Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to the Champion Hurdle 19/20

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts

Road to the Champion Hurdle 19/20

Possibly early but i'm ready to come out of hibernation

Hopefully some of the regular posters return to form and get posting regularly again

Wide open race with the passing of last year's winner

Guessing we can write off the mares after last year's race

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-09-16_094550.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	2126
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Good man granger. Time to start dusting off the cobwebs and concentrate on the real racing. I’m still holding out hope on Buveur D’Air regaining his crown. I don’t think he was himself last year but did come to something like it at Punchestown.

An awful shame with what happened to Espior D’Allen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I can make more cases against them all not winning at the moment than being super strong on any of them

It's lazy to just write off juveniles but the jump up is huge
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    On paper, it looks a poor renewal. But I'd definitely want Benie des Dieux and last year's third Silver Streak on my side.

Thanks
    Klassical Dream is a worthy favourite but unbackable at the price. I was lucky to get him in some early multiples before the unfortunate news came out about Espoir D'allen though.

The two I'm on early at bigger prices are Saldier 50/1, who's price seems to have collapsed since for some reason, and Elixir Du Nutz 33/1 who I fancied to run a big race in the Supreme, and Tizzard has since stated he will campaigned for the race.

I'm avoiding last seasons juveniles for now. It's unlikely lightening will strike twice, but if it did the one I'll be keeping an eye on is Fusil Raffles. On the face of it his 2 length win against Fakir D'oudairies at Punchestown is below the level of form of Klassical Dream at Cheltenham, but JO'B had said Fakir had an interrupted prep at Cheltenham and was bang on at Punchestown so I'm not taking it too literally. Henderson really likes him too and thinks he's going to be very good. If he's not up to being a Champion Hurdler this season, and it's a year too soon in his development, I reckon he'll go close in the Arkle next season.

In the case of Buveur D'air, 9 year olds have a worse record than the previous season juveniles, and ex-Champions have a terrible record of comebacks. Only Kauto Star from memory has adone it on my lifetime, and as much as I like Buveur D'air, he's no Kauto.
    Last edited by Maruco; 16th September 2019 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I got all excited when I saw the topic title and then deflated when I saw the field. If I had to back one now it would be BD at 7/1.
    Last edited by an capall; 16th September 2019 at 12:00 PM.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    With you on Elexir Paul

He can win a race if its a hardy Eustace like renewal and he comes back fit and healthy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post

In the case of Buveur D'air, 9 year olds have a worse record than the previous season juveniles, and ex-Champions have a terrible record of comebacks. Only Kauto Star from memory has adone it on my lifetime, and as much as I like Buveur D'air, he's no Kauto.
    The Fly!

Thanks
    And he for sure ain't no Fly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    And he for sure ain't no Fly
    Nor a Moscow Flyer either!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Beef or Salmon For This Useful Post:

granger (17th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mullins said: "Klassical Dream has done well over the last few months and he looks very well. He didn't do anything wrong last season and you would like to think he looks as good as some of our past champion hurdlers."

The trainer added: "He could start off in the Morgiana, but the race at Down Royal is definitely an option too and there is the Hatton's Grace at Fairyhouse as well. I don't like to pin mine down to one specific target this early, so we'll keep our options open."

"I know Saldier hasn't run in a while, but nobody has forgotten about him around here, that's for sure," said Mullins. "It's funny, it was only this morning that I commented to someone just how well he looked and how strong he had become. He looks great."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    " I don't like to pin mine down to one specific target"

No **** Sherlock!

"And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

Thanks
    Who is Willie bidding with the idea of BDD chasing

Labaik is back in training also

Thanks
    Willie is strongly in favour of the mares chase that’s coming to the festival soon. Said he’d be sending Lurina there this year if he could. I’d keep BDD over hurdles, but I’m not a multi time champion trainer.

Buveur D’air for me this year, in what I believe could be another average renewal.

I’m with whoever posted Elixir De Nutz, I was all over him for the Supreme till he was injured. He beat Itchy Feet early in the season and that proved to be a good piece of form. With this the confirmed target, 33/1 e/w appeals very much to me.
    Last edited by Double J; 30th October 2019 at 7:47 PM.

Thanks
    Elixir is one i really like too.

Thanks
    I hope they keep aiming upwards with Honeysuckle
    Last edited by granger; 12th November 2019 at 1:06 PM.

Thanks
    Morgiana beckons

Do look forward to seeing how KD has summered

Townend added: “Klassical Dream is a completely different horse to Hurricane Fly – he was a Flat horse with loads of speed whereas Klassical Dream is more of a National Hunt type, probably more like Faugheen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    I hope they keep aiming upwards with Honeysuckle
    Was watching replays of this yesterday. He jumped a lot of the hurdles big towards the end. Has to be a slight concern.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Handful View Post
    Was watching replays of this yesterday. He jumped a lot of the hurdles big towards the end. Has to be a slight concern.
    She

It's a huge step up for any mare to go into open company

I actually loved how big she was at her hurdles. She will jump a fence

Laurina went off fav for the CH last year (I think without checking). Honeysuckle should be just as good as her

That by no way means she can compete, just a comparison