield on last month's debut but the dam's side of her pedigree suggests soft ground will suit and that could be a major plus.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 4th July 2020 at 12:13 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (4th July 2020)

Thanks
    I've been unable to resist a little sickness insurance on Dolphin Vista at 50/1 in this 3.00 at Epsom. Local trainer and I've put it up before only for it to let me down.

Thanks
    Haydock 2.40 Byron's Choice 33/1. Lower odds are available to four places but still qualify for the thread. This one was running well in races of this nature off 91 and 93 last season and gets in here off 87, probably an over-reaction to a poor return performance last month. He should probably be a single-figure price on his best form.
    Got involved in the over-fast pace. Principals came from the back. Forgivable.

Thanks
    I can't see past Love in the Oaks but I managed to get 20/1 ew Passion in the market without Love but I've also taken 33/1 in the full market.

I think plenty of those shorter in the market won't be true stayers.

Thanks
    I can't see past Love in the Oaks .
    Just couldn't understand how anybody could fancy anything else in the race. Only danger was Moore fvcking it up, which is the main reason I din't back it, but even I would have won on that.

Impressive winner of a pish race.

Thanks
    I find myself being drawn towards a lot of shortish single-figure-priced horses today but will have a small saver on Frankuus (Haydock 3.15) who probably shouldn't be 50/1, certainly not on his best form. That, though, is probably the rub. He was taken out of training but is now with O'Meara. Gelded since his final run last season, his better run was first time up. The ground might not suit but he won on it in his youth and was taken out of a race last week because of fast ground. Maybe there was a physical problem that gelding has sorted and, by the way, he was 3/3 here for Mark Johnston.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 5th July 2020 at 10:53 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (5th July 2020), Outsider (5th July 2020)

Thanks
    I knew you were going to put this up today i sort of made the same case myself, its certainly one that could go horribly wrong but if anyone can pull a master stroke like that its O'meara. Its certainly a strange move to send him over the mile and a half first time up perhaps he thinks being gelded has settled him down a bit.

I'll be watching with interest D.O good luck.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (5th July 2020)

Thanks
    I was pleased to see Frankuus go forward from the start the other day and equally saddened to see him pull up, the jockey reporting that he lost his action. Fortunately, the horse was reported sound after the race and maybe the jockey's caution will pay dividends in due course. I imagine when next week's ORs are published he'll have been dropped a few pounds so the cloud might come with a silver lining.

As for today, I don't have any single longshots but I've dabbled in doubles for the sake of an interest.

At Market Rasen, Highly Prized (9/2) and my old pal San Benedeto (10/1) will pay 54/1 if both win as I hope.

Highly Prized, remember, was still close up at the last in the Betfair when hampered right out of the race. A repeat of that promise would probably be good enough to win here.

San Benedeto is better than a handicapper when they let him loose. If he's been trained for this he just needs to be close to his last win to be good enough.

Ghostwatch (3.00 Nwm, 11/1) and Global Storm (3.35 Nwm, 11/2) are better than the bare results at Ascot and represent a team in superb form. These races represent a drop in class for them an the double pays 77/1.

And, as the British women used to say during the war, I feel a Yankee coming on.