Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-y-o racing 2020 (inc. First Season Sires)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Less than impressive start for FSS SHALAA with his first runner today. in the first at Deauville he was sent off at 1/2 but never looked like doing better than the third (of 4) that he achieved.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    3 2yo races on Tuesday. Likely some will be divided.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Some 2-y-o races tomorrowm five in fact.Plenty of first season sires have runners, MEHMAS in particular.

Kempton 2.45

VADAMOS - Balavad, half-brother to Casey Jones, useful over 7-10f.
    NEW BAY - Bowland Park, a half-brother to useful stayer Twenty Years On.
    MEHMAS - Host, first foal of a moderate Makfi mare.
    BOBBY"S KITTEN - Just A Jeroboam, first foal of a poor maiden miler??
    MEHMAS - Kool Moe Dee, first foal of un-raced mare.
    TERRITORIES - William Bligh, out of a mare with several useful offspring.

Newcastle 3.05

MEHMAS - Fools Rush In, first foal of a moderate miler.
    MEHMAS - Muker, half-brother to useful sprinter Lady Mega.
    BURATINO - The Mousen Champ, first foal of un-raced mare.

Newcastle 3.40

KODI BEAR - Digital, first foal of an ordinary miler.
    MEHAMAS - Emirati Dirham, Half-brother to three winners including, Listed Clas, Stake Acclaim.
    BOBBY"S KITTEN - Katty D, first foal of a fair maiden miler.
    MEHMAS - Tapeten Toni, half-brother to moderate midle distance animal.

Newcastle 4.15

TWILIGHT SON - Aish, half-sister to moderate sprinter.
    MEHMAS - Virginia Plane, half-sister to Group 3 winning sprinter Liberty Beach.

Newcastle 4.50

MEHMAS - Mamba Wamba, half-sister to useful sprinter.
    MEHMAS - Samara Bay, half-sister to useful miler.

I'll post again in the morning when the market has formed properly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Eleanora Duse (2nd June 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Kempton 2.45

Science seems to be the only one punters seem to be interested in. Early show yesterday had him at 2/1. Shortened this morning to 11/8.

Some interest in the MEHMAS sired Kool Moe Dee. Very little money for two that I thought might have the breeding - Kawaalees and William Bligh.

Science 11/8 Army Of India 13/2 Kool Moe Dee 13/2 Kawaalees 8 Host 8 Golden Bear 10

Newcastle 3.05

Strong support for Significantly 9/4 from the first offer of 11/2. in the face of that money most of the field are weak with just a little support for Sound Reason. Nothing of note for Strike Red who is a half-brother to the smart 7f. horse Juliet Capulet and a decent 6f. horse.

Significantly 9/4 Lockdown 4 Strike Red 6 Mutazawwed 13/2 Fools Rush In 7 Sound reason 15/2

Newcastle 3.40

A little bit of interest in Digital and for an outsider Lost My Sock (half-brother to decent 10f. horse), all the rest seem weak although Emirati Dirham (MEHMAS half-brother to 3 winners including Listed Class Stake Acclaim) has shortened into 10s from a very early morning 14s.

International Dream 15/4 Digital 5 Andronicus Beau 11/2 Victory Heights 6 Emirati Dirham 10

Newcastle 4.15

Not much confidence in the market leaders here.Navajo Spring has shortened from 16s to 7s. The MEHMAS sired Virginia Plane ( ahalf-sister to Group3 winning sprinter Liberty Beach shares favouritism but has weakened to 4/1 joint.

Virginia Plane 4 Dandala 4 Imperial Butterfly 9/2 Elecric Blue 11/2 Navajo Spring 7

Newcastle 4.50

Looks to be between in the front two in the market Winter Power and Pelekai are both related to decent sprinters and there seems to be very little interest in the rest of them.

Winter Power 6/4 Pelekai 7/2 Desert Vision 10 Samara Bay 11 Hope of Life 12

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Only the one FSS winner today Newcastle 3.05 Muker for MEHMAS at a rather juicy 20/1.

Easier day for me tomorrow with only the 1.55 Yarmouth to look at. Four FSS represented:

MEHMAS - Mehmo, half-brother to smart sprinter.
    MEHMAS - Nelson Gay, h-b to useful 10f. horse.
    COULSTY - Enduring, h-b to useful 7f. animal.
    PRINCE OF LIR - The Lir Jet, h-b to poor maiden.
    SHALAA - Social Rebel, first foal of an un-raced Dansili mare.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 2nd June 2020 at 7:00 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A look back at yesterday's 2-y-o races. I'm not promising to keep this up for long, my stamina and enthusiasm will soon run out.

Kempton 2.45

The well-supported favourite Science was very naughty at the stalls. Army Of India, a typical Johnston horse was pretty professional throughout and showed the determination in a finish, that the majority of his trainer's horses do, to hold off Science.Very difficult to know the quality of the form but the winner is to be aimed at Ascot. Third was the unconsidered , Alan King trained, Painless Potter who showed plenty of promise. Green away from the stalls he made steady headway throughout and was staying on at the finish.

Newcastle 3.05

Sky Racing seemed obsessed with the upcoming 'Royal' Ascot, referencing it for all four 2-y-o races. The fact that this was such a bunch finish suggests that it is unlikely that there was an Ascot winner in this one .Muker (son of MEHMAS) broke well and might have led throughout. I was expecting him to fold when the field came to him but he kept on just well enough to hold off Significantly by a neck. The second looked to have some size and scope and is likely to improve for the race and a longer trip.

Newcastle 3.40

Another bunch finish and little that caught my eye. Lost My Show was finishing strongly.

Newcastle 4.15

Dandalla, weak in the market, was always prominent and ran on well to win nicely. Navajo Spring, well supported, came with a promising run a furlong out but never threatened to catch the winner. Aish, another to find support in the ring, showed some promise.

Newcastle 4.50

Winter Power, well touted all afternoon on Sky Sports Racing, went off the 11/8f. Racing on the outside of the field she came with a strong run but she lost second place close home. couldn't get to the winner who had been hugging the stand rail. The winner, Pelekai, another typical Johnston runner, broke well, made all, kept on well at the finish. An Ascot prospect? Mamba Wamba (33/1), a daughter of MEHMAS, caught the eye with a strong finish to snatch second place and could well improve on this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Eleanora Duse (3rd June 2020)

Thanks
    I'm not one for the flat as you know Col so the FSS aren't my bag, but I do take an interest in the big Festivals, and I'm likely to look back at your notes as they're really useful. Therefore don't take my silence in your new approach as lack of interest.

I also generally find this kind of stuff interesting. Your comments about the second in the second race, and the second in the last race, is something that any flat racing fan should be taking note of and sticking the horses in their trackers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (3rd June 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Back to the Yarmouth 1.55 today.

Not a very active market, Nelson Gay, a son of MEHMAS dominates the market 15/8 into 13/8 this morning with The Lir Jet, son of another FSS PRINCE OF LIR, just tightening from 11/2 very early into 9/2. Little or no interest in the others with the early second favourite Ocean Star out to 8/1 from 9/2.

The other MEHMAS runner Mehmo is at 28/1.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Support for Ocean Star back in to 5/1.

Latest prices: Nelson Gay 13/8 The Lir Jet 9/2 Ocean Star 5 Julie Johnston 9

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Lir Jet (son of FSS PRINCE OF LIR) took this one for Bell. Has been showing up well on Bell gallops.

Looks a hot maiden tomorrow at Newmarket (1.50) but Bell has Vedute in the race and has been as equally impressive as The Lir Jet in gallops: currently 25-1. Mark Johnston horse with Dettori is current favourite but Balding's Tactical is fancied too.

In race FSS:-
    Get It (Twilight Son) for Cox
    Bright Armor (Mehmas) for Cox
    Porfin (Belardo) for Jarvis

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleanora Duse For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (3rd June 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    A look back at yesterday's 2-y-o races. I'm not promising to keep this up for long, my stamina and enthusiasm will soon run out.

Kempton 2.45

The well-supported favourite Science was very naughty at the stalls. Army Of India, a typical Johnston horse was pretty professional throughout and showed the determination in a finish, that the majority of his trainer's horses do, to hold off Science.Very difficult to know the quality of the form but the winner is to be aimed at Ascot. Third was the unconsidered , Alan King trained, Painless Potter who showed plenty of promise. Green away from the stalls he made steady headway throughout and was staying on at the finish.

Newcastle 3.05

Sky Racing seemed obsessed with the upcoming 'Royal' Ascot, referencing it for all four 2-y-o races. The fact that this was such a bunch finish suggests that it is unlikely that there was an Ascot winner in this one .Muker (son of MEHMAS) broke well and might have led throughout. I was expecting him to fold when the field came to him but he kept on just well enough to hold off Significantly by a neck. The second looked to have some size and scope and is likely to improve for the race and a longer trip.

Newcastle 3.40

Another bunch finish and little that caught my eye. Lost My Show was finishing strongly.

Newcastle 4.15

Dandalla, weak in the market, was always prominent and ran on well to win nicely. Navajo Spring, well supported, came with a promising run a furlong out but never threatened to catch the winner. Aish, another to find support in the ring, showed some promise.

Newcastle 4.50

Winter Power, well touted all afternoon on Sky Sports Racing, went off the 11/8f. Racing on the outside of the field she came with a strong run but she lost second place close home. couldn't get to the winner who had been hugging the stand rail. The winner, Pelekai, another typical Johnston runner, broke well, made all, kept on well at the finish. An Ascot prospect? Mamba Wamba (33/1), a daughter of MEHMAS, caught the eye with a strong finish to snatch second place and could well improve on this.
    Great observations Colin.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just the seven 2-y-o races and on Day 4 of the season my enthusiasm is challenged. Also short on stamina so I'm just listing the FSS runners for today.

Let's get the Newcatle 4.30 out of the way.

MEHMAS - Tapeten Toni ? (a runner here on Tuesday)
    ESTIDHKADAR - Double Dealing
    FASCINATING ROCK - High Peak (out of a mare who has produced the winners of 25 races inc. a Group 2 winner)
    BOBBY"S KITTEN - Alvarino
    KODI BEAR - Voodoo Hoodoo (there are a lot of horribly named 2-y-os about)

On to the marathon card at Newmarket (I'm assuming its the Rowley Mile course but I can't see any confirmation of that)

!.15

GOKEN - Magical Diva (GOKEN has done very well with his runners in France)
    ESTIDHKAAR - Risque

!.50

MEHMAS - Bright Armor
    TWILIGHT SON - Get It
    BELARDO - Porfin

VADAMOS - Doonbeg Farmer

BOBBY'S KITTEN - Run Forrest Run (half-brother to 4 winners including a decent miler)
    SHALAA - Saeiqa ?
    MARKAZ - Snash (that sounds rude!)

VADAMOS - Mommasaidknockuout (come on!!!!) (half-sister to 3 winners, one placed at Group level and another Listed)

MEHMAS - Ocean Eyes
    COULSTY - The Chain (half-sister to 10 time winner Something Lucky, a black-type sprinter)

Might come back to fill in with some notes later. Let's see how the day goes.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 4th June 2020 at 9:33 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The only first season sire winner yesterday was The Lir Jet for PRINCE OF LIR. Nelson Gay, by MEHMAS, was always the clear favourite and started at 6/4 but I thought he was rather disappointing never really getting in to race. The winner,The Lir Jet, looked a decent size and was picked in the paddock by Jason Weaver (I refer you to jinnyj's comments on another thread) as looking the most ready for the race looking fitter and most prepared. I don't think the result was in doubt from the moment The Lir Jet established himself at front after a half-furlong, raced a touch freely and had to be shaken up to deal with the brave challenge of Steadman but once the latter was shaken off about a furlong out he won going away. He might be useful.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Eleanora Duse (4th June 2020)

Thanks
    From a sensible crop of about 60 foals GOKEN has already had 4 winners in France. Very few runners in UK and Ireland I suppose but a good start from this cheap stallion by Kendargent. We'll see how Magical Diva goes today.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleanora Duse For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (4th June 2020), edgt (4th June 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Post #32 above edited.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Just the seven 2-y-o races and on Day 4 of the season my enthusiasm is challenged. Also short on stamina so I'm just listing the FSS runners for today.

Let's get the Newcatle 4.30 out of the way.

MEHMAS - Tapeten Toni ? (a runner here on Tuesday)
    ESTIDHKADAR - Double Dealing
    FASCINATING ROCK - High Peak (out of a mare who has produced the winners of 25 races inc. a Group 2 winner)
    BOBBY"S KITTEN - Alvarino
    KODI BEAR - Voodoo Hoodoo (there are a lot of horribly named 2-y-os about)

On to the marathon card at Newmarket (I'm assuming its the Rowley Mile course but I can't see any confirmation of that)

!.15

GOKEN - Magical Diva (GOKEN has done very well with his runners in France)
    ESTIDHKAAR - Risque

!.50

MEHMAS - Bright Armor
    TWILIGHT SON - Get It
    BELARDO - Porfin

VADAMOS - Doonbeg Farmer

BOBBY'S KITTEN - Run Forrest Run (half-brother to 4 winners including a decent miler)
    SHALAA - Saeiqa ?
    MARKAZ - Snash (that sounds rude!)

VADAMOS - Mommasaidknockuout (come on!!!!) (half-sister to 3 winners, one placed at Group level and another Listed)

MEHMAS - Ocean Eyes
    COULSTY - The Chain (half-sister to 10 time winner Something Lucky, a black-type sprinter)

Might come back to fill in with some notes later. Let's see how the day goes.
    Snash is used up here to mean "back talk" or thereabouts.

As in - 'don't geez any snash or I'll stick the heid on ye'

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the translation, simmo.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There were no FSS winners yesterday. Only two 2-y-o races today, thankfully.

Plenty of FSS runners in those races with MARKAZ heavily represented.

Lingfield 12.55

KODI BEAR - Cool Bear
    MARKAZ - No Leci
    MARKAZ - Lady Menilli
    MARKAZ - Twentysharesofgrey
    TERRITORIES -Colorando

Lingfield 1.30

MARKAZ - Mark Of The Man
    MARKAZ - Meant Two B
    MARKAZ - Greycious Girl
    ESTIDHKAAR - Brutal Lion (half-brother to a black-type sprinter)
    AJAYA -Igotatext
    VADAMOS - Matira Bay (out of Blue Holly whose produce have won 28 races between them including the very smart sprinter Monsieur Chevallier)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Eleanora Duse (5th June 2020)

Thanks
    Colin
    None at Newmarket but Dascombe's Adaay Dream got ADAAY off the mark at Newcastle
    Cheers
    ED

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You are correct, ED, my apologies. Mutter....mutter......mutter.

Talking of muttering did anyone OUR Prince doing an impersonation of Paul Whitehouse's character from The Fast Show?.....damned fine show.