Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Thanks
    I wish I had seen that before going to the Festival.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Main thing missing was bread,must be completely sold out.
    I'm fortunate enough to have an independent baker nearby and wandered up there today for my usual Friday order of two small loaves and a litre of milk. Got them but was told that as all and sundry are turning up from elsewhere they're going to prioritise local regulars who must nevertheless place an order the day before

Had a wander into town yesterday for a few 'essentials' and although the streets and shops are eerily quiet I was surprised by how many (relatively speaking) folk, of all ages, there were in cafes and pubs. It will surely be only a matter of days, perhaps hours, before mandatory closure is announced which is probably what should have been done in the first place

Those disregarding pleas to 'socially distance' and to avoid panic-buying would do well to consider that continuation of their selfish actions will almost inevitably result in some degree of Martial Law, as is approximately the case in France, Spain and Italy

Thanks
    I love salad in Deli wraps [even though I don't like salad in general]. But they have a very high fat content. Then again, I'm not using butter with them. Took the dog for a walk yesterday and did all the social distancing stuff and, blow me, someone walked up to her and stroked her. Mike said he 'couldn't avoid it' even though the man was several feet away and the dog was on a lead [men; paah!]. Washed all of her head before I allowed her back in the house. Mind you, DD who is talking to a lot of her medical friends said that it's spread person to person more than hand to surface, and that we mustn't speak to anyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Classic disaster capitalism shown over a two week period,who knew? everyone bar the tories apparently delay,delay,delay then the u turns this is playing out like an apocalypse
    i still can't believe what i'm watching relying on Boris johnson,Matt Hancock and some son in law of a billionaire,meanwhile Tim Marin moaning about keeping his pubs open..His sorts are utter vermin,i see it's not just the old either because 50% of ICU are between 20-54 in france and 30% will have permanent lung damage...The damage has been done in the delays,this will be everywhere now,wouldn't be surprised to see this appearing in china again either..
    Last edited by gigilo; 20th March 2020 at 6:47 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gigilo For This Useful Post:

moehat (20th March 2020)

Thanks
    I went into large supermarket on the way home - their petrol is very cheap for now - everything now being affected, no toothpaste. Non. Frozen veg none. Crisp aisle , decimated. (Crisps are my thing.....) . Cereals none. Meat in chilled section - none, absolutely none. Eggs none. etc etc...loads of empty shelves had notes saying only 3 per customer. At the checkout, lady says you can't have all these carrots ( 5 x 1kg bags)., you're only supposed to have 3. I said there was no sign above the carrots limiting to 3 and they are for my horse. Okay this time you can have them she says . Well no anytime right now because they are not being rationed yet....but I can hardly buy anything else if I wanted to so....... but very noticeable prices gone up on a lot of stock items, and I bet they don't put them down once this is all over. Still every little helps...obviously a large supermarket chain right now anyway.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Lol there's absolutely zilch in the supermarkets,again we have the next three weeks time slots filled for deliveries fcuk all in the house,but we do have a tonne of bog roll,mrs got it when she left her job working for school suppliers,so the cheap rough on arse stuff..Although probably edible but nothing to put on it..
    Last edited by gigilo; 20th March 2020 at 9:11 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    At the checkout, lady says you can't have all these carrots ( 5 x 1kg bags)., you're only supposed to have 3. I said there was no sign above the carrots limiting to 3 and they are for my horse. Okay this time you can have them she says
    Not questioning your attitude to the lady G-G, but it strikes me as unfair that checkout staff on or near the minimum wage are being asked to police this rationing, which can only add to the stress they're under. Human nature being what it is I feel sure some/many will have suffered abuse from those hoping to buy armfuls of an item. IMO supermarkets really need to employ extra security to aid checkout staff
    Last edited by Drone; 20th March 2020 at 9:54 PM.

Thanks
    Look at countries in "lockdown". They have regulated entry and exit procedures to supermarkets and shelves are rammed full.

Thanks
    Anyone got a spare can of beans and a cup of rice..got loads of bog roll in exchange..

Banned
    Thanks
    I was in the supermarket quite early today but even then then most of the shelves were empty - nobody gives a toss about us shoplifters

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts
    I visited a small coastal town today to get a stretch of the legs and a bit of sea air. The place looked pretty normal, almost busy, but some of the coffee shops were only doing stuff 'to go'.

The big supermarket looked pretty well stocked based on an admittedly cursory glance and I didn't see any evidence of stockpiling at the checkouts.

It was all very normal.

I would like to think if we up here in Scotland take things as seriously as the likes of London, we might get off lightly. In terms of square mileage, Scotland isn't that much smaller than England but has only a tenth of the population. When I was a kid, Glasgow had a population of over 1m; now it's down to about 600,000. We don't really live on top of each other as people do in London.We are much more demographically distanced. That might help us.

The enemy is complacency and the pathetic 'wha's like us?' so prevalent among the average compatriot. Some people will presume they're just not going to get it and if they do so what. It's a dangerous attitude.

I'm taking no chances. I've been social-distancing pretty much all my life so should find it pretty easy to continue to do so. .
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Up here the supermarkets haven't been too bad, late last week it was mental and you couldn't buy anything, but got bread, milk etc on Tuesday no problem. Today was in Morrisons, plenty of bread, milk, eggs, water, nappies, wipes, joints of meat, freezers not full, but not empty either.
    Aldi, same as Morrisons, but also had flour, some packs of paracetomol (not loads left though), loads of toilet rolls, plenty of sliced meat, microwave meals, fruit, veg etc.
    Local grocers had plenty of stuff on the shelves.

Only things I couldn't have bought between the 2 shops today was hand wash/gel.
    Local shops like Premier, Nisa, corner shops etc all had stock of toilet rolls etc too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
    Up here the supermarkets haven't been too bad, late last week it was mental and you couldn't buy anything, but got bread, milk etc on Tuesday no problem. Today was in Morrisons, plenty of bread, milk, eggs, water, nappies, wipes, joints of meat, freezers not full, but not empty either.
    Aldi, same as Morrisons, but also had flour, some packs of paracetomol (not loads left though), loads of toilet rolls, plenty of sliced meat, microwave meals, fruit, veg etc.
    Local grocers had plenty of stuff on the shelves.

Only things I couldn't have bought between the 2 shops today was hand wash/gel.
    Local shops like Premier, Nisa, corner shops etc all had stock of toilet rolls etc too.
    Sunderland the only place with food on the shelves,why such a descrepancy i don't get it got 3 delivery dates for ours and i reckon we will get next to nothing can't even get any bread..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    Not questioning your attitude to the lady G-G, but it strikes me as unfair that checkout staff on or near the minimum wage are being asked to police this rationing, which can only add to the stress they're under. Human nature being what it is I feel sure some/many will have suffered abuse from those hoping to buy armfuls of an item. IMO supermarkets really need to employ extra security to aid checkout staff
    I totally agree there needs to be some serious 'policing' of it, but also of the supermarkets increasing their prices for no reason. A lady at work said her niece was physically attacked in a national supermarket where they have facial recognition at the entrance, so having thrown out the said git ,they had the means to stop them getting back in, but I doubt most have that sort of facility. It's shameful quite frankly. Not a lot of community spirit going on with either side. I know he's not going to suffer without carrots, one of the very few fresh veg they actually had. I would have a huge guilt trip though. No sweetcorn or apple sauce for him either.
    Last edited by G-G; 21st March 2020 at 6:58 PM.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Supermarkets could do a lot worse than stripping out some of the shelves they've got dedicated to non-food items like electrical goods for instance and putting food on them

They could also redesign to put food nearer the front too rather than adhering to the layouts they have which are designed to trail past a whole load of 'impulse' buy items to get to the food area
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Senior French journo briefed that Macron phoned PM on Friday and said that if UK did not impose serious shutdown measures, French would have no choice but to close border to travellers from UK, & were ready to do so Friday. Says Elysee refers to UK policy as “benign neglect''.
    Boris Johnson initiated a partial shutdown only after Macron threatened to close the border, warning that the rest of Europe would follow suit. “We clearly had to threaten him so that he would finally move.

This man has cost lives could be numerous,first delays of three weeks then this above after wanting to carry on with herd ammunity,i have been following this closely and to me it looks like it has been massively underestimated we could be looking at thousands of deaths and this person who hasn't got a clue what's going on he's a complete menace..He needs to be removed anyone just anyone but him,in several weeks we are going to see the damage he has caused..

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gigilo For This Useful Post:

moehat (22nd March 2020)

Thanks
    https://twitter.com/ErikSolheim/stat...59513212211200

South korea light years infront of our imbeciles..

8,700 cases 102 deaths UK 5018 cases 244 deaths..we havn't even started yet..
    Last edited by gigilo; 22nd March 2020 at 2:15 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    https://twitter.com/ErikSolheim/stat...59513212211200

South korea light years infront of our imbeciles..

8,700 cases 102 deaths UK 5018 cases 244 deaths..we havn't even started yet..
    A beautiful diary of Trumps bullshit throughout incredible how someone can talk so much sh1t and bullsh1t unreal.

https://twitter.com/redalphababe/sta...45226834313216

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    This man has cost lives could be numerous,first delays of three weeks then this above after wanting to carry on with herd ammunity,i have been following this closely and to me it looks like it has been massively underestimated we could be looking at thousands of deaths and this person who hasn't got a clue what's going on he's a complete menace.

I heard a pertinent comment on the radio this morning (attributed to an unnamed civil servant) that correctly pointed out that if you want evidence of how badly the government under-estimated this, just remember that only six days ago Rishi Sunak unveiled budget that was heralded as a coronavirus busting investment that amounted to some £30Bn. Within a week he's been forced into increasing this to £300Bn and hasn't stopped yet.

Also worth noting is that in the name of transparency Downing Street provided the media with a document drop 48 hours that the notes to editors subtly suggested that they need to remember they were following an emergency plan laid down in 2011 by David Cameron (is there anything this man touched that didn't turn to ****?) but the editors clearly felt this was the first sign of Johnson preparing the ground to blame someone else (a Trump theme of course)

Something we perhaps need to remember about Johnson (and Cameron for that matter) is that they both come from a tradition of pioneering amateurism. That is to say they're traditional public school and Oxford boys who think they can achieve heroic endeavours with the right spirit. At its best this amateurism can be endearingly eccentric, at its worst, its foolhardy stupidity. It's the sort of thing that leads people to climb Everest in tweed jackets and hobnail boots, or reach south pole using horses. Every now then of course, they might succeed and achieve something remarkable, but more often than not this pioneering spirit of exploration ends in disaster.

We'd need to know a lot more about the options papers that Johnson was given, but if he were given four choices, one of which was presented as being controversial, and largely untried anywhere other than Britain, he'd be disproportionately inclined to select it precisely because of this reason.

It was rather telling that the government only reversed their decision with the intervention of the Ferguson team from Imperial College London. It does beg the question of just what Messers Vallance and Witty have been doing. Even I can crudely work this out (and did so a month ago by simply looking at data)

As of this morning, our official figure is 74 infections per million people. This equates to 0.0074% of the population

We've currently got a deaths to infection rate of 4.6% which is one of the highest in Europe (that figure is worth a separate examination too)

To reach 60% we have to witness an increase to 600,000 infections per million. Just dwell on that. We're currently at 74, but need to get to 600,000

That means it's got to get 8000 times worse/ bigger
    than it currently is
    (bigger is probably a better description than worse). This was the policy that Johnson was following

Even if we were able to hold 4.6% mortality rates (and we wouldn't be able to on that level of infection), we'd be looking at about 3m deaths
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    https://twitter.com/simpson_anton/st...858947/photo/1

See hundred if not thousands of morons in crowds outside supermarkets,hello wakey wakey.
    Last edited by gigilo; 22nd March 2020 at 6:02 PM.