Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horses That Missed The Festival

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I've just updated the original post with all posted so far. There's some in there that you can smell 'plot' with when they come back.
    The handicapping system will help them too. Horses that have had an extended absence tend to be allowed 7-10lbs for it.

(If I were a trainer with a long-term plan for a horse that's the route I would take rather than keep running it down the park. I think horses that get into the habit of running publicly well below their best find it hard to get out of the habit, whereas a horse that's been kept active and interested in life away from the track might be literally champing at the bit for some action. Which would appeal to your sex-drive more, constantly banging away at an old bike or waiting for Victoria Coren to give you the come-on?)
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I thought I'd add my thoughts on the ones that I'll be watching and waiting for and why.

Topofthegame - Potential to be better than Santini who was beaten a neck in this seasons Gold Cup. Will he show the same progression after his injury. Also how will his RSA compare to Champ and Minella Indo's.

Saldier - Has the potential to be top class but has missed the last two Festivals with only one run each season. Hard to keep fit but still only 6. New kids on the block may be better anyway.
    Malone Road - His potential is huge given they rated him higher than Envoi Allen, and he's currently 6 times the price for the Supreme than he was 12 months ago. Hasn't seen a racecourse in 16 months now though, and rumours circulating suggesting his problems may persist.
    Klassical Dream - Probably will start out over 2 miles in novice chases but more likely to step up in trip at some point in the season. Forgotten and interesting.
    Pic D’Orhy - Always thought of as a future chaser, and has been looked after. I expect to see him become a live Arkle contender, although he'll have Shishkin to contend with.
    Felix Desjy - Was close to a come back I understand, so now really interesting for next season. Given the likely novice chase opposition I wonder if he'll have two or three quiet races in handicap hurdles, or whether they'll try and get him a mark over fences. Whichever route, the less he does the more interesting he becomes.
    Gypsy Island (Mares Nov) - Everyone will latch on to her if she comes back fit and well. An update from Bayofreedom wouldn't go amiss to her well being! Interesting that her only defeat was in a maiden hurdle to Put The Kettle On. Maybe people will finally wake up to that one when she wins the Champion Chase.
    Silver Sheen - Missed the Festival with a minor setback and remains unexposed and ridiculously well handicapped.
    Commander Of Fleet - Novice chasing, or plotted for a lenient mark over hurdles. Interesting either way.

Thanks
    Defi Bleu another really interesting one. Monster of an animal and clichés aside, will do more over a fence. Could see him plotted for the Kim Muir for the same connections as this years winner.
    Last edited by Bonjers; 27th March 2020 at 3:36 PM.

Thanks
    One more to add to the list of those missing the Festival is King Roland, who skipped the Festival because Harry Fry wanted to avoid a hard race against Envoi Allen. Fry is on record as saying he expects him to come in to his own over fences and has deliberately kept him lightly raced so as not to over face him in his novice hurdle season. He's also said he's the best in the yard and he rates him in the Neon Wolf bracket, who had been the apple of his eye.

He ran in the novice hurdle on trials day at Cheltenham, which has been an excellent future guide for horses in the best staying chases, particularly the RSA and Gold Cup. The roll of honour for UK horses from that race is remarkable. He was left 20 lengths behind the leader that day and only beaten a couple of lengths when his run just petered out, so he was definitely the one to take from the race. It also puts the all important course form stamp in his book. I presume he'll be back there for a novice chase at some point during the season anyway so it's fully endorsed. He promises to be a better horse over further, looking as though a step up in trip to 3 miles will suit on both of his last two runs. He also jumped his fences well in his point over 3 miles and saw it our with ease, so there shouldn't be jumping or longer trip concerns.

By skipping the Festival, and Aintree and Punchestown not happening, he's become a bit of a forgotten horse. And that's the perfect scenario for value antepost punting given the market is focused on Cheltenham Festival form. The current antepost RSA market has the Albert Bartlett Horses heading the market but I have a nagging doubt whether this seasons Albert Bartlett will prove to be good as last seasons. The first 4 finished in a heap which isn't usually the sign of a classic renewal. The rest of the market is full of horses that won't run (including Envoi Allen) so, all factors considered, 50/1 King Roland for the RSA is a gift. It can also be made relatively risk free if laying back for stake+ is your thing (mine is), as he'll trade at less than half that price immediately before his seasonal debut, and a quarter of the price after his debut assuming he doesn't fluff his lines. Ideally though I'll be looking to lock in a profit immediately before his first run, and may go back in and take some more later.

Below are all the horses I've backed so far from the horses that missed this seasons Festival. Most are already trading shorter, and the others I expect to trade shorter, so I'll be playing the same tactics with each:

Andy Dufresne 33/1ew Arkle
    Angels Breath 25/1ew Ryanair
    Topofthegame 20/1ew Gold Cup
    King Roland 50/1ew RSA
    Last edited by Maruco; 21st April 2020 at 7:06 PM.

Thanks
    Roger. For some reason I can't edit my opening post. When you get a moment could you add King Roland too it please.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    Roger. For some reason I can't edit my opening post. When you get a moment could you add King Roland too it please.
    Done

Thanks
    Thanks a Roger.

Thanks
    On the subject of horses that missed the Festival that are of interest, can anyone remember what injuries Commander Of Fleet and Felix Desjy had, and whether they're both expected to be back fighting fit next season?

If not does anyone know how to get some info out of Cullentra?

Thanks
    I have made contact, waiting on a response.

Thanks
    Felix Desjy was in training in the second half of the season - he was certainly mentioned in the build up to the festival. May have been one who'd have appeared at one of Fairyhouse/Aintree/Punchestown.

Thanks
    Thanks both.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Angel's Breath
    Sam Spinner
    Sizing John
    Le Richebourg
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/late...ecovery/433115
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Laurina, Saglawy and Next Destination now with Nicholls from Willie.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjers View Post
    Laurina, Saglawy and Next Destination now with Nicholls from Willie.
    Next Destination was at the yard where my idiot is temporarily last October/November, before heading back to Ireland where the prognosis was needed at least a year/18 months off? Really sweet horse, no idea what carrots or polos where before he got there....
    Vote Alfie!!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

Danny (16th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    ND is/was a lovely horse

Hope he sees the track again and seeing as he is on the move, I guess he may
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Seems like Jared has fallen out with Willie now and sent them all over to Paul. Strange one, he's never happy!

Thanks
    Being said that he wants the horses trained (and presumably running) in the UK.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    I wonder how much the mares hurdle at the festival played a part in this, particularly Willie saying how power should have went faster on stormy Ireland to suit Benie, even apart from letting Honeysuckle up the inner.

I certainly wouldn't be too pleased to have such a good mate talked about as being a pacemaker for something else in the yard!!

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelad For This Useful Post:

redundant pal (24th July 2020)

Thanks
    Wylie bowing out, and now Malcolm Denmark's Next Destination and the Sullivan horses. Why now?

The initial reason for their presence in Ireland was the good prize money and Willy Mullins' excellence. Both factors apply as strongly as ever.

Covid and the accompanying quarantine restrictions might have been a consideration, that and the continuing complications liable to arise from the hard version of Brexit that looks increasingly likely. Or did Paul Nicholls make the kind of offer that the rest of us would prefer not to visualise?

Thanks
    Wasn't it Darkie Prendergast who said about owners to only leave them with their eyes to cry with.

WPM does what he wants, end of.