Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: York Day Two

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Cannot see Japan going after that.
    Moore claimed he was very happy with Japan's run. I think we'll see a different horse at Epsom but it's hard to back him after that run.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As the amicable Ed Chamberlain said beforehand, I want an English contender, (he's got one now).
    Last edited by Marb; 16th May 2019 at 3:57 PM.

Thanks
    Cannot see Japan going after that. AVD didn’t impress me and I haven’t seen Broome.
    AVD really impressed me. He had Group 1 form as a 2yo and his placing at Lingfield suggested he'd need the run. Prefer him to SD who enjoyed a pace collapse and Broome who looks like a Group 2 boat type.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I don't dislike Mick but I'd have expected him to speak more softly and maybe even give it a bit more room seeing the horse was already buzzy.
    Cumani gets way too close to the horses and annoys a lot of them - and the viewers as well. There's absolutely no need for a presenter to walk along side the horses and be in the picture.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    The 2yo winner looked good and won very well.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Cumani gets way too close to the horses and annoys a lot of them - and the viewers as well. There's absolutely no need for a presenter to walk along side the horses and be in the picture.
    I can't say I've noticed horses getting annoyed by Cumani. I just wondered if MF's voice was getting to TDH. I say that because there's a woman brings her dog to church in the morning and it sits in the back porch, good as gold. But there's one reader who has quite a grating voice and the dog tends to howl and whimper whenever he does the readings. Our own wee guy used to slope off to another room whenever my sister-in-law visited. Clever wee bugger...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    But you don't complain when Alice plunkett does it......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    I think Telecaster could be dangerous if tracking the pace and slipping the field at Epsom like that. SD will need to be awake to that. But you would have to hope occasion doesn’t get to Telecaster as he looks lively.
    Cannot see Japan going after that. AVD didn’t impress me and I haven’t seen Broome.
    Maybe John Gosden was the author of his own downfall by having Turgenev go off like a scalded cat in the early stages? Had all the appearance of testing TDH's stamina for the Blue Riband; certainly JG was quick after the race to lower his sights to the 1m SJP.
    Telecaster had the cards fall his way today, but he won't be meeting horses racing flat out early in the Derby.

Re Japan; don't think Aidan takes the race at all seriously, and don't ever recall him running his principal Derby hope in it. He'll be much better placed to guage the strength of the likely opposition, though.

Thanks
    The race is hard to guage. The winner benefitted from being towed along and outstayed tdh. The rest were far too far back to have a chance of catching the front two. Japan was given a typical easy,first run,ride by Moore. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Japan reverses the form next time but I doubt either will head to the derby. I can see Japan going to royal Ascot and telecaster to the Irish derby. Can't see O'Brien not winning it. Sir dragonet if it's soft and Broome or avd if it's good or better. I'm sure ballydoyle will hatch a cunning plan as always. Fwiw I think avd is the best bet tight now.
    Last edited by Edinahib; 16th May 2019 at 9:57 PM.

Thanks
    I was impressed by Telecaster staying on so powerfully after chasing the pace . £85,000 is a lot to supplement and according to the RP the owner dos not sound that keen .

I was surprised they ruled out TDH so quickly - he ran like he blew up rather than as a definite non-stayer but Frankie would know far more about it than me !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    It would be interesting to see some sectionals for the race. Despite the apparent pace, the overall race time was only marginally quicker than the steadily run Musidora and that, and watching the race back, suggest the others were slowing, rather than Telecaster quickening.
    There's also support in his pedigree for the surmise that he may need at least 12f to be seen at his best. His running style also suggests he might be suited to the more galloping nature of the Curragh, rather the helter-skelter of Epsom.

Re TDH; iirc, JG said (in conversation with Chappers) he didn't stay, before Frankie returned to the paddock, all of which lends credence to the view, the race was set up as a stamina test
    e
    Last edited by reet hard; 17th May 2019 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    But you don't complain when Alice plunkett does it......
    I do but she's not first choice is she? There's absolutely no need for it but at least AP knows a bit about NH horses. I have been at many a paddock and see horses getting fretful about having them walk round next to them. I have many a video where all the analysis of horses in the paddock is done by voice over and never a presenter seen, and it's far far better, plus they actually did used to show every horse in every race and not just the favourite/top 5 in the betting.
    ITV - 'this is the favourite walking round here -let's have a look at the favourite on the way to the start, let's have a look at the favourite round the back of the stalls, there's X jockey on the favourite looking calm/relaxed/getting a little warm..........."
    Vote Alfie!!!!