Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Flat Season 2020

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    Wins
    Gold Trip goes for French Derby glory tomorrow [2.10]

Big ask and have only played small each way in the without Fav market at 25-1 [Bet 365]
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    I have scanned the races and Sunday looks a great card to dissect. Will the improving filly from last season (Hereby) run in the Lancashire Oaks?
    Love the horses profile. Stepped up from the handicaps and with the benefit of another season can hopefully upset the favourite to win today.

I have had to back the battle hardened Withhold today at 5/1. If he comes back to his best form he can go close.
    Last edited by Marb; 5th July 2020 at 2:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    Cracking performance again by Ghaiyyath. Enable and Japan ran well over trip just too short now. But the winner has really matured into a stunner.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    I couldn't understand why he wasn't favourite. Appleby said a while back he only lost three kilos at Newmarket and came out of the race very well. I love enable but could never have fancied her today but she still ran very well in what was a genuinely hot race.

Very much looking forward to the sectional analyses.

The next time they meet - if indeed they do - will be electric.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Isn't Enable only as good as her form entitles her to be, and no better, despite what all media seems to suggest for the last three years.

Thanks
    Correct.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    On my figures she's a brilliant horse but so is Ghaiyyath. She was always going to have her work cut out today against a fully fit, in-form Ghaiyyath and she's done well to beat Japan despite being short of peak fitness. She'll leave this form behind in due course.

Thanks
    She was too far off the winner, not quite fit or not. Dettori far too confident he would pull the winner in, or told don't worry about it if you don't win, didn't give her a hard time from quite a way out. She's a brilliant horse, the fact she was beaten today takes nothing away from her.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    You know what I think does take away from her greatness: how often she doesn't come out as the best horse at the weights. That Enable was receiving three pounds from the winner today is never mentioned - just like crystal ocean last year. Whether the weight concession is justified is a different argument.

Thanks
    Her greatness is not performance but her CV and consistency.
    You know she will rock up and run her race.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A cracking day's racing.
    That Eclipse was as good a race as expected; Mishriff won a decent race , and from family of Invincible Spirit and Kodiac will have plenty of suitors for stud; Donnacha training the French Oaks winner aged 21, surely a record .
    Shame it all behind closed doors !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    You know what I think does take away from her greatness: how often she doesn't come out as the best horse at the weights. That Enable was receiving three pounds from the winner today is never mentioned - just like crystal ocean last year. Whether the weight concession is justified is a different argument.
    Is wfa a different argument too, then?

Winning an open G1 by more than a length and a half accounts for the gender allowance.

She won the 2017 King George by 4.5L, following it up in the Yorkshire Oaks by beating two rated 118 and 116 into third and fourth by 5.25L and 6L, then won the Arc by 2.5L.

In the 2019 King George she overcame a very poor trip through the race and was value for far more than the winning margin. In the Arc she never got the race run to suit and her run can be upgraded too.

I don't necessarily disagree in principle with your premise but I think we need to look beyond the headline stats.

Thanks
    Cherry picking and excuses to suit a narrative. Yorkshire oaks third and fourth selected, poor trip, value for far more than the all out head she won etc.

She is a fine animal, ranking up there with crystal ocean, japan and sea of class.

Thanks
    Cherry picking and excuses to suit a narrative. Yorkshire oaks third and fourth selected, poor trip, value for far more than the all out head she won etc.

She is a fine animal, ranking up there with crystal ocean, japan and sea of class.
    Agree entirely with DO - she beat Crystal Ocean cosily and ,had she not chased Ghaiyyath and Magical both of whom ended up beaten out of sight , she would have won the Arc.

I tend to agree with G-G’s second suggestion - she was dropped out despite breaking best of all - last year when fitter she sat second - she had to make six or seven lengths up on him and made five before being given a very easy time in the final furlong.

Thanks

You've been on here 11 years, HW. You should know if I cherry pick I tend to acknowledge it as the basis of humour. The third and fourth were selected because they (along with the fifth, if memory serves) appeared to run to their relative marks. Crystal Ocean is/was a 127/128 animal and Japan could reach that level later this season. Enable was comfortably better than them, admittedly in receipt of the allowance.

You're also probably long enough on here to know that I'm a perennial decrier of Dawn Run whenever she gets a mention. I don't go overboard about a horse if I don't have figures to justify it. I believe Enable has figures to justify her status although I myself get annoyed when the TV people go OTT with the gush-pish. On the plus side, when they do you can get 5/2 about certainties like Ghaiyyath

Thanks
    And apparently Dettori went too soon in last year's arc and the arc is the aim and midsummer isn't the time to judge her coughwaldgeistcough. An imagine superiority. She is good - as talented as Japan and Crystal Ocean. Everything else is hype for the good of the sport. If she was the superstar that media would have you believe she would be beating Ghayyaith (better off a long break, sandown not suiting his style before the race) and Japan in receipt of weight.

Thanks
    How was enable comfortably better than Japan who "could reach 127/128 later in this season" when she finished upsides him yesterday and was 2l ahead of him in last year's arc.

Complete nonsense. I'm saying she is as talented as Japan. You wouldn't think that's all she is from the hype.

Thanks
    The notion Enable won the King George last year cosily is amusing. The great thing about the finish was that she put it all on the line and Frankie said as much.
    Given the trip she had you could be generous and say that was the weight she was getting off the 2nd.
    Last edited by Frankel; 6th July 2020 at 6:50 AM.

Thanks
    Apologies, HW. I over-read your criticism of her. I thought you were dissing her as nothing out of the ordinary in a more negative sense but I see that it is more literal than that.

My own ratings tend at the top level to be about 5lbs below Timeform's, for example, and I tend to be disappointed when any G1 winner doesn't hit 126 on my figures (123 for fillies). Over the years, not anywhere near as many fillies run better than 123 as colts do 126 so when Enable comes along and gets into the high 120s on my figures I'm inclined to give her credit for being good.

I agree about the TV people's hype. I hate it but I hate all the gushing, cloying, vomit-inducing sycophancy they shower on horses and people. I have no idea why the producers think that makes for good TV.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 6th July 2020 at 9:04 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

HawkWing (6th July 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree with the lat paragraph, DO.

Here she is The Queen - "my arse".

Nothing wrong with appreciating and praising a good/ very good/ excellent horse but less hyperbole , please.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......