Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandown Bet365 gold cup

Thanks

Sandown Bet365 gold cup

The Bet365 Gold Cup will be known to older racing fans as The Whitbread, this 3m5 1/2f race is the last big jumping event of the NH season, and being staged on a mixed (jumps/flat) card then for many this signals the real handover between the two codes.

Run at Sandown Park racecourse the staying Handicap Grade Three chase has been won by some leading names over the years, including Desert Orchid, who landed the prize back in 1988. It’s also been a poor race for the favourite in recent times with not a single market leader win since Beau took the race in 2000, while it might pay to note that 23 of the last 28 (82%) winners carried less than 11st to victory.

Here at TQ we’ve got all the stats ahead of the 2019 renewal, this year run on Saturday April 28th.

Past Bet365 Gold Cup Winners

2018 – STEP BACK (7/1)
    2017 – HELLAN HARRI (40/1)
    2016 – THE YOUNG MASTER (8/1)
    2015 – JUST A PAR (14/1)
    2014 – HADRIANS APPROACH (10/1)
    2013 – QUENTIN COLLONGES (14/1)
    2012 – TIDAL BAY (9/1)
    2011 – POKER DE SIVOLA (11/1)
    2010 – CHURCH ISLAND (20/1)
    2009 – HENNESSY (13/2)
    2008 – MONKERHOSTIN (25/1)
    2007 – HOT WELD (6/1)
    2006 – LACDOUDAL (10/1)
    2005 – JACK HIGH (16/1)
    2004 – PUNTAL (25/1)
    2003 – AD HOC (7/1)

Bet365 Gold Cup Betting Trends and Stats

16/16 – Had raced in the last 56 days
    15/16 – Carried 11-5 or less in weight
    13/16 – Carried 11-0 or less
    13/16 – Had won over 3m or further before
    12/16 – Aged 9 or younger
    11/16 – Returned 14/1 or shorter in the betting
    10/16 – Had raced in the last 25 days
    9/16 – Officially rated 140 or higher
    9/16 – Came from the top 7 in the betting market
    8/16 – Finished 4th or worse last time out
    3/16 – Trained by Paul Nicholls
    3/16 – Won last time out
    2/16 – Ran in the Aintree Grand National last time out
    2/16 – Ran in the Scottish Grand National last time out
    2/16 – Won by an Irish-trained horse
    2/16 – Trained by Philip Hobbs
    0/16 – Winning favourites
    The average winning SP in the last 16 years is 14/1

Other Key Bet365 Gold Cup Facts

The last winning favourite was Beau in 2000
    Just one 6 year-old winner since 1959
    23 of the last 28 (82%) winners carried less than 11st
    8 year-olds have won 6 of the last 16 runnings (40%)
    12 of the last 16 (75%) winners were aged 7, 8 or 9 years-old
    Trainer Paul Nicholls has won the race 4 times

TQ VERDICT: The Bet365 Gold Cup has been a graveyard race for favourite backers in recent years, with the last winning market leader coming in 2000. It’s also been a bad race for horses coming off a break as ALL of the last 16 winners took this having raced within the last 56 days – not good news for two of the popular ones in the betting – Talkischeap, who last raced 63 days ago, and Present Man, who was in action 98 days ago. Horses aged 9 or younger have done best too – winning 12 of the last 16 so that might be deemed a negative for the 10 year-olds – Joe Farrell, Vyta Du Roc, The Young Master, who won this race in 2016 – while we’ve also two 11 year-olds in Rathlin Rose and Le Reve. With 15 of the last 16 winners carrying 11-5 or less his means the top-weight Beware The Bear and Yala Enki have this stat to overcome, while 23 of the last 28 winners actually carried less than 11st – this further rules out Rock The Kasbah, who was runner-up in the race 12 months ago and sixth in 2017. Last year’s winner – STEP BACK (e/w) – does, however, tick all the mentioned trends and can go well again. This 9 year-old gets in with 10st 11lbs and despite being rated 10lbs higher than last year does seem to run well at Sandown (1st and 3rd). Yes, he was pulled up in the National, but this shorter trip will help and should be much better for the run as it came after 3 months out. Nico De Boinville gets on well with him too and I think he’s got a good chance of becoming the first horse since Topsham Bay (1992-93) to win this race in back-to-back seasons. The only slight niggle is that he’s hovering around the favourites berth and this race hasn’t been the kindest to market leaders recently. Of the rest, 8 year-olds have done well in the race of late, so ROLLING DYLAN (e/w), PRIME VENTURE (e/w) and CAPTAIN CHAOS (e/w) are others to consider at the bigger prices. Of that trio, Rolling Dylan has run well over this sort of trip in the past and with just 10-9 will be racing with his lightest weight since going chasing. While the Nicholls-trained Give Me A Copper is sure to be popular with just 10-9 in weight. He’s lightly-raced with just 4 runs over fences and I’ve already mentioned the good record of the yard in this race. It wouldn’t surprise me in the money came for him in the build-up, but after falling last time out he’s got to bounce back and weakened over 3m here at Sandown back in February over 3m – yes, he’s got 16lbs less in weight to carry but he’s also got another 5 furlongs to go this time. Just A Sting will have Sean Bowen riding and he’s actually won two of the last three runnings of this race, while course winner Ballydine also gets in with very light weights and if putting recent poor runs behind them can’t be dismissed.
    Last edited by luckyme; 26th April 2019 at 2:57 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:

Marb (27th April 2019), Outsider (26th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Cyrname missing out is a shitter
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I've had a look through this tonight but not really come up with anything that solid. I fail to see why Adrien du Pont is such a big price has beat both Talk Is Cheap and Just a Sting this season fair and square and has certainly shaped more likely to appreciate the step up in trip more than the other two.

I think someone had already put up Ballydine on the Long shot thread and that's a fair shout also. Would've gone close in the Peter Marsh had he not clouted one close to home likes good ground, 1-1 at the track and shapes as if he'd stay all day.

Joe Farrell ran a stinker in the Nash..thats forgivable, ran a cracker before that at Newbury, big figure might have had a hard enough race to finish him for the season if not he's a big player back on faster ground and certainly stays the trip.

Those are the best 3 at the prices I've just ended up playing some combi forecasts myself and will probably add another couple of juicy priced ones for the Trifecta probably Rolling Dylan and Vyta du Roc to try and pay for the Christmas in the Canaries

Good luck amigo's.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    I also like Ballydine at a big price and will also chuck a few ££ on Vyta Du Roc who's 2/2 placing at Sandown and will be happy on the ground

Thanks
    I've never been that keen on Vyta myself but I was thinking the same perp. He's run no sort of race for a while but first time visor like you say a liking for the course and ground to some degree got me interested in him that said though there are plenty i could make some sort of case for in this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think STEP BACK has a good chance of following up last years win.i thought he ran well for a long way in the national and probably was looked after for this.he beat ROCK THE KASBAH easily last year but is 15lb worse off.
    I've done both,but RTK will have to perform better than he did at aintree.
    One at a price that could be interesting is tizzard with young jonjo on it.forgot its name (again) but has been running in all the big hurdle races and its chase mark is 15lb lower.although there is nothing in its form to say it will stay this far.
    I think YALA ENKI could run a big race at 25s but would prefer it softer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Danny (27th April 2019)

Thanks
    West approach is the Tizzard horse you speak of but unless Ive missed something Rock the Kazbah is only 7lb better off with Step back mate not 15lb.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pleased Prime Venture was given an each way shout by the original poster. If the rain comes he will outrun those odds of 25-1. The horse is on a workable/exploitable rating. He could turn out to be a good ride for Adam Wedge. Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by Marb; 27th April 2019 at 8:22 AM.

Thanks
    The Young Master for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    I've switched main-bet allegiances from Step Back to Talkischeap as I'm uncertain about whether last year's winner will like this ground.

One other thing that interests me in the race is that there are now four non-runners and I wonder how bookies will react. This is the race that caused my original dispute with and boycott of PP as they were going, if memory serves, 5 places on the day and even at the time I placed the bet after the NRs were known but they refused to honour the minor place my horse secured. What angered me most wasn't that they refused to honour the bet - I could understand a 'human error' situation - but they called me a liar for claiming they had offered the multiple places to start with, when there were other forumites who had seen it for themselves.

I'd like to think it was water under the bridge all these years later and I've more than skinned PP since I renewed my account with them ahead of Cheltenham last year (50/1 Tiger Roll in the National - GIRFUY - for one) but it will be interesting to see what happens.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I was under the impression rain was going to arrive?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ah well. Talkischeap is my bet now, can't back Prime Venture on this ground.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

viking (27th April 2019)

Thanks
    Rolling Dylan e/way main bet and a small e/way on West Approach as he looks well handicapped on hurdles mark and may come good over fences one day?
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    Rolling Dylan for me too and I’ve also backed Joe Farrell who didn’t take to the GN fences and can do better here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He's no Mill House but this is such a moderate field in comparison to years gone by "Beware The Bear" could win this off top weight
    Last edited by Tanlic; 27th April 2019 at 11:59 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    West approach is the Tizzard horse you speak of but unless Ive missed something Rock the Kazbah is only 7lb better off with Step back mate not 15lb.
    Yes ,you're right Danny 7lb not 15lb.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    Rolling Dylan e/way main bet and a small e/way on West Approach as he looks well handicapped on hurdles mark and may come good over fences one day?
    Seems like plenty agree on West Approach unless your small e/w was enough to move his price down to 6/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Well done talkischeap backers.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well done talkischeap backers.

Thanks
    And well done outsider with your place which I assume you got.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Outsider (27th April 2019)