Thread: National in danger?

Thanks

National in danger?

If this needs moving to the national thread that’s fine.

Anyone think the race is in danger of being a past time very soon? Social media absolutely crawling with people wishing this race to be banned. Just type in Grand National on your twitter search bar and you’ll see. Never knew how many people wanted the race banning, calling it the biggest cruelty to animals they’ve seen.

A lot mentioning a protest next year, around various bookies, before meeting at Aintree. Even certain MPs are weighing in with their opinion, and following the huge mass calling for the race to be banned.

Don’t think we’ll see anymore than 5-6 more nationals, some real serious support is being gained for this race to be banned. If the politicians think they’ll gain some credit for it they’ll do anything.

Seriously worry, not just about this race, but National Hunt racing as a whole going forward. Especially in this PC world we live in, were we are getting people and celebrities identifying as a none gender. Ridiculous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    It is a worry especially as Social Media certainly fans the flames. (and I have to say I was fuming the Daily Fail instead of celebrating an historic win used the headlines "horse left dying in a tent!" These certainly don't help. But against that some 600m people watch it versus the Keyboard warriors who would be better off campaigning against puppy farms, tourists riding underweight horses in the Middle East etc. I think the Authorities though have got to take notice and act accordingly to guard the event.

As many of you know I hunt, and despite taking every precaution to hunt "within the law" i.e. follow a trail, many hunts are still targeted very aggressively by saboteurs who dress as terrorists fully balaclaved up and walk around the countryside in a menacing manner threatening riders and hunt followers. If you dressed in such a way(often they are brandishing weapons such a clubs) and walked down any High Street in a town in the UK you would be arrested within minutes and charged with threatening behaviour. But as its against us "toffs" it seemingly doesn't matter.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    The problem is how the industry reacts to the furore.

The grand national now is nothing like the race that made it so famous. That might be a good thing (Im not sure but I guess there were more in contention for longer in the race since the changes.) It's the classiest handicap in the calendar and wlwill continue to be so. The naysayers can naysay all they want but it doesn't seem to be denting the race's popularity - maybe defying a trend towards horse racing within society in general. Being frightened for the future of the race only feeds into the cycle. It was almost cancelled in 73 apparently. I can't see it going but it's loss for me is lessened by the fact that it has been relatively neutered already. Watching some horses hurdle Bechers made me sad that my son will not witness the thrill that I witnessed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Guess it will be interesting to see how the new BHA chairman responds. Except that she will be more interested in the Boat Race today....

Actually echoing the OP, I have just been on Facebook and the crass naiveity on there has left me needing a lie down. You can't begin to reason with these people. We force these horses to race and jump whipping them until they die. Oh and they are locked up in stables all their lives and never see daylight except when they are forced to go racing. My own horse loved going racing so much you literally let down the ramp of the lorry, opened his stable door and he loaded himself. Then stood there pawing the floor until we left.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Yeah. Don't worry about them or trying to get them to see the other side of the argument. Record attendances at Cheltenham and viewing figures on all three days on ITV well up year on year. Do everything the sport can for horse welfare, not because we are trying to please detractors, but because it's the best thing to do

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    Do everything the sport can for horse welfare, not because we are trying to please detractors, but because it's the best thing to do
    Spot on.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Avoiding fences needs to be addressed; the chicane the horses had to pass through with the first fence avoided was far too narrow.
    Luckily no jockey did anything stupid but it could have so so easily gone wrong.
    No doubt but racing will come under increasing pressure as we have posted on recently.

Thanks
    Reading the comments just now on a forum I used to be on makes me think the race will cease to be. However the gutter press etc will just then focus their attention on another race. All I can think these days when I watch the race is that no horses must die or be injured which is well nigh impossible. Thinking about Cheltenham it occurred to me that, if you put that number of horses in a huge field for 4 days you'd probably lose several from kicks/colic etc. I'm not going to reply on that forum as it is full of so much misinformation. I have to keep my love of racing hidden from many of my friends; I've lost too many through Brexit, can't afford to lose more...

Banned
    Thanks
    The National won't cease to exist in your lifetime Moe (nap)

Thanks
    Well, I am pretty old so that doesn't mean much !

Banned
    Thanks
    No need to worry about it then

I don't want to see the day when we start pandering to the likes of Animal Aid.