On 10 April 1995, The Guardian carried a front-page report on Jonathan Aitken's dealings with leading Saudis.
The story was the result of a long investigation carried out by journalists from the newspaper and from Granada Television's World in Action programme.

Aitken called a press conference at the Conservative Party offices in Smith Square, London, at 5 p.m. that same day denouncing the claims and demanding that the World in Action documentary, which was due to be screened three hours later, withdraw them.

At the press conference, he went on to make a quote that would go on to haunt him:

"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted journalism in our country with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against falsehood and those who peddle it. My fight begins today. Thank you and good afternoon."

Aitken's libel case against The Guardian subsequently collapsed in June 1997 when The Guardian and Granada produced, via their counsel George Carman QC, evidence countering his claim that his wife, Lolicia Aitken, paid for the hotel stay at the Ritz Hotel in Paris.

The evidence consisted of airline vouchers and other documents showing that his wife had, in fact, been in Switzerland at the time when she had allegedly been at the Ritz in Paris.

The joint Guardian/Granada investigation indicated an arms deal scam involving Aitken's friend and business partner, the Lebanese businessman Mohammed Said Ayas, a close associate of Prince Mohammed of Saudi Arabia.

It was alleged that Aitken had been prepared to have his teenage daughter Victoria lie under oath to support his version of events, had the case continued

Roll forward to 2019, and we have a leak of information from the National Security Council

An investigation takes place, resulting in the Defence secretary, Gavin Williamson being publicly and brutally fired.

Williamson quickly releases a letter which included the following: "I strenuously deny that I was in any way involved in this leak and I am confident that a thorough and formal inquiry would have vindicated my position."

He then, in a Sky News interview, goes on to "swear on my children's lives" that he was not the source of the leak.

Oh dear, resorting to such tactics to defend yourself isn't really becoming of anyone, let alone a member of Her Majesty's government

Never trust the tories EVER!