Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dominic Cummings

Thanks
    When Johnson talks about integrity I find it quite interesting to see how many people defend the indefensible even now. I know plenty of right wing voters who are angry at Cummings behaviour [and Johnsons defence of him]. So I have to question the integrity of those who defend both of them at this moment in time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Illegitimi non carborundum

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

archie (26th May 2020), Desperate Dan (26th May 2020)

Thanks
    According to a yougov poll 52% of Brexit voters think he should resign.

700,000+ on the petition now.

Thanks
    I understand that everyone believes that they're a special case and many people will have 'bent' the rules over the last couple of months. On what would have been her birthday, I drove 5 miles to where my late wife's ashes were spread to spend a few minutes with her. I live on my own and didn't come within 2 metres of anyone on that trip but, not only was it against the UK rules, it was also against the law in Wales. I would have been quite happy to cough up £60 had I been stopped and questioned and I would also have been quite happy to express regret that my own NHS area had been subjected to a marginal extra risk.

Cummings has expressed no regret at putting a different NHS area at risk and using their resources. He quite clearly thinks that the rules that he created for everyone else don't apply to him. By standing by him, Johnson is underlining the us and them gulf in our society and, with any luck, it will come back and bite him. His surly and truncated performances in the briefings on Sunday and Monday showed all the signs of someone who is losing it and a proper examination by this week's committee plus more forensic stuff from Starmer when parliament is back in session is the least that we are due.
    Last edited by archie; 26th May 2020 at 7:59 PM.
    The older I get the better I was.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (27th May 2020), Desperate Dan (26th May 2020), frontrunner (26th May 2020), Grey (26th May 2020), moehat (26th May 2020), Tout Seul (26th May 2020)

Thanks
    Did we get to see Robert Peston at the press conference today!
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Should be compulsory listening.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Desperate Dan For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (27th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 883 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    When Johnson talks about integrity I find it quite interesting to see how many people defend the indefensible even now. I know plenty of right wing voters who are angry at Cummings behaviour [and Johnsons defence of him]. So I have to question the integrity of those who defend both of them at this moment in time.
    Integrity doesn't prevaricate, nor is it the preserve of the politically biased.

Thanks
    The government is now a complete laughing stock. And after Matt Lucas` destruction of Johnson there`s a brilliant destruction of Cummings. Don`t have the techy skills but if you google the Durham Dash - a song for Dominic Cummings all will be revealed. Governments rarely recover from being such a laughing stock.

Thanks
    Unfortunately this government seems to believe that "ghosting" a problem issue for long enough makes it go away, rather than addressing their responsibilities.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts
    They do seem determined to tough it out.

Sadly, the British people, who have proved in the last few years that [collectively] they are clueless when it comes to political and economic matters, will probably let them.

To illustrate, check the front page of today's Sun (which basically runs the country, another pointer to the stupidity of British people). No mention of Cummings or Johnson's defence of him. Rather some feelgood headline about soon being able to get together again with family members.

I would like to see the Thursday evening clap for the NHS/Key workers changed to jeering this government.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 27th May 2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Irish economist David McWilliams has said on his podcast that the UK is performing best with monetary policy to save the economy there. Meanwhile BUT BUT BUT Cummings...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Irish economist David McWilliams has said on his podcast that the UK is performing best with monetary policy to save the economy there. Meanwhile BUT BUT BUT Cummings...
    If he'd do the right thing and resign we could get on with other stuff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    They do seem determined to tough it out.

Sadly, the British people, who have proved in the last few years that [collectively] they are clueless when it comes to political and economic matters, will probably let them.

To illustrate, check the front page of today's Sun (which basically runs the country, another pointer to the stupidity of British people). No mention of Cummings or Johnson's defence of him. Rather some feelgood headline about soon being able to get together again with family members.

I would like to see the Thursday evening clap for the NHS/Key workers changed to jeering this government.
    We still won't be getting together with family members because SIL has returned to work in London and my son's daughter is returning to school. As there will still be a risk that either of them could be asymptomatic or presymptomatic we shall avoid them. We protect ourselves not just for our own sake but to protect the NHS from having more older, vulnerable people to treat. Everyone must still do their bit to reduce the infection rate.

Thanks
    He is an economist that knows almost nothing about economics. Was predicting the 2008 crash in 1998 and was then heralded as an oracle when the sh1t hit the fan 10 years later than he predicted

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    He is an economist that knows almost nothing about economics. Was predicting the 2008 crash in 1998 and was then heralded as an oracle when the sh1t hit the fan 10 years later than he predicted

What qualifies you to judge his knowledge of economics?

Thanks
    Apart from an undergraduate degree in economics, a masters degree in economics, and professional experience as an economist, very little!!!

Thanks
    Also monetary policy is the one area that the government does not have direct control over. It is set by the bank of England, who like almost all other other central banks, are (rightly) independent of government.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He is an interesting thinker but lives like a C Byrnes trained JP handicap hurdler. He is only right once every couple of years, even though he does come from Dalkey.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    He is an interesting thinker but lives like a C Byrnes trained JP handicap hurdler. He is only right once every couple of years, even though he does come from Dalkey.
    And he was wrong about peak oil too. I just thought it was interesting that he likes their economic policies to get out of the crisis. He doesn't strike me as being pro-Britian or pro-Tories.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    Apart from an undergraduate degree in economics, a masters degree in economics, and professional experience as an economist, very little!!!

Fair enough. I'm no blind McWillians fan. I think he talks plenty of shite