Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Aintree 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The way front runners are performing all week Knocknanuss has to have a huge chance today.
    if he gets into the rhythm Mick Fitz always talks about.

Well said Maruco !
    Last edited by edgt; 6th April 2019 at 1:00 PM.

Thanks
    Lalor. New trainer or just not good enough anymore? That was woeful really, something must be wrong with him. Great run and ride on Ornua though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I'd step Lalor up in trip personally.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Ornua is useful

Seems like a horse if placed well, will win some nice races
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Great story with owner a scoop 6 winner.
    Hope for us all

Thanks
    Great run from Kildisart there. JLT form looking strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Great run from Kildisart there. JLT form looking strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remind me what won that again.....!

Thanks
    Another strike for ladies day at Aintree

https://twitter.com/hashtag/GrandNat...97358245527558
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

jinnyj (6th April 2019)

Thanks
    Be interesting to see what the Handicapper does with Min after Friday. He could quite easily rate him above Cyrname!

Thanks
    The older I get the better I was.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

tiggers1972 (8th April 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    "The Stewards held an enquiry adjourned from Aintree, 5 April 2019, into Harry Skelton,the rider of ARDLETHEN (IRE), placed eighth, appearing to ease his mount in the finalfurlong to be beaten a head for seventh place. After being interviewed and shownrecordings of the incident, Skelton explained that after the last hurdle, he felt the geldinghad little left to give, however was conscious that he was riding for seventh place, as hewas giving ground. Skelton added that in an endeavour to obtain the best possibleplacing, whilst being aware of ARDLETHEN (IRE)’s welfare, he allowed his mount tocoast home, with a view to a final push nearer the line. Skelton was cautioned andreminded of his responsibilities to always ride out to the line."

Declan Lavery would be interested in this bit....
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

edgt (9th April 2019), Outsider (9th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I've had a look through the form for the three days and my immediate conclusion is that a lot of the races fell apart but the handicappers appear to be taking the view that the form is meaningful and I wonder how many of the prominent finishers will substantiate their new marks.

The brother was on the phone to me yesterday or the day before asking what I made of the form and was expressing a similar opinion. He isn't a number-cruncher. I don't think I've ever heard him say 'X is N lbs better off for a y-length beating' or anything like that. He talks about how horses travel through races etc. So two different approaches are arriving at similar conclusions. (Which might be wrong, we know.)

My intention isn't to diss anything in particular, just to say what I'm seeing.

Clan Des Obeaux was in trouble at halfway so I'm struggling to get my head round Kemboy's new OR of 174. That said, I went low with the Gold Cup too.

Some of the ITV team were staining their pants at Lostintranslation's performance. Again, Topofthegame wasn't travelling from some way out. This wasn't anywhere near the same horse that won the RSA and we wondered whether this run was about getting his mark back down a bit ahead of the Hennessy. It hasn't worked yet as his mark remains. The close third was only rated 147.

I'm having difficulty getting away from the conclusion that Buveur D'Air is gone, at least in his head and/or heart.

Min was genuinely impressive but you have to wonder if Politologue and Hell's Kitchen were over the Champion Chase and Waiting Patiently looks like Ascot last year bottomed him.

One thing that did strike me was how much better Tizzard's horses ran compared with Cheltenham and maybe his will be the yard to follow in the big races in the coming weeks.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Yes think you are right re Tizzards horses. They look in much better shape than a few weeks ago. And don't forget after LiT beat Defi at Cheltenham, CT declared him to be the next big horse in the yard so i expected him to win at Aintree without Defi there. Topofthegame is a big raw boned horse who looks like he still has some maturing to do and as such is entitled struggle occasionally. You would hope he'll fill out his frame next season but sometimes they don't and thus don't progress as you expect them to.
    I heard the other day that Clan Des Obeaux is quirky at home and two weeks before his KG win was sailing over huge hedges (plus wire!!!) out hunting. That probably put him in a good place mentally and contributed to the improvement.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Disagree on Kemboy [DO] - I think he will easily be a 174+ animal. Clan Des Obeaux is the Paul Pogba of chasing - moody and disinterested prima donna. No yardstick, ever.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I don't have a problem with Kemboy becoming a 174 animal in time. I'm just not convinced the other day's performance merited that kind of figure.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    It's the natural extension of the King George form being overrated. They don't race very often these days so it's more difficult to get a reliable yardstick.

I think that Kemboy is in the correct position in the staying chaser ratings but the actual rating for all of them remains fairly subjective.

Thanks
    Min and Kemboy have been overrated. They enjoyed easy leads against dodgy opponents.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Late enough in the season also for horses primed for Festival three weeks previously so some bound to be over the top .
    Rating inflation abounds methinks.