Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Cup 2022

Thanks

Melbourne Cup 2022

Loft is seemingly out, going by a recent AU news article.

It's interesting that Hoo Ya Mal moved to Gai Waterhouse, clearly with this race in mind (current odds around 14-1).

Gai will know what's needed (and have a good feeling for Hoo's prospects), given exploits with Fiorente some 8 or so years ago.

But you'd have to think that this might be a year too early (Fiorente did it on his second crack but was already 4 for his first go, so whatever happens this year, might pay to get on Hoo Ya early in 2023).

Going appears to be soft, with rain forecast but not torrential.

If it did turn heavy, there's another Waterhouse runner with a Group 1 heavy ground win over 2 miles already on the board this year - Knights Order at around 20-1 - a 7-year-old but clearly up to this level.

Extra info on going, quote in RP today from racecourse manager......

"Victoria has been hit with lots of rain over the past 48 hours and the ground has been described as heavy by Flemington racecourse manager Liam O'Keeffe, as they prepare for their showpiece event on Tuesday.

"The track has copped a lot of the rain and it has left us on a heavy eight this morning [Friday]. We've had 12.5mm of rainfall in the last 24 hours and on top of that we had 5mm fall earlier on Thursday morning," O'Keeffe said.

"There's a really lush covering of grass, the rail is back in its correct position and all is set up for a good day's racing - albeit rain affected. Today there is 2-3mm forecast which is set to clear through the night. If we can get a little bit of wind in the track, the best case scenario is we come up soft seven in the morning."
    Last edited by chaumi; 28th October 2022 at 12:36 PM. Reason: addition

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chaumi For This Useful Post:

Outsider (28th October 2022)

Thanks
    Can’t believe it’s Melbourne Cup again. I used to crawl into work shattered back in the day after staying awake all night listening to Radio Sport 927. I wish we had a race beloved of the whole country these days. It was always on my bucket list to go to it one day but can’t see it happening so I just have the radio on and pretend I’m there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

chaumi (28th October 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    Can’t believe it’s Melbourne Cup again. I used to crawl into work shattered back in the day after staying awake all night listening to Radio Sport 927. I wish we had a race beloved of the whole country these days. It was always on my bucket list to go to it one day but can’t see it happening so I just have the radio on and pretend I’m there.
    Goes quick, doesn't it? I remember being up for Fiorente's two, with the first being a particularly painful early, early rise. Still fun, though. At least, when you get a run. And partly made up for it next go, but nowhere near so attractive odds.

It would be something if Gai Waterhouse could do it again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I must admit I could never imagine myself waiting up through the night for a sporting event. I do recall Mrs O and I sitting up through the night to watch Torvill & Dean - when was that, 1984? - but seeing sense the next day and thinking, 'never again'.

I suppose maybe if someone very close ended up involved in an event at that time then I maybe would but a horse race? Again, I suppose if I worked in a yard and was close to a runner or someone who looked after a runner then it would be different too, but in the general scheme of things, I can't see me putting myself through a sleepless night for a sports event.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I’m a bit of a night owl anyway and I only used to work in the morning so I could could have an afternoon nap. I was babysitting for someone when Torvill and Dean won that gold medal so was awake anyway. It was the village pantomime party and as someone not involved with the pantomime I always used to babysit for people that had taken part. I followed Torvill and Dean because they were signing books in town one day and, from a distance I said to my children ‘ they’re going to win a gold medal’: Christopher Dean smiled at me and I was smitten! Pre internet I had the radio on when Persian Punch ran in the Melbourne Cup and it reminded me of listening to Radio Caroline under the bedcovers when I was a teenager. It’s become a ritual now. I love listening to them talk about precipitation and barrier draws and hearing adverts for Peter the Possum man.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

chaumi (28th October 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    I’m a bit of a night owl anyway and I only used to work in the morning so I could could have an afternoon nap. I was babysitting for someone when Torvill and Dean won that gold medal so was awake anyway. It was the village pantomime party and as someone not involved with the pantomime I always used to babysit for people that had taken part. I followed Torvill and Dean because they were signing books in town one day and, from a distance I said to my children ‘ they’re going to win a gold medal’: Christopher Dean smiled at me and I was smitten! Pre internet I had the radio on when Persian Punch ran in the Melbourne Cup and it reminded me of listening to Radio Caroline under the bedcovers when I was a teenager. It’s become a ritual now. I love listening to them talk about precipitation and barrier draws and hearing adverts for Peter the Possum man.

How are you at Eurovision??

Last edited by Desert Orchid; 28th October 2022 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cant resist a £1 ew on NUMERIAN at 50/1.
    Heavy ground isnt too much of a worry but the distance is a big worry.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

moehat (29th October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was there when Jezabeel beat Persian Punch, Faithful Son and Taufan's Melody in 1998 and get up without fail (so far) since to watch it.
    A truly wonderful occasion from the parade the day before through to the race.
    Put in on your bucket list everyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    I was there when Jezabeel beat Persian Punch, Faithful Son and Taufan's Melody in 1998 and get up without fail (so far) since to watch it.
    A truly wonderful occasion from the parade the day before through to the race.
    Put in on your bucket list everyone.
    What? Staying up to watch it.?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Watching Aussie racing today and they were discussing the race. At least they were discussing how far this favourite is going to win by.

My Aussie buddies come over to Thailand every year and we meet around 9am-10am in Sukhumvit 33 sports bar and run a sweep.

Funny story: One of the lads who's married in Oz has a long standing Thai girlfriend on the QT.

A few years ago we are watching the race and she has drawn Vow And Declare in our sweep and she is jumping up and down full of joy.

Just then my friends phone rings and he dashes into the street away from us to answer it.

He comes back face is ashen and says "No furkin way that was the wife she has just won the sweep in our local in Sydney"

Who says lightning can't strike twice

Anyway they have been on the phone and they have all backed Deauville Legend to a man.

I haven't been following it so I'll have myself a duece on it and hope they are right
    Last edited by Tanlic; 30th October 2022 at 10:59 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Watching Aussie racing today and they were discussing the race. At least they were discussing how far this favourite is going to win by.

My Aussie buddies come over to Thailand every year and we meet around 9am-10am in Sukhumvit 33 sports bar and run a sweep.

Funny story: One of the lads who's married in Oz has a long standing Thai girlfriend on the QT.

A few years ago we are watching the race and she has drawn Vow And Declare in our sweep and she is jumping up and down full of joy.

Just then my friends phone rings and he dashes into the street away from us to answer it.

He comes back face is ashen and says "No furkin way that was the wife she has just won the sweep in our local in Sydney"

Who says lightning can't strike twice

Anyway they have been on the phone and they have all backed Deauville Legend to a man.

I haven't been following it so I'll have myself a duece on it and hope they are right
    Yh Deauville I have followed pretty much all season from a handicap at Royal Ascot to his last win at York.

If I do have a bet I will be with him. I would like to see him justify favouritism.

So what exact time U.K time is this race due off on Tuesday?

I have a William Hill account and TV so should be able to watch it.
    Last edited by Marb; 30th October 2022 at 3:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    Yh Deauville I have followed pretty much all season from a handicap at Royal Ascot to his last win at York.

If I do have a bet I will be with him. I would like to see him justify favouratism.

So what exact time U.K time is this race due off on Tuesday?

I have a William Hill account and TV so should be able to watch it.
    4 AM Tuesday morning I see.
    Last edited by Marb; 30th October 2022 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    I assume it’s still on Radio 5 if the WHill connection goes down.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    4 AM Tuesday morning I see.
    Penny has just dropped why you guys don't watch Aussie racing.

Most meetings start around 9am here (Thailand) which is 1pm in Sydney.

So I'm kinda spoiled as I can watch Racing.com live first thing in the morning

Then in the evening I watch UK races from a round 7pm my time.

The Bars open earely for the Melbourne Cup which is run at 11am our time.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Penny has just dropped why you guys don't watch Aussie racing.

Most meetings start around 9am here (Thailand) which is 1pm in Sydney.

So I'm kinda spoiled as I can watch Racing.com live first thing in the morning

Then in the evening I watch UK races from a round 7pm my time.

The Bars open earely for the Melbourne Cup which is run at 11am our time.
    ..and if the UK races are on from around 7pm, then the US (for the double-handful+ to watch each year) will be around lunchtime or a bit earlier depending on East, West, Mountain.

Looks like Thailand is slap-bang in the perfect racing time zone!

Thanks
    I've taken 33/1 Interpretation. B365 are going 50s but it's win only with them. This one is top-rated on RPRs so there has to be a chance the price is wrong. It's been running over 12f or so lately but its top RPRs were gained over further and, as we know, Aussie horses are generally not strong stayers.

There's also an 80/1 shot in the top few ratings but it's by a miler and its best form is at a 12f and shorter so I'm reluctant to take the risk.

Won't be enough to tempt me to stay up and watch, though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chaumi View Post
    ..and if the UK races are on from around 7pm, then the US (for the double-handful+ to watch each year) will be around lunchtime or a bit earlier depending on East, West, Mountain.

Looks like Thailand is slap-bang in the perfect racing time zone!
    USA racing is on now and has been for a few hours.........it's now about 5.10am here at the moment, so it's the early hours for USA racing not the afternoon unfortunately
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what sort of coverage you will get locally in the UK of the Cup.

If it is very limited you could try racing.com which starts about 2-3 hours before the race.

I have no idea if you can log in from the uk. I use "Log in with Google" and one of my emails

Before you do update your browser if you haven't done so recently or it will come up with an ERR..

I use Google Chrome:- To update go top right click 3 dots click HELP About Google Chrome and it will update automatically.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Should be live on Betfair....

"For GB, Irish, UAE, Latin American and Australian horse racing, a minimum matched bet of GBP2 (or currency equivalent) must be placed on the relevant 'day of the race' market to qualify to watch that particular race."

And 365...

"To watch all UK, Irish and French racing, you must have a funded account or to have placed a bet in the last 24 hours. This also applies to Australian, South African and US Racing covered by At The Races.
    To watch any other racing, you must place a qualifying bet of at least £0.50 win or £0.25 Each-Way (or currency equivalent). This applies to single and multiple bet types. Minimum stakes apply to Tote and other pool betting."

Thanks
    It’s live on Sky Racing from 11PM tonight until about 6:30 AM tomorrow so a continous 7.5 Hours.

The cup is obviously due off at 4:00 AM GMT

I found it hard to believe the winner wouldn’t come from either Deauville Legend or Without a Fight and backed both a while ago win only but while I think DL will be fine on the ground I’m starting to think WAF may struggle to see the 2m out on really soft, despite the 2m test in this seemingly sharper than 2m races over here.

Arapaho will love the testing ground and he has a racing weight but stamina is a question mark, although he did see out the 1m5f well enough at Randwick LTO. Stall 19 isn’t ideal but not insurmountable so at 66/1 6 Places he’ll be my e/w selection.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 31st October 2022 at 7:59 AM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."