Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gigginstown

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Winner v Loser, Good v Bad - easy narrative and it got us talking at least which is maybe why it was published or perhaps to have a little dig at O'Leary
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

2. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

Marb (22nd May 2019)

Thanks
    It was more interesting than gigilos constant rants about the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation.....

Thanks
    Alan Sweetman in his column today a far more measured piece.

I did enjoy his parting shot,

"nor, to his credit, did he have any interest in using racehorse ownership as a vehicle for social advancement, or in seeking to ingratiate himself among the hierarchy of racing. He is far too self-confident for that".

Plenty of candidates for that award.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    What an insulting, patronising load of spin.

O Leary packed up because he and his children are busy doing other things. He came in the game, won plenty of races, demanded results and got many good results.

Unlike JP, who happily paid 20 million (that's what he told the tax man anyway ) to place Jonjo O Neill in Jackdaws Castle.

The only loser from O Leary's departure is the bloodstock industry, I think that's pretty clear.

As for the Ferguson bit. Ferguson didn't take anyone on. It never went to court. He was distraught that a supposedly good friend shafted him, but why, eh?

Well everything was just fine until The Rock of Gibralter beat Hawk Wing in The 2000 Guineas, (after an admittedly awful ride by Jamie Spencer on Hawk Wing). Magnier couldn't handle it.

At that juncture something changed in the Magnier/Ferguson relationship and/or friendship and Alex Fergusons rights to The Rock Of Gibralter's stud fee's to boot
    I hear Hawk Wing is in Korea these days. Let's hope King Jong-Un doesn't attempt to ride him.
    Last edited by Marb; 23rd May 2019 at 9:24 PM.

Thanks
    Off to Korea myself soon. Hopefully Kim doesn't like pasty Irish men
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm in Seoul next week. I'll let you know if I get out alive - although I am more pastry than pasty these days..
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    I was told at the time, by someone who would know, that Ferguson's 'ownership' of ROG was deemed by Magnier only to be while he was racing and there was never any agreement about stud rights/fees, which Ferguson had believed was included in the arrangement.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, if true that sounds like they're both a pair of halfwits to me. At least Alex came from a deprived, son of a miner-background.

Anyway, they probably wouldn't be the first so called 'self made' business people that didn't know their arse from their elbows.
    Last edited by Marb; 24th May 2019 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    I'm in Seoul next week. I'll let you know if I get out alive - although I am more pastry than pasty these days..
    Have fun and break some hearts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    I was told at the time, by someone who would know, that Ferguson's 'ownership' of ROG was deemed by Magnier only to be while he was racing and there was never any agreement about stud rights/fees, which Ferguson had believed was included in the arrangement.
    Plenty of legendary tales have been doing the rounds in recent years. I heard one recently that Ferguson was gifted his share in the horse when the owners had no idea how good ROG would be, hence they hadn't even considered stud fees etc

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I would have thought there would have been a written agreement setting out the precise terms of the agreement. Apparently not, and thus the confusion. Surprised AF`s lawyers pursued the matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Magnier had wanted Alex to deliver the Gimcrack speech the previous year but that was not allowed as only the winning owner could make the speech.
    Thus ROG half share was gifted to Alex for his racing career; Alex took no prize money wanting the stud fees instead.
    the horse proved to be more than a Gimcrack pony and the rest is history.

Thanks
    history being that the Magnier and Co invest in United shares, helping pave the way for the Glazer takeover when selling up, and the current state of United???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    Plenty of legendary tales have been doing the rounds in recent years. I heard one recently that Ferguson was gifted his share in the horse when the owners had no idea how good ROG would be, hence they hadn't even considered stud fees etc

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
    Well this was at the time, and by someone who would actually know the facts rather than spin tales.
    Spencer will never forgive himself for that ride. One didn't need to be an expert in lip reading to know what he was saying to himself as he pulled up.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Strange decision. The pilots work flexi hours, and the kids can get a taxi.

Thanks
    Eddie is still around at sales. Not sure if he is doing his own thing or consulting for others

Thanks

Thanks
    I'd agree with most of that, the horses are campaigned openly and they've not been afraid to use female jockeys. These are important positives, that in my opinion put them well ahead of certain other big owners. On the other hand the frequent comments about how awful some of the horses are, just after they've won races the rest of us would chop a hand off to win, are ungracious, and the treatment of Davy Russell and Bryan Cooper has not been pretty.