Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AliGupter View Post
    Not particularly, potentially going slightly too early with the "full lockdown", but they will have the figures that others don't see to justify doing it so soon after they had started social distancing measures.

I think they could have (and potentially still should) make a bigger deal about the importance of washing hands and not touching surfaces unnecessarily. It makes a much bigger difference than people can imagine, though it's tough to tell people that the general population are filthy.

In general though I think the response has been fine and better than most countries (encouraging an improvement in basic hygiene earlier, introducing social distancing earlier, hugely increasing hospital capacity earlier), although it's still really impossible to tell at this stage so we just wait and see, and hope. I also think the measures they have taken to help the economy and most people have been tremendous, so far.

Each week tells us more than the last.
    And the herd immunity strategy?

Thanks
    Swedish PM warns of ‘thousands of coronavirus deaths’ but STILL refuses to lock down despite pleas by 2,300 doctors

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...s-coronavirus/
    Last edited by pawras; 6th April 2020 at 2:09 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    And the herd immunity strategy?
    It's still the quickest way out of this in the medium to longer term and is a tried and tested strategy that we use consistently for other viruses. The difficulty is managing the pace of spread, which we are doing now to good effect so far.

I should add that the big risk is that we have no idea of the real death rate of this virus, so it's to be treated with caution until we know more.
    Last edited by AliGupter; 6th April 2020 at 2:33 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    Whats crap Cuomos been different class and his ratings have proven it his ratings are miles infront of trumps in new york,..
    Cuomo can certainly talk the talk but I'd suggest, given the virulence in New York, when it comes to walking the walk he's as much lost in the wilderness as everyone else

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    Cuomo can certainly talk the talk but I'd suggest, given the virulence in New York, when it comes to walking the walk he's as much lost in the wilderness as everyone else
    Who would you trust toget things dpne Trump,Johnson or Cuomo there's no contest he presents the facts clearly and the others bluff and lie,plus he has said if it affects his politucal career so be it unlike the other lowlifes..at least he's trying his best..

Lol i also see his brothers been in isolation for a week fevers everyday 103 temp,meanwhile johnson gets admitted working from hospital with temp and a cough but''comfortable'' but working amazing i thought you were supposed to self isolate with these symptoms not hog another bed..He just texted me said the champagnes great..
    Last edited by gigilo; 6th April 2020 at 3:13 PM.

Thanks
    Choose the expert advise that leads to fewest deaths. If you want to ignore that advice you'd better be sure that you can explain why if the chosen course of action fails. It was convenient that the chosen route by the UK was the one where the least disruption to everyday life. Most reasonable people would see this as a misreading of the impending crisis. At least us on this forum got to enjoy cheltenham.
    Thst involves opening the economy up at some point before deaths tolls mount from suicide, addiction and social unrest. There is serious mental health problems with locking down countries indefinitely.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

AliGupter (6th April 2020)

Thanks
    Who would you trust toget things dpne Trump,Johnson or Cuomo there's no contest he presents the facts clearly and the others bluff and lie,plus he has said if it affects his politucal career so be it unlike the other lowlifes..at least he's trying his best..

Lol i also see his brothers been in isolation for a week fevers everyday 103 temp,meanwhile johnson gets admitted working from hospital with temp and a cough but''comfortable'' but working amazing i thought you were supposed to self isolate with these symptoms not hog another bed..He just texted me said the champagnes great..
    I'd actually trust trump most to get something done. I might not like his policies but there is no doubt he can galvanise people into doing stuff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    I'd actually trust trump most to get something done. I might not like his policies but there is no doubt he can galvanise people into doing stuff.
    That makes no sense,lockdown on six states yesterday all republican way behind everyone else,he hasn't got a clue whats going on if he had it his way and could get away with it he'd have everyone working and 100s of thousands of deaths..that would be his getting things done.
    Last edited by gigilo; 6th April 2020 at 4:23 PM.

Thanks
    That makes no sense,lockdown on six states yesterday all republican way behind everyone else,he hasn't got a clue whats going on if he had it his way and could get away with it he'd have everyone working and 100s of thousands of deaths..that would be his getting things done.
    You didn't specify what he needed to get done......

Thanks
    Any argument that involves knowing what someone "really wants" or is thinking is not an argument.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Thst involves opening the economy up at some point before deaths tolls mount from suicide, addiction and social unrest. There is serious mental health problems with locking down countries indefinitely.
    Yeah. Even I mentioned that the rates of death in Ireland, it will take more a bit more persuasion next time round (this Wednesday) to convince people that the effort is worthwhile. I think people will keep with it for another month, but beyond that. All the lads so keen to keep business as usual in the teeth of the crisis are now so socially concerned about the damage to the mental health of people. Some grifters. Pull any stroke. Tens of thousands of deaths is inconsequential but a dozen suicides, now we really need to get the tissues out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkWing For This Useful Post:

gigilo (6th April 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AliGupter View Post
    Not particularly, potentially going slightly too early with the "full lockdown", but they will have the figures that others don't see to justify doing it so soon after they had started social distancing measures.

I think they could have (and potentially still should) make a bigger deal about the importance of washing hands and not touching surfaces unnecessarily. It makes a much bigger difference than people can imagine, though it's tough to tell people that the general population are filthy.

In general though I think the response has been fine and better than most countries (encouraging an improvement in basic hygiene earlier, introducing social distancing earlier, hugely increasing hospital capacity earlier), although it's still really impossible to tell at this stage so we just wait and see, and hope. I also think the measures they have taken to help the economy and most people have been tremendous, so far.

Each week tells us more than the last.
    I don't think the UK response has been as good as that of New Zealand, Iceland, or Taiwan, the latter two having been proactive since January. I understand the deputy prime minister of Taiwan is an expert in epidemiology. If only Raab was an expert in epidemiology [or an expert in anything for that matter...]. This country was too busy raising money to bong for Brexit in January to pay attention to a possible world pandemic.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

gigilo (6th April 2020)

Thanks
    Yeah. Even I mentioned that the rates of death in Ireland, it will take more a bit more persuasion next time round (this Wednesday) to convince people that the effort is worthwhile. I think people will keep with it for another month, but beyond that. All the lads so keen to keep business as usual in the teeth of the crisis are now so socially concerned about the damage to the mental health of people. Some grifters. Pull any stroke. Tens of thousands of deaths is inconsequential but a dozen suicides, now we really need to get the tissues out.
    Indeed...get the plebs back working for their minimum wage jobs to keep them in business,they are so transparent makes me want to vomit.
    Last edited by gigilo; 6th April 2020 at 6:24 PM.

Thanks
    You are all over the place here. It's a pretty simple truth that locking down the country indefinitely will have serious consequences.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    You are all over the place here. It's a pretty simple truth that locking down the country indefinitely will have serious consequences.
    You havent got a leg to stand on in this one. And you know it. Coming out with SJW type bleatings just because it suited your argument. Of all people.
    439 people in the UK died from coronavirus today. Maybe we can revisit this when the suicides due to lockdown are over 5% of the actual coronavirus death rate.
    Last edited by HawkWing; 6th April 2020 at 8:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Boris now in intensive care.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    The way politicians are talking about Boris is worrying. Sense that political enemies needing to be generous given the gravity of the circumstances.

Thanks
    At least he was in the right place to go into Intensive care in the first place. Seriously wishing him well and he pulls through okay.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    You havent got a leg to stand on in this one. And you know it. Coming out with SJW type bleatings just because it suited your argument. Of all people.
    439 people in the UK died from coronavirus today. Maybe we can revisit this when the suicides due to lockdown are over 5% of the actual coronavirus death rate.
    We are clearly having two separate conversations if you think I'm a SJW.

Thanks
    Don't like him but wish him a swift recovery.