Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The British Countryside

Thanks
    I'm a confirmed townie - give me London any day - but I have been on holidays to the more rural areas of England over the last 10-15 years; just for a week at a time, you understand. The north Norfolk coast is fantastic. Hunstanton has a poor reputation as a seaside resort, but the views out to sea are magnificent. Suffolk's greenery is surprising. Kent is a but meh, but I did love North Yorkshire. Lincoln is not rural, but the cathedral in the city is a hidden gem.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Len Madeiros For This Useful Post:

granger (26th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Thanks all - apologies for my geographical ignorance but of all these beautiful country areas - which is the best airport to fly into for each
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Down here you’re well served by Exeter, Bristol and cheltenham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Glasgow or Edinburgh and hire a car for Scotland.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Never seen an airport in Cheltenham ? Do you mean Gloucester Airport at Staverton ? Name dropping alert Had a long chat with Nicky there one day while he was waiting for a private flight to Ireland.

Also Newquay airport is good for Cornwall if there is a connecting flight from Ireland.
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 26th March 2019 at 7:28 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Never seen an airport in Cheltenham ? Do you mean Gloucester Airport at Staverton ? Name dropping alert Had a long chat with Nicky there one day while he was waiting for a private flight to Ireland.

Also Newquay airport is good for Cornwall if there is a connecting flight from Ireland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    For the Yorkshire Dales it's Leeds/Bradford Airport. A few miles north and you're in Lower Wharfedale. Check out Ilkley, nice town and the Sue & Harvey Smith stable is nearby

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Gower is stunning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I'm sure you threw in a couple of those just to get a reaction Alun!
    Absolutely, and on balance I've been left disappointed
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    London City Airport, obvs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    PJ - on mature reflection. Turn right instead of left and drive to Connemara and Killary Harbour. Just spent four days at Delphi Lodge. Orgasmic scenery and hill walks.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

granger (27th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Absolutely, and on balance I've been left disappointed
    In the spirit in which it was meant, there are some lovely areas in both Warwickshire and Northamptonshire.

Warwickshire's Shakespeare country around Stratford Upon Avon is a must, as is Stratford Upon Avon itself. A quintessential slice of England that should be on anyone's list. All the better as it's only 35 minutes from Prestbury Park and all of the rolling Cotswolds Hills. The villages that straddle South Warwickshire and North Gloucestershire along the Fosse Way A429 from Princethorpe (just south of Rugby to Cirencester), are all well worth it too. It's a big tourist trap, and well worth doing. If you're prepared to go off the beaten track you'll find great pub lunches down single track roads just about everywhere.

To the east of the M1 between J17 and J20 Northamptonshire there is a veritable hotbed of Stately Homes, including Althorp House (Princess Diana's family home) which is along the A428 J18. It doens't matter which way you go in and you can take any road north or south and you're pretty much straight in to rolling hills, lakes, dams, rivers, and a hotbed of villages built from Northampton Stone. Plus the best measure of all, it has some of this country's finest traditional establishments serving some of the best real ales and quality food in the country. In fact North Northamptonshire has been a genuine surprise to me. The whole area is packed full of hidden gems.

Nottinghamshire however is definitely best avoided. Trolls on every road and bridge that even get on here!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Please note how it only took the Warwickhsire apologist a mere paragraph before he's been forced into trying to pinch the Cotswolds, because he knows that Nuneaton, Bedworth, and Atherstone are grim gravel pits. And let's be honest, Shakespeare country is really London, anymore that Stratford on Avon is a lorry park and distribution shed (not that Stratford really counts as countryside anyway).

As countryside goes, the Midlands is pretty uninspiring, albeit Derbyshire (well the north of the county at least) can stand on its own merit. Nottinghamshire has Sherwood Forest (well what's left of it - which isn't much), you might be able to make an argument for the Black Hills and the Wrekin I suppose. Shropshire certainly isn't a wash out either, but there's not a great deal to the Midlands. And before anyone screams the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire is technically speaking in the south west

In truth though Granger, ignore all these homie regional yokels speaking about their part of England. Cumbria is the genuine group 1 performer amongst the group 3 and listed runners. If I had to nominate an under-estimated county/ region, then it would probably be Northumbria and County Durham
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Warbler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's what you do, it's based on a wonderful trip I did a couple of years ago in a May heatwave.

Take the ferry to Holyhead and make your way to somewhere near Chester on 6th May. There are beautiful rural areas to the south of it and the racecourse is well worth a visit (best meeting is 7,8 and 9th May), even for those who insist on placing obstacles in front of their horses. Leave Chester on the 8th and head for the Lake District for a couple of days.

Head for Hexham and go racing there on the 11th. The drive is amazing if you go via Alston. I stayed once in a very nice B+B on a sheep farm near Hexham and the track is a great experience. Visit Durham cathedral and Lindisfarne and take the inland route to Endinburgh via Jedburgh and other such places. There's the most amazing view as you crest a hill and approach Edinburgh from the south. There's racing in Musselburgh and Perth that week and more beautiful scenery and herritage than you can imagine. Return to Holyhead via Bangor-on-Dee on the Saturday.

You will have a wonderful time.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

granger (28th March 2019), trudij (28th March 2019)

Thanks
    Grey's got a damn fine itinerary there, and his opening gambit allows you to take in Snowdonia too

If you've got a bit extra cash, you can always stay in the Port Meirion hotel, which must rank as one the quirkiest places in the UK.

"I will not be pushed, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Please note how it only took the Warwickhsire apologist a mere paragraph before he's been forced into trying to pinch the Cotswolds, because he knows that Nuneaton, Bedworth, and Atherstone are grim gravel pits. And let's be honest, Shakespeare country is really London, anymore that Stratford on Avon is a lorry park and distribution shed (not that Stratford really counts as countryside anyway).
    Very good

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Here's what you do, it's based on a wonderful trip I did a couple of years ago in a May heatwave.

Take the ferry to Holyhead and make your way to somewhere near Chester on 6th May. There are beautiful rural areas to the south of it and the racecourse is well worth a visit (best meeting is 7,8 and 9th May), even for those who insist on placing obstacles in front of their horses. Leave Chester on the 8th and head for the Lake District for a couple of days.

Head for Hexham and go racing there on the 11th. The drive is amazing if you go via Alston. I stayed once in a very nice B+B on a sheep farm near Hexham and the track is a great experience. Visit Durham cathedral and Lindisfarne and take the inland route to Endinburgh via Jedburgh and other such places. There's the most amazing view as you crest a hill and approach Edinburgh from the south. There's racing in Musselburgh and Perth that week and more beautiful scenery and herritage than you can imagine. Return to Holyhead via Bangor-on-Dee on the Saturday.

You will have a wonderful time.
    I'm liking this idea. Art has trumped us all.

Thanks
    I would make one tiny addition to Grey's itinerary. Travel from Perth to Bangor on Dee via killin - thus giving you a wee glimpse of the beautiful Highlands on the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Art has won the day - once he gets enough of Belgium, a rural tour company career beckons
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    I would make one tiny addition to Grey's itinerary. Travel from Perth to Bangor on Dee via killin - thus giving you a wee glimpse of the beautiful Highlands on the way.
    I'd stretch it a bit further suggest you could do a whole day round the Trossachs taking in Loch Katrine. I believe you can hire a bike at the pierhead and take SS Walter Scott to the other end and cycle back. You also have Loch Chon, Loch Arklet and the ominously named Loch Ard, plus the forest (forget its name)