Thread: Caveat Puntor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts

Caveat Puntor

Something that might catch you out unawares, as it did me today...

I thought I'd landed a place double and a place treble today with Headman (w), Breden (w) and Romanised (4th) in the treble and the latter two in the double.

I placed both bets with B365 via oddschecker. Using the oddschecker site, the betslip said they were paying 4 places on the Lockinge but the bet was settled as a loser because it was an "enhanced place" offer, with the 4th place only available directly at the B365 site.

I don't recall this situation ever arising before but B365 are standing their ground and saying they cannot uphold my claim to be paid out because I used a third-party site.

So be careful out there.

B365 won't be getting any of my business for a while if I can get the same odds elsewhere. It's a shame as I'm always quick to defend them on here.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    if you have screenshots, go through B365's complaints procedure and also complain to the ASA.
    Oddschecker is an affiliate site (owned by Skybet) and the operator is responsible for affiliate advertising. Firms have been given massive fines not too long ago for similar things to this. Thats why whenever I post bookie offers over cheltenham etc I now have to list T&C's under the offer.

Thanks
    I don't have screenshots and to be honest I'm not overly fussed about it all. I'm happy to badmouth B365 on social media. I find it's more effective and the money is small beer. After all, if Romanised had won i'd have taken them for ££££ by comparison.

When discussing the matter with them they referred me to the 8.50 at Uttoxeter, saying they were paying the 'enhanced' fourth place but while on the phone to them I went in via oddschecker and they were showing just three places in the table and in the betslip so had I opted to bet in that race it wouldn't have occurred to me that a fourth place could have been available if I'd made the bet via the B365 site. I explained this to them and that the oddschecker site said four places [for the Lockinge] but their reply was that they cannot be held responsible for bets placed via a third party site.

If them's the rules them's the rules. If by highlighting their parsimony via social media I cost them more than they've cost me I can live with that.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 19th May 2019 at 12:35 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

dvds2000 (19th May 2019)

Thanks
    I followed a fellow-forumite's advice and contacted someone else for advice.

They replied:
    If you have a Bet365 account that is not restricted, I would suggest it would not be a wise move to pursue this in all honesty.

If you raised a complaint via Resolver it's perfectly possible that they would agree to pay you as a goodwill gesture, however it is also likely your account would then be flagged and restricted as a result.

Bet365 do often have several different markets on horse racing with different win prices dependent on the concession they are attaching to it - BOG, Money Back, Extra Place, etc.

I appreciate that you placed the bet in good faith, but would assume the place terms would have been visible on your Bet Slip before you confirmed it?

I can understand your frustration here, but think it's probably best to learn from it and move on.
    This is the way I was thinking anyway so that's what I'll do but people should be aware that the situation can arise. In the short term, I'll use other bookies unless B365 are offering better odds.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (19th May 2019)