Thread: TH Winter Competitions

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

TH Winter Competitions

October so time to turn our thoughts to the Wintercompetitions for the 2019-2020 NH season and beyond which are the Ten To Follow Competition (TTF) historically administered by Diamond Geezer, the Ante-Post Competition (AP) administered by NewApproach as well as the Winter Competition (WC), the result of which is calculated using a formula devised and administered by Grey and based on the finishing positions in the TTF, combined with the most valuable pre-Festival portfolios and profitable portfolios in the AP..

The recent sponsors of our three
    competitions generously agreed to offer a sum of £100, namely swedish chef for the TTF, Grasshopper for the AP and Grey for the WC whilst Roddy Owen and Perpetual put up £50 each for subsidiary prizes. You may recall swedish chef (David) advised at the end of last season's competition that he did not wish to continue sponsoring the TTF competition and I stated it would be a good time for me to step down as administrator as well in order to give a new partnership a turn. I have been in touch with Grassy (Nick) over the weekend who says he is out of love with the game at present and will only be looking in occasionally if at all so does not wish to sponsor the AP Competition anymore. We also appear to have lost Roddy who does not post anymore and who used to sponsor the prize for top scoring Dark Horse in the TTF. Perpetual (Ben) however would continue to sponsored the most valuable portfolio in the AP comp if we proceed and NewApproach (Faye) would continue to run it. Grey will kindly continue his role with the Winter Competition for one more season.

Looking at the longer term, we need some new people to start getting involved quickly if the competitions are to go ahead this year and in the future. If the pool of participants and sponsors continues to decline it will soon be hard to keep going and whilst not everyone's cup of tea the the competitions have played a big part in helping Talking Horses survive longer than some of the other forums, but we are on the same downward trend as the rest of them.

Both TTF and AP competitions are scheduled to start on November 1st this season. Formats would remain the same for all three competitions unless a new administrator for the TTF wishes to run it differently. Whilst the preferred option would be for someone else to run the TTF if it means we can continue with it I will run it again but only if we have sponsors supporting it.

Thoughts? Offers !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Bonjers (1st October 2019), NewApproach (1st October 2019)

Thanks
    Roger. I'll sponsor the TTF. I'd offer to run it too but work commitments at the moment would make it impossible.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

archie (2nd October 2019), Bonjers (1st October 2019), Diamond Geezer (1st October 2019), Grey (1st October 2019), Len Madeiros (2nd October 2019), NewApproach (1st October 2019), Perpetual (2nd October 2019), swedish chef (9th October 2019), viking (3rd October 2019)

Thanks
    Excellent Paul, many thanks on behalf of all players. If someone else volunteers to put up £50 for top scoring dark horse but doesn't want to run the TTF I will keep it going for another year. We could do away with the dark horse element I suppose if no one comes forward, it was introduced at the behest of Roddy who said he would sponsor it.

Thanks
    I've had good entertainment out of these competitions over the years. I'll put up the £50 for the dark horses and would appreciate you keeping the show on the road for another year, DG.
    The older I get the better I was.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

Bonjers (2nd October 2019), Diamond Geezer (2nd October 2019), Grey (2nd October 2019), NewApproach (2nd October 2019), Perpetual (2nd October 2019), swedish chef (9th October 2019)

Thanks
    OK archie it's a deal, thanks a lot.

Just the main sponsor to find for the Ante Post competition and we go for another season.
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 2nd October 2019 at 4:43 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

archie (2nd October 2019)

Thanks
    So we have the following sponsors

Ten To Follow Competition: Maruco £100

Top Scoring Dark Horse in TTF: archie £50

Ante Post Competition: ???? £100

Most valuable portfolio in AP: Perpetual £50

Winter Prize Competition: Grey £100

Just one more sponsor required, without which the Ante Post Competition may be scrapped which in turn will also make the Winter Prize redundant.

Thanks
    Viking asked for £50 due to him last year to be rolled back into this year's fund, so if someone else could match that we would be back to where we were.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (3rd October 2019), swedish chef (9th October 2019)

Thanks
    Put Frontrunner in for the the Ante Post prize. I'll tell him he's sponsoring it later!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

swedish chef (9th October 2019)

Thanks
    Cheers to the sponsors and DG. Quite like these comps even if I don’t do very well.

Hopefully get the numbers back posting on the forum again with any luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    Put Frontrunner in for the the Ante Post prize. I'll tell him he's sponsoring it later!
    Paul, have you spoken to Frontrunner yet, obviously you know him better than me, but I'm not comfortable going ahead on an assumption without a confirmation from one of you ?

Thanks
    He didn't object Roger. If the tightfisted so and so doesn't front up I'll put it in and straight arm him for a few rounds at the bar.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (8th October 2019), swedish chef (9th October 2019)

Thanks
    Ok we are go for this season, thanks again to all sponsors

We have the following sponsors

Ten To Follow Competition: Maruco £100

Top Scoring Dark Horse in TTF: archie £50

Ante Post Competition: Viking (£50) and frontrunner (£50)= £100

Most valuable portfolio in AP: Perpetual £50

Winter Prize Competition: Grey £100

Seems maxbet has still not forwarded Tout Seul's trophy to Maruco for winning the AP, Col I think you said backalong you could contact him, did that happen ?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

archie (9th October 2019), swedish chef (9th October 2019), viking (9th October 2019)