Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown Projects

Thanks

Lockdown Projects

Like many others we have undertaken several rounds of de-cluttering. (Oddly 75% seems to have been my stuff !). The garden is in better shape than it has been for years. All windows are sparkling clean.

So now the big project- Converting some 15 years of VHS video tapes to DVD via my MAC. Perhaps around a couple of hundred hours of wobbly camera work that will distill down to a third of that. All the traditional stuff, kids, holidays and family gatherings. I am anything but a computer wiz so there will be trials and tribulations but I am looking forward to sending out DVD's in due course.

Anyone else taking on a project?

Thanks
    I've got years and years of tv racing videos that I'd like to do something with; where would I start?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Our local recycling depot and charity shops are all closed so I'm not bothering too much about decluttering for now.

The weather hasn't been great up here either. Generally dry but cold and windy for long enough. I'm almost a week out of quarantine and have had another few aches and twinges in the lower abdomen so not attempting too much. I've managed a couple of two-mile walks, which I feel good about.

I also lost 13lbs during my illness and am determined not to put any of it back on. Another half a stone and I'll have managed my new year goal of 20lbs. I gave up sweets and crisps and snacks and alcohol etc during Lent and so far haven't felt like going back on to any of them. (I've had the odd half-glass of wine with a meal but not really enjoyed it, and haven't even felt like having a beer.) I reckon if I can manage a two-mile walk or two each day during the nicer weather I'll get there in a month or so.

I'm also wondering if avoiding crisps and snacks has had a positive effect on my blood pressure. I've been monitoring it for years as it is borderline actionable but this week it's been very normal (low 120s / high 70s, low 80s) and I'm hoping the weight plus avoiding the added salt is paying dividends.

I've to clear some rubbish from the garage as we're getting a new spare freezer soon for the garage as the old one packed in not long ago but that won't take too long.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 15th April 2020 at 5:04 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Our local recycling depot and charity shops are all closed so I'm not bothering too much about decluttering for now.

The weather hasn't been great up here either. Generally dry but cold and windy for long enough. I'm almost a week out of quarantine and have had another few aches and twinges in the lower abdomen so not attempting too much. I've managed a couple of two-mile walks, which I feel good about.

I also lost 13lbs during my illness and am determined not to put any of it back on. Another half a stone and I'll have managed my new year goal of 20lbs. I gave up sweets and crisps and snacks and alcohol etc during Lent and so far haven't felt like going back on to any of them. (I've had the odd half-glass of wine with a meal but not really enjoyed it, and haven't even felt like having a beer.) I reckon if I can manage a two-mile walk or two each day during the nicer weather I'll get there in a month or so.

I'm also wondering if avoiding crisps and snacks has had a positive effect on my blood pressure. I've been monitoring it for years as it is borderline actionable but this week it's been very normal (low 120s / high 70s, low 80s) and I'm hoping the weight plus avoiding the added salt is paying dividends.

I've to clear some rubbish from the garage as we're getting a new spare freezer soon for the garage as the old one packed in not long ago but that won't take too long.
    Must be an age thing re the weather - I've been out in short sleeve order since the weekend (Sunday/Monday excepted). Even managed to get burnt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Must be an age thing re the weather - .
    Could be. The interior of the house always being too warm is probably another factor. Mrs O insists on tropical temperatures indoors as she 'feels the cold'.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Could be. The interior of the house always being too warm is probably another factor. Mrs O insists on tropical temperatures indoors as she 'feels the cold'.
    My mother feels the cold quite a bit too. I keep our house around 16 degrees for rooms that aren't in regular use - i.e. anything but the living room. Can't stand the place being too warm.

Thanks
    The main thing I've been doing and will be going forward is working on adding to and improving stuff within my own horse racing db & sys tester etc etc. But I've got a shed load on gardening I need to do so this afternoon I was out checking in the shed I had petrol for the mower and set batteries for the cordless stuff on charge. For some reason gardening feel lot less like drawing teeth than diy in the house.

Thanks
    My mother feels the cold quite a bit too. I keep our house around 16 degrees for rooms that aren't in regular use - i.e. anything but the living room. Can't stand the place being too warm.

Even I reckon 16C is positively freezing!

I'd settle for 22C throughout the house (but we use nearly all of the rooms) but Mrs O wants it warmer.

Thanks
    Jesus - I'd be sitting around in my pants at 22 degrees!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I retired in Feb from the day job to launch An Capall 2.0, business plan. The virus has caused a planning wrinkle to say the least. My projects are the garden and I have written and (had) illustrated a children's book (privately published) based on the characters of my Grandchildren. Like MO I decided to lose some weight in the New Year and am currently lighter than I have been for 30 years or so.

Regarding temperature. For many years I always kept my office at 16. Two reasons, I like the cold and it encouraged the heat seeking underlings to get to the point and feck off with greater expediency.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jesus - I'd be sitting around in my pants at 22 degrees!
    Sorts got you down for that lark regardless of temperature, simmo.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pawras View Post
    The main thing I've been doing and will be going forward is working on adding to and improving stuff within my own horse racing db & sys tester etc etc. But I've got a shed load on gardening I need to do so this afternoon I was out checking in the shed I had petrol for the mower and set batteries for the cordless stuff on charge. For some reason gardening feel lot less like drawing teeth than diy in the house.
    I share your stance on gardening/DIY. Thinking about it perhaps the reason is that DIY often involves lots of preparation even to do some simple tasks and certainly in my case requiring skills/knowledge that don’t come naturally to me. On the other hand it is easy to pick up a piece of garden equipment and potter about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Well my multiple jobs all on hold at the moment (horse care due to boss’ daughter being home), journalism (Point to Pointing all cancelled) and housesitting (for obvious reasons) I am slowly going through a list of things.

My own horse is now turned out for summer although I haven’t ridden him since December as he injured his foot so no pleasant hacks out in the glorious weather sadly. Hopefully an extended rest might sort him out (we think it’s ligament damage within his hoof).

So far the veg garden is looking amazing. All beds dug over and ready for planting as soon as seedlings ready to go out (sourcing seeds hasn’t been easy but fortunately friends had excess so picked up from end of their drive).

I have completed a free online screenwriting course by UEA. Very interesting and hopefully it may give me the courage to put my ideas down on paper.

Other projects include going through my art cupboard and throwing out some dire early work. Finally going through the spice drawer to chuck out spices dating back to pre war!!! And the garden pond needs dredging.

I tend to do one major thing per day. And then there seems to be an awful lot of trawling through the Internet! And bored phone calls with my bestie.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Finally going through the spice drawer to chuck out spices dating back to pre war!!! .
    Sure, they'll be fine so....

Grassy - you may be right!

Thanks
    I sorted out my spice collection a while back; being me didn't throw the old stuff out straight away. It's now sitting on the kitchen table having had a reprieve in case things get so bad I may have to use stuff from 2006. I've realised that ancient pasta is still ok to eat years after it's use by date.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I’m about to embark on resuming my attempt to make fresh pasta. Last time was not a great success. The homemade pesto is made so I’ve got to have a go (no dried whatsoever in my little town).

Spices - well there are some strange ones there. My Dad liked to make curries so he ground up mixtures. These really do need to go. Most spices lose their flavour after a while anyway.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Well just found out that we are expecting baby number 4......due date Christmas Day!
    Wont be doing anymore projects

Thanks
    Congratulations

I wonder if this lockdown will result in an aberrant spike in births early next year

In a normal year September and October are the peak months, which coincides with conception in mid-winter when couples tend to naturally 'lockdown' at home. Infact, late September is the peak of the peak, nine months on from the Christmas/New Year holidays

A bumper crop next year to make up for the excessive loss this year...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Garden has been getting lots of attention lately.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (6th May 2020), Desperate Dan (6th May 2020), Drone (6th May 2020), jinnyj (6th May 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    Congratulations

I wonder if this lockdown will result in an aberrant spike in births early next year

In a normal year September and October are the peak months, which coincides with conception in mid-winter when couples tend to naturally 'lockdown' at home. Infact, late September is the peak of the peak, nine months on from the Christmas/New Year holidays

A bumper crop next year to make up for the excessive loss this year...
    Divorces will hit an all time high.