Thread: Tv licensing scam

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts

Tv licensing scam

HI ALL - PLEASE NOTE AND SHARE!

EARLIER THIS WEEK I RECEIVED AN EMAIL PURPORTING TO BE FROM TV LICENSING. IT LOOKED 100% GENUINE. MY ONLY CONCERN WAS THAT I WAS SURE THE RENEWAL WASN'T DUE UNTIL MARCH. I THOUGHT LITTLE MORE OF IT UNTIL THIS AFTERNOON AND DECIDED I BETTER CHECK IT UP BEFORE THE WEEKEND. ON FURTHER CHECKING I WAS AGAIN CONVINCED IT WAS GENUINE AND EVEN TRIED TO CHECK OUT THE TV LICENSING SITE SEPARATELY FOR MYSELF. STILL SEEMED 100% OK.

MY EYES ARE BAD THESE DAYS (CATARACTS, AMONG OTHER THINGS) BUT WITH THE AID OF MY TRUSTY MAGNIFYING GLASS I NOTICED THAT THE SECOND 'i' IN 'Licensing' WAS IN FACT AN 'L' (SMALL L). THAT GOT ME WONDERING.

I CALLED THE BANK AND BLOCKED THE CARD AND CONTACTED TV LICENSING BY PHONE. EVENTUALLY GOT THROUGH TO AN AGENT WHO CONFIRMED THE EMAIL IS A SCAM.

BE WARNED AND BE ALERT FOR THIS. IT'S AN INCREDIBLY GENUINE-LOOKING EMAIL!

ONCE AGAIN, PLEASE SHARE AS WIDELY AS POSSIBLE.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks D O, but I think that most people are aware of scams like this that have been doing the rounds for some time now. We must all keep vigilant though, so reminders like this can't do any harm.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Yes. I'm usually very quick to spot scams and, as I said, I even checked this one first. Even the link was to the TV Licensing site - or so it appeared.

It's genuinely the most plausible scam I've come across. Usually there are obvious flaws either in presentation, spelling, grammar or in the reply address.

I had 99% satisfied myself that this was genuine when I filled in the form, despite googling for scams about TV licensing along the way, but a couple of unnecessary exclamation marks and then a double-check on the email address (that small 'l' being indistinguishable to an 'i' to me given my sight issues) got me concerned and that was when I phoned.

I didn't submit the form and the bank says there was no suspicious activity on the card but we agreed to block it anyway and they're issuing me with a new one.

Most people on here, I know, are very aware of scams but this one could very easily trap an unsuspecting older person or less cynical internet user.

It was extremely close to catching me.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I received one of these, mine isn't due until end of April ( altho should have been May as that's when I moved it but because previous tenant cancelled it in April, I have been whacked for a month when the place was empty ) so knew it probably was a scam and they had written the renewal date as 02/09 but said it was due today, which was the 9th. When it popped up on my 'phone it looked genuine though.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The sooner it's scrapped the better.
    Last edited by Marb; 26th February 2020 at 2:59 PM.