Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000 Guineas 2019

Thanks

1000 Guineas 2019

I can only see a thread for the 2000. Thoughts on the 1000 anyone? Will the draw still be a big advantage today? If so it could be Ryan's turn.
    Last edited by 2017diary; 5th May 2019 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks
    Donnacha looked to be on the right one yesterday and think he can do the double, this time for Joseph.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Qabala
    Immense promise, but yet to prove she can perform at this level, or at the pace this may require.

Iridessa
    Won Fillies Mile over this c/d, but that was a relatively laboured success, and her overall form suggests she may lack the gears for this.

Just Wonderful
    Won Rockfel Stakes over 7f of this track, and showed the turn of foot that should stand her in good stead today. Nearside rail draw, but most of the pace looks to be on her side of the course. Blew out in Breeders Cup, but got shuffled back after an awkward start, and the tight track wouldn't have helped her get back into it.

Skitter Scatter
    Won Moyglare latest, but that was another laboured victory though she won 3 from 5 last season, most in similar manner. Will make them all go, but might fall just short of the standard required.

Fairyland

As yesterday, Frankie seems to have drawn the short straw, and cops for a sprinter trying to convert to a miler.

12/1 bar these few and, though there's been bigger shocks in the past, I'llbe surprised if the winner doesn't emerge from those above.

Summary: Just Wonderful has a lot in her favour and given the rub of the green, looks to be the clear cut winner. Have also done the forecast, her to beat Skitter Scatter, which could provide a lucrative bonus.
    Last edited by reet hard; 5th May 2019 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I'm not sure we'll ever see Just Wonderful on the track again. She appeared to be refusing to co-operate with Moore all the way home from about halfway and I'm not sure they'll want to put headgear on her. With a colt you'd have the option of gelding but would headgear cut the value of a potential broodmare?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks

1000 Guineas 2019

Remarkable that Just Wonderful ran on to be 6th given she fluffed the start and looked reluctant for most of the race as DO has said. Skitter Scatter very disappointing

Only about 3 lengths back to Iridessa in 8th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by viking; 5th May 2019 at 6:47 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I'm not sure we'll ever see Just Wonderful on the track again. She appeared to be refusing to co-operate with Moore all the way home from about halfway and I'm not sure they'll want to put headgear on her. With a colt you'd have the option of gelding but would headgear cut the value of a potential broodmare?
    Might just have been one of those days - fillies sometimes have them.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    I am a fan of Hermosa which probably has something to do with the fact that she was about the only winner I backed on my visit to Galway last year. She looked tough and must go well in the Oaks.

sheila Lavery’s comments after the race appeared to be defensive about Robbie Colgan but parking a horse wide and with no cover at Newmarket when it is a doubtful stayer can most flatteringly be described as unusual tactics . His lack of knowledge of the track undid her chance .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. I only watched the race on playback and had I not known Hermosa won it I would have thought Kaya was all over the winner right from the off. If he had covered her up she would have won.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    On a slightly different note - what do we make of Maqsad's performance in the Pretty Polly?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Agreed. I only watched the race on playback and had I not known Hermosa won it I would have thought Kaya was all over the winner right from the off. If he had covered her up she would have won.
    There has to be the chance that Hermosa would have found more and fended her off. LK looked the winner to me all the way too but I took my eye off her in the final furlong knowing she wasn't getting to Hermosa while I was trying to work out what was going on in Just Wonderful's head. (I'm giving Moore the benefit of the doubt and assuming he wasn't holding her back with his money on the winner...)

Thanks
    DO that is a perfectly valid view but Lady Kaya looked to be in front 100 yards out to me and curled up close home .

Maqsad was impressive but it was a weak renewal I think with Clematis backing out so dramatically two out .

Also the two Gosden fillies who beat her at Yarmouth look pretty smart and Both of those fillies run in the Cheshire Oaks where Enable announced herself two years ago.
    Last edited by Ardross; 8th May 2019 at 8:37 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    There has to be the chance that Hermosa would have found more and fended her off. LK looked the winner to me all the way too but I took my eye off her in the final furlong knowing she wasn't getting to Hermosa while I was trying to work out what was going on in Just Wonderful's head. (I'm giving Moore the benefit of the doubt and assuming he wasn't holding her back with his money on the winner...)
    Oh, sure; the multi-millionaire RM would risk his lucrative career, personal and family pride & everything else he holds sacred ...... just to land a punt?
    Have you any idea how daft that comes across?
    Fwiw, I've watched the replay a few times now and Just Wonderful spent most of the race trying to hang to her left, to my unpracticed eye, ran like a filly who was feeling something.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge of such matters would care to exercise a view?
    Last edited by reet hard; 7th May 2019 at 5:43 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Oh, sure; the multi-millionaire RM would risk his lucrative career, personal and family pride & everything else he holds sacred ...... just to land a punt?
    It does sound a bit on the daft side!

Thanks
    I said I was assuming that wasn't the case but I wouldn't put anything past any jockey. Money is a huge corruptor.

Edit:

Thinking about it again, I do realise it does sound a bit daft but I do believe stuff like this happens. How often have we seen lesser-fancied stable reps (any stable) beat seemingly more-fancied stablemates? Some instances are entirely fathomable but some just aren't. AOB very recently said the great thing about Ryan Moore was that he was a proper 'team player' and that he accepted he wouldn't always be on the right one. You can imagine how that played out in my mind at the time and maybe it was still bouncing around in there the other day. Let's be honest, there's plenty of space in there...

Still. my gut feeling is that Just Wonderful will next be seen at Crufts but I still wonder what might have happened if two or three of the field had opted to come down the near rail.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 7th May 2019 at 7:26 PM.

Thanks
    Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Thanks
    Or does it.........

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Moore doesn't get to pick and choose. Ballydoyle decides who rides what.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    I presumed that happened occasionally but not all the time.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I doubt Lester would have accepted that !

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    'Tis true. Tis also true that they will generally assign him to the horse they believe has the best chance of winning.