Thread: Irish Champions Weekend

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Irish Champions Weekend

Bad news this morning that Pat Smullen has had to get more chemotherapy so misses his intended ride in his Legends Race.
    Wishing him all the very best .

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

G-G (14th September 2019), Grey (22nd August 2019)

Thanks
    I was very sorry to hear that. Best wishes to him.

Thanks
    Sad to hear-hopefully next year.

Thanks
    After today's exciting drawn game, the replay of the All Ireland Football Final will kick off at 6pm on Saturday week, just 25 minutes or so before the Irish Champion Stakes is due to start. The last couple of days of the Listowel festival will be badly affected too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just wondering will they reschedule the race order to run the Group 1s earlier or will the major players leave well enough alone to allow jockeys fly in from UK for the big races ?
    I remember the year the last day of Listowel clashed with a Kerry All Ireland final they raced at 11.30 am to have races over by 3.30 throw in; a bad wet day only the horses showed up !
    It was the year Tuesday was postponed to Sunday.
    Last edited by edgt; 1st September 2019 at 9:45 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    After today's exciting drawn game, the replay of the All Ireland Football Final will kick off at 6pm on Saturday week, just 25 minutes or so before the Irish Champion Stakes is due to start. The last couple of days of the Listowel festival will be badly affected too.
    Not good for Leopardstown-RTE will have to move the 6 o clock news.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 736 Posts
    6pm is a stupid time
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Remarkably passive topic a couple of days ahead of 'Ireland's Ascot.'

At this juncture I am mostly looking forward to backing Skittar Scatter in the Matron and Elarqam in the CS. very disappointing that Japan has been taken out of the big race. Other than that Albigna in the Moyglare Armory in the NS are most of interest. Hard to believe the Leger is a Group One. They should just cut to the point and send them all to a Novice Hurdle at Punchestown up the road.

Does anybody know if the Japanese tote will be pooled in The CS?

I'll def be there on Saturday at usual parade ring place for those attending.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

Marb (11th September 2019)

Thanks
    Headman will win the Irish Champion

Laurens has an easy race in the Matron

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks sunybay. Takes the guessing out of it!
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to the racing and meeting up with the regular crew.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Looking forward to the racing and meeting up with the regular crew.
    See you in Feb
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Barring unforeseen events, we should have decent ground at both tracks for the weekend. Looking forward to meeting the usual suspects.

Thanks
    I share AC’s opinion on Albigna in the Moyglare. Her win LTO at the Curragh was incredible. Whilst I’m biased just go on You Tube, type in Albigna and it will show the finishing stages. Even knowing the result it’s still difficult to believe she wins against some decent opponents. I cannot readily recall seeing such acceleration on a racecourse.
    On the same day I’m looking for another top class horse, Pinatubo, to at least be strongly challenged or hopefully beaten by a 10/1 shot, Arizona. The latter has only failed to give its all when running on heavy ground at Deauville. His performance on good to firm at Ascot was one of the best at the meeting and had me deciding that he was a horse to follow. OK, I didn’t follow him at Deauville because of the ground but I have backed him ew for the Vincent O’Brien.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (14th September 2019)

Thanks
    An enjoyable weekend, arguably better than anticipated. Leopardstown definitely struck lucky with the weather which always helps the day. Magical deserved her day in the big one, with an honourable mention for Deirdre who should have got second. Laurens blew out in the Matron and while there was always the possibility that Hermosa and her would cut each others throats, the latter at least showed a return to form and I picked the wrong to come through and pick up the pieces. Mogul has promise, Norway was a gamble and a half and plenty rowed in with Ado in the last.

The Curragh would have no luck if they didn't have bad luck and the weather wasn't great. Nonetheless, they have made some improvements in recent times and it was a good day. There was a definitely a positive vibe around with the Legends race, however sad the circumstances. The racing was very good, albeit again with a few disappointments, most notably Soffia. Having backed Love in the Debutante it was pleasing to see her get her turn in the Moyglare, a really good race. The National wasn't a race as such, simply a procession. We've seen superstar 2YOs fail to train on, but this surely was as good as it gets from a juvenile. The main stand were applauding long before he reached the line. I was there when George Washington tonked them 8 lengths in the Phoenix but he beat trees. I'd say this was a much better field than that and he was having a race of his own. I thought Kew Gardens would probably have won the Leger with a prep, but credit to Hayes who rode a cracker and with the day that was in it, it probably seemed appropriate. I'm not going to dwell on the Poet coming from Leopardstown to nut me in the last.

All positives, but the buts remain. They'll have wanted more of a crowd than the 10k that turned up, but again I'd ask where they'd have put them? The facilities were just about perfect for that size of a crowd which made it a really enjoyable day. Add in another 5 or 10k and then what? They did have their marquee near the furlong post, but of course it blocked the view of the track for anyone in the lower section of the stand. Good job they've belatedly opened up some of the upper areas to the public - and the views are great.

Some work done, more to do.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Narcotic Nora For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (17th September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    I share AC’s opinion on Albigna in the Moyglare. Her win LTO at the Curragh was incredible. Whilst I’m biased just go on You Tube, type in Albigna and it will show the finishing stages. Even knowing the result it’s still difficult to believe she wins against some decent opponents. I cannot readily recall seeing such acceleration on a racecourse.
    On the same day I’m looking for another top class horse, Pinatubo, to at least be strongly challenged or hopefully beaten by a 10/1 shot, Arizona. The latter has only failed to give its all when running on heavy ground at Deauville. His performance on good to firm at Ascot was one of the best at the meeting and had me deciding that he was a horse to follow. OK, I didn’t follow him at Deauville because of the ground but I have backed him ew for the Vincent O’Brien.
    Bit late now TS, but I'd always be wary of French going descriptions. The Deauville race was run just 1.2 secs above standard, and RP have the timed ground as 'good' for the whole meeting.
    Incidentallly, they also have Arizona running the same RPR both races, which supports the view that Pinatubo is every bit as good as he seemed.
    Last edited by reet hard; 17th September 2019 at 4:32 AM.

Thanks
    I'd agree with your assessment, NN, including your last paragraph. Anything they could do to improve access from the motorway would also be a big improvement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Bit late now TS, but I'd always be wary of French going descriptions. The Deauville race was run just 1.2 secs above standard, and RP have the timed ground as 'good' for the whole meeting.
    Incidentallly, they also have Arizona running the same RPR both races, which supports the view that Pinatubo is every bit as good as he seemed.
    Yep- Timeform have it as Soft!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Pinatubo is indubitably a superb horse and put some decent hoses to the sword. Would have been worth the price of admission just to watch that. Fortunately, and probably undeservedly, my bet at 10’s ew made a profit.