Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dominic Cummings

Thanks
    Journalists being arrested at protests is not anything new.
    Last edited by Slim; 29th May 2020 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Cummings breaks the rules and lies.
    His wife supports his lies.
    M P`s and senior ministers flood the media and lie.
    The Prime Minister blatantly repeats the lies ….all of them treating the public as fools.
    Maitlis factually reports this....and is reprimanded.
    Aye; they drove through the night, the full length of the country, just for the day out - or, maybe you are blinded by your bias?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Aye; they drove through the night, the full length of the country, just for the day out - or, maybe you are blinded by your bias?
    What part of my post do you regard as factually incorrect?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    The whole Brexit is thing is one big swindle based on extremely tenuous premises. I don't recall reading anything anywhere about any of it being a success unless it actually being voted for qualifies as a 'success'.
    Reckon the 'success' was predicated on Boris achieving a better outcome than his predecessor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    What part of my post do you regard as factually incorrect?
    All of it.

Thanks
    All of it.
    I rest my case.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Journalists being arrested at protests is not anything new.
    Its always 'whataboutery' with Slim. Listening to too many psuedo right wing agitators......clinton foundation to next get mentioned. As if anyone who disagrees with your point of view loves Hillary.

Its not just the journalists getting arrested that I was highlighting (and subsequently released) as the city burns behind them. Its those agitators who try to downplay that killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery etc using these whataboutery tactics, and 'nothing to see here' approach that ensures that it gets to the level they are now seeing in Minneapolis. Same tactics are at a lower level being deployed in the UK. It's successful. Hopefully their disgraceful nature will have shown itself up before its exported from the UK fully.

Thanks
    All of it.
    It's just wilful disagreement with reet, pointless engaging in discussion with him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

reet hard (30th May 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    Its always 'whataboutery' with Slim.
    I'm stating a fact you handicap.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Historic day. After 'twenty years of beligerance*' Slim finally takes a backward step.

(*You can have that one for free as the title of your autobigraphy.)
    Stick that in the bin...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Stick that in the bin...
    But whatabout....?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

Slim (29th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    As I've said before, I've never believed in nor ever voted for Scottish Independence but was seriously tempted to vote SNP at the last general election. It turned out I wasted my vote on Labour.

However, I've also said I would vote for an independent Scotland as part of the EU. Despite all its shortcomings, I'm a great believer in the good things the EU has done for its citizens.

In this article in the Herald (a pro-SNP paper I prefer not to read) which came up today on my FB feed, however, Fidelma Cook articulates just about everything I'm feeling right now:

REMEMBER those days when we looked across to the United States and shook our heads in bafflement and sadness as a reality show host pouted and preened across the stage as the newest president?

How with each ignorant, chest-thumping speech our mouths opened in horror and disbelief?

How we didn’t know then how insane it could truly get as his narcissistic "me, me, me" self-glorification took centre stage on the world’s screens and redneck followers, direct from the wild west, brandished guns on the very steps of city halls.

Where were the good guys to speak out; where were the cavalry to ride to the rescue? Silenced, fired, never more to be heard.

Initially, we repeatedly asked our friends in the States: "Why is no-one doing anything?" The anguished but futile responses turned to powerless almost sullen silences and loss of hope.

And throughout all "our" own problems with Brexit then coronavirus there was still that sense of moral and educational superiority. We would never descend that low – oh, no.

Barring the odd rogue, there was a core belief in the decency and integrity of the UK’s lawmakers. A feeling that lies and evasions would quickly be routed by nobler colleagues.

Were we truly naďve – under a spell of our own innate goodness, survivor of the creatures we always strove to be, no matter the murky by-ways we frequently stumbled down?

Was the truth always there, hidden until the relentless exposure of new media, itself also often a distorted mirror, where truth had its own meaning depending on the intention?

Well, in the antics of Boris Johnson, Dominic Cummings and ideology at all costs, the ruthlessly ambitious, we can no longer deny it.

Watching Cummings, Johnson and the dark prince Michael Gove stare into the camera and, defiantly and earnestly, lie to the suckers stuck with this cabal of knaves has shrivelled something deep in my soul.

No matter some disturbing and increasing evidence to the contrary, over the past few years, I have clung to the notion of honour and decency as to what keeps us from the slide to hell.

There have been moments when I’ve wavered but never such profound loss of hope.

And never such sustained corrosive anger, the pain of which today mitigates that which I’m presently physically suffering.

Too dramatic, too florid? No doubt for some of you, but others, I know, feel it equally deeply.

In the lies and the inanities told this week to save an unelected adviser with a strange past, the British Government has united the country in disgust and loathing.

Barely disguising the trailing loose ends of their fiction, these arrogant lickspittles have exposed their utter contempt for not only the fools who believed the initial lies they were spun, but the rest dragged with them on the road to hell.

Now openly playing the electorate for fools and the uneducated of a once, occasionally, honourable history, they have trampled, and are trampling, the people under their boots on their private march to personal glory.

We’ve seen it all before and right does usually triumph in the end but at what cost? This time we need to wake before the price is too high.

In many ways it already is with the inept management of the pandemic.

Only we and politicians who rediscover their backbones can save us now.

In Continental Europe eyes no longer turn to the shame of America. No, they look upon the UK now with that same mingling of pity and incomprehension. With bewilderment and fear of political infection.

So, wagons are circled and paper after paper asks, ‘What the hell is happening?’

Pity is still just about there for the inhabitants but there is none for the politicians and Johnson is given the same lip curl of disdain as Trump as they grow daily chillingly similar.

God it is hard to hold on to hope that change will come soon but we must never give up striving. We cannot wallow in the seemingly hopeless. These people cannot win.

And now, Lord I’m tired. Tired of my one-fingered typing, fearful to turn to the news but praying there are resignations or, less likely, firings to come.

And yes, Scotland, no more playing nice and waiting for the permission of those who have shown over and over their indifference to your polite requests.

Take your many mandates and run with them. Forge your own destiny out of the shithole they’ve mired you in. Look yourself straight in the mirror while you still can. Get off your knees.

There’s a huge warm welcome awaiting you over here. There is respect, affection and admiration for your leaders – and hopes for you to break free of the liars and comic opera.

Europe knows your worth. You are not appreciated in a no-longer United Kingdom.

And unionists, don’t bother to spew your hatred below the line on the website. Your time is over and it is your own who have done for you.

Onward and upwards – you have nothing to lose but the liars and charlatans keeping you in thrall.

We’re all waiting.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 30th May 2020 at 12:47 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

an capall (30th May 2020), Desperate Dan (30th May 2020), Tout Seul (31st May 2020)

Thanks
    Tis to be hoped our good friend,reet, doesn`t read that

Thanks
    Bigger load of balls than most of your efforts to bend the truth.

Thanks
    "The essential English leadership secret does not depend on particular intelligence. Rather, it depends on a remarkably stupid thick-headedness. The English follow the principle that when one lies, it should be a big lie, and one should stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous."

It comes to something when you come to the conclusion, whatever you think of Goebbels he was spot on there.
    The older I get the better I was.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (30th May 2020)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Desert Orchid
    The whole Brexit is thing is one big swindle based on extremely tenuous premises. I don't recall reading anything anywhere about any of it being a success unless it actually being voted for qualifies as a 'success'.
    Reckon the 'success' was predicated on Boris achieving a better outcome than his predecessor.

I would call the outcome where by a foreign parliament and court no longer has primacy over those in the UK a big success.

Thanks
    I know; just think, if we were still in the EU we wouldn't be able to close our borders to prevent the spread of the virus and we'd have an appallingly high death rate.

Thanks
    We enter El Dorado on 1st January....should any of us survive til then .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    I know; just think, if we were still in the EU we wouldn't be able to close our borders to prevent the spread of the virus and we'd have an appallingly high death rate.
    I'm not sure I understand those remarks, moehat.

We didn't close our borders but what was to stop us closing them if we'd chosen to? I don't think the EU would have forced us to keep them open. In any event, planes were still flying into the UK from all over the world throughout the peak of the spread. Other EU countries closed their borders and as far as the appallingly high death rate is concerned we already have one, as well as one of the highest (if not the highest) deaths-per-head-of population rates in the world.

This government is responsible for tens of thousands of unnecessary fatalities.

At least they're solving the pension problem...
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 31st May 2020 at 8:34 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (31st May 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I'm not sure I understand those remarks, moehat.

We didn't close our borders but what was to stop us closing them if we'd chosen to? I don't think the EU would have forced us to keep them open. In any event, planes were still flying into the UK from all over the world throughout the peak of the spread. Other EU countries closed their borders and as far as the appallingly high death rate is concerned we already have one, as well as one of the highest (if not the highest) deaths-per-head-of population rates in the world.

This government is responsible for tens of thousands of unnecessary fatalities.

At least they're solving the pension problem...
    I was being sarcastic. Sorry....I still can't get my head round the fact that the whole point of Brexit was to control our borders and yet, when there's a global pandemic we're one of the few countries that doesn't. Having spent 4 years marching, letter writing etc etc in an attempt to prevent Brexit I almost wish I'd spent that time and money having nice holidays. One question I keep asking on various sites is that, if we had now left the single market would we be having major problems with the supply chain, especially the food one. And, if the pandemic continues into next year what sort of mess will we be in post Brexit [especially a no deal one]?