Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jamie Codd

Thanks
    How close had you followed Hazel Hill's form to be so sure that Shantou Flyer would beat Ucello Conti in this race? My guess is you have, at most, seen one race. The punt on the horse was more knowledgeable than yours and your brother's judgement but of course conspiracies are everywhere. Ucello Conti is always overrated and anyone who saw him win at Thurles would know how poor he is. In fact, he ran just about to form with Coastal Tiep on his Navan run. Tell your brother to take it like a man.

Thanks
    Everything that happens in the race just confirms your judgement rather than accepting that you were wrong, overestimated some form and underestimated others.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Not sure on which thread I mentioned it before so will piggyback this one.

The best amateurs are like good pros but the lesser ones are serious penalties on a horse. Shantou Flyer with a decent jockey on it would have won the Foxhunters as easily as I'd anticipated. He wasn't helped by worse jockeys around him making things difficult but the difference in the way Maxwell presented the horse at his fences compared with Sam W-C on Road To Rome was stark.

If I'd backed Ucello Conti, which to me was the only danger, I'd have been disgusted at the ride he got. He looked a complete non-trier. I wonder if he's in the Topham.

As I've been typing the brother has been on the phone in a rage for the same reason.
    Pretty much how I saw it. Don't really want to go in on a amateur though. Lost half a length to a length every fence. Way he was riding I thought the horse was finished from about 4 out. Then stayed on up hill.

Also didn't want it to sound like pocket talk, especially when winning trainer is held in high regard.

Cht'bello has saved my festival. Thank God for yesterday and that horse. Tuesday really did me in, and bloody Walsh on Benie.

Thanks
    As it happens I backed Shantou Flyer at 14s ante post, and I understand that Maxwell is a 10lb penalty against the best. I did this knowing how poor the Irish form was and thought he would grind away. In hindsight, it would have been interesting if he took on Road to Rome at the top of the hill, but 99 times out of 100, Hazel Hill wins the race. By more than a small margin the best horse in the race, who had more class then the rest.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    Everything that happens in the race just confirms your judgement rather than accepting that you were wrong, overestimated some form and underestimated others.
    I can't agree with that, HW. Shantou Flyer went up to 157 for finishing second to Coo Star Sivola in last year's Ultima, at which time he was still improving. Hazel Hill came into the race rated just 139. That's not my estimation of the form. It's the official handicapper's.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Well, the horse that finished third to Shantou Flyer at Kelso is about to go in a Fakenham hunters chase - must be a lump on job - as if running to form would have been in the mix in last years Ultima by that thinking.

Actually, didnt Shantou finish 20+l behind Hazel Hill at Warwick
    Last edited by HawkWing; 15th March 2019 at 5:55 PM.

Thanks
    Well, the horse that finished third to Shantou Flyer at Kelso is about to go in a Fakenham hunters chase - must be a lump on job - as if running to form would have been in the mix in last years Ultima by that thinking.

Actually, didnt Shantou finish 20+l behind Hazel Hill at Warwick
    The key for me is working out which form to trust and which to distrust. I agree largely about UC. I've never liked him which was why I was happy to go large on Shantou Flyer. I wasn't dismissing HH (or RTR for that matter) but I just thought SF had so much in hand and had this targeted for some time that the jockey wouldn't make that much of a difference. I'll know in future!

Thanks
    Yep and rather than believing that your judgement of Hazel Hill was wrong, you were let down by the ride on Shantou Flyer, as your brother was by the non-trying Ucello Conti, Despite him running to his best of his Irish form this year, beating the same Irish hunters that he has done all year.

Thanks
    Yep and rather than believing that your judgement of Hazel Hill was wrong, you were let down by the ride on Shantou Flyer, as your brother was by the non-trying Ucello Conti, Despite him running to his best of his Irish form this year, beating the same Irish hunters that he has done all year.
    Crossed wires re the brother, HW. He followed me in on SF.

Thanks
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if it doesn't match your own.