Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Festival Handicaps 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

The Festival Handicaps 2019

Well first of all let's hope they take place but in the meantime you may like to consider this article.

Or not

https://theparaderingracing.com/2019...f-the-weights/

Thanks
    Firstly I don't know who's written this and the article itself is a year old but I think the concept is probably 10 years old. I remember 2 completely separate guys drawing similar conclusions a number of years ago. One touting the idea that it was getting harder and harder to sneak in plot jobs because complete and utter handbrake jobs weren't making the cut anymore. The other concluding lines along the class horses at the top were now starting to be favoured as weights got condensed.

For me I don't really think that information benefits a punter like myself who pays as close to zero attention to trends and stats as any punter could possibly take as I just think in general they are minging ! The great thing about things like this as as soon as an article like that sways a host of punters in one direction the value will be found in the other. Punters I've found in the main like people flock to an idea, the more and more you see the media pundits all start saying the same stuff. You get a punter like Simon Rowlands who to my mind is one of the most knowledgeable in the game, he used to talk speed figures, then everybody caught up, then he talked sectionals, everybody caught up in a few years time the media pundits will all be talking about a horses cadence and Simon Rowlands will be another stride ahead. Guys like him and the likes of Beyer and Mordin before him and there are plenty others of course plenty who can be innovators rather than regurgitators are the people worth listening to not to say they are always right of course but at least they are original.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (10th February 2019), Len Madeiros (10th February 2019), Outsider (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Entries for the Festival Handicaps published today

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=mc73dC5KBoI

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

archie (21st February 2019), edgt (21st February 2019), Ivantheterrible (21st February 2019), Marb (21st February 2019), Outsider (21st February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 973 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Entries for the Festival Handicaps published today

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=mc73dC5KBoI
    Thanks DG,that's going to keep me occupied for a few days.

Thanks
    Ive not gone through the rest of the entries yet as I am in work, was hoping to see Ch'tbello in the County and he has an entry. Ill dilute the rest of the race when I have time on Monday.

Thanks
    Kapcorse a big fancy of mine for the Pertemps. He's probably right on the cusp of getting in off 136 based on the last few years, but he's a proper horse and there's already juice in his hurdle mark compared to his mark over fences. . He needs to qualify first, but is in at Chepstow this weekend and is guaranteed a run.

He's 141 over fences and that's probably lenient given the ease in which he dispatched a decent field at Newbury, I'd say you could make a solid argument he's more of a 145 and that's not taking into account any further progression. No other entries bar the potato race which may be a clue in its own right.

Thanks
    On another note, cant seem to find a price for Ch'tbello in the county. Is it me being thick or do I need to request it?

Thanks
    I'm just happy to see Good Man Pat entered into the Close Bros but not the Ultima. Just have to hope he doesn't blow his mark in the Pendil now.

Campeador is entered in the novice handicap too (his only entry at the meeting) and he's of interest but I'm no longer sure whether he's as fairly treated as I think - and a winner in waiting of a big race - or whether he's become a cliff horse for me. His jumping has left a lot to be desired at times, both over hurdles and fences but if he could bring his best hurdles form to this race and stand up then he'd take some stopping and 20/1 NRNB with Skybet seems like a decent bet.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Marb (21st February 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    I'm just happy to see Good Man Pat entered into the Close Bros but not the Ultima. Just have to hope he doesn't blow his mark in the Pendil now.

Campeador is entered in the novice handicap too (his only entry at the meeting) and he's of interest but I'm no longer sure whether he's as fairly treated as I think - and a winner in waiting of a big race - or whether he's become a cliff horse for me. His jumping has left a lot to be desired at times, both over hurdles and fences but if he could bring his best hurdles form to this race and stand up then he'd take some stopping and 20/1 NRNB with Skybet seems like a decent bet.
    That's going to be an 'interesting' race I imagine if you've got one targeted at the novice handicap. Let Bags Groove roll out in front and try your best not to be in contention without picking up a ban if you're on Secret Investor or Capeland and be close enough to him without winning if you're below 140 to make sure you get in.
    Last edited by Bonjers; 21st February 2019 at 7:55 PM.

Thanks
    Probably in view of the entries being published today, I imagine the various markets will be changing. The handicaps have not been visible on Oddschecker for a while now but I notice the Ultima is now on site again but no idea how much the odds have changed. May be worth your while keeping your eyes open tonight.

Don't bet, only use it for ther AP competition so hope this isn't complete b*ll*cks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjers View Post
    That's going to be an 'interesting' race I imagine if you've got one targeted at the novice handicap. Let Bags Groove roll out in front and try your best not to be in contention without picking up a ban if you're on Secret Investor or Capeland and be close enough to him without winning if you're below 140 to make sure you get in.
    If Bags Groove is still 3/1 after decs (unlikely) I’ll be lumping on as he’s just about the only one who can’t ruin his mark. I’ve been bigging Good Man Pat up for ages and everything has gone to plan so far so just need a repeat of his run behind Mister Dino and I’m happy

Thanks
    If Bags Groove is still 3/1 after decs (unlikely) I’ll be lumping on as he’s just about the only one who can’t ruin his mark. I’ve been bigging Good Man Pat up for ages and everything has gone to plan so far so just need a repeat of his run behind Mister Dino and I’m happy
    Agreed. May pile in in any case as he'll be odds on otherwise I imagine.

Thanks
    I've been keeping a close eye too Lee.

Would a run 16 days before his Festival target not bother you? I can't imagine it would have been the plan to leave it this late to get his third run in. If he has an easy race there's also a chance he gets dropped a pound or two and doesn't get in, and there's a small chance 139 might not be enough anyway. And if he doesn't have an easy race then any Festival plans could be over this weekend anyway.

I've been hovering over the button for ages and now I can't bring myself to press it. I think because of his late start, the rush to get his mark, and that the Close Brothers will be his fourth race in nine weeks, the moment has passed for me.
    Last edited by Maruco; 22nd February 2019 at 9:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 2,734 Posts
    Not been following the thread closely so far but the 3/1 price caught my attention. Are we seriously discussing taking 3/1 now about a festival handicap?

It will be some time, probably the 5-day dec stage, before I think seriously about the handicaps but I did take 16/1 Glen Rocco for the Ultima a month or so back.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 22nd February 2019 at 9:57 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I've been keeping a close eye too Lee.

Would a run 16 days before his Festival target not bother you? I can't imagine it would have been the plan to leave it this late to get his third run in. If he has an easy race there's also a chance he gets dropped a pound or two and doesn't get in, and there's a small chance 139 might not be enough anyway. And if he doesn't have an easy race then any Festival plans could be over this weekend anyway.

I've been hovering over the button for ages and now I can't bring myself to press it. I think because of his late start, the rush to get his mark, and that the Close Brothers will be his fourth race in nine weeks, the moment has passed for me.
    They're fair concerns of course Paul but if the Close Bros is the target, and as the JLT seems a step too far I expect it is (Plumpton bonus etc.), then I wouldn't expect him to be 100% ready tomorrow or trying too hard. The way I see it is everything needs to go to plan for him to be able to run in the handicap, as you say, so the 20/1 NRNB with 888 was/is just too tempting.

Dessie - No, the 3/1 is about Bags Groove winning the Pendil tomorrow, in a race where it's questionable how hard the others will be trying given that he's rated 152 and the rest, while currently considerably lower, are entered in the Close Bros which has a ceiling of 145 so wouldn't want to get too close to Bags Groove.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 22nd February 2019 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am disappointed Tully East has no chase entry but will follow Speaker Connolly in which ever race he runs.

Thanks
    Dessie - No, the 3/1 is about Bags Groove winning the Pendil tomorrow, in a race where it's questionable how hard the others will be trying given that he's rated 152 and the rest, while currently considerably lower, are entered in the Close Bros which has a ceiling of 145 so wouldn't want to get too close to Bags Groove.
    Okaydokay. That does make 3/1 look tempting but I haven't started doing the form for tomorrow yet. (Don't know if I'll even get round to it at all.)

Thanks
    Just the four declared for the Pendil;

Bags Groove (phew) OR 153
    Good Man Pat OR 139
    Silent Investor OR 145
    Castafiore OR 139

Could be a case of "please, after you...". Bags Groove and Silent Investor fighting out the finish to push Silent Investor above the limit for the Close Bros (in which case he holds a JLT entry too) and Good Man Pat a quietly ridden 10 lengths back in third will do me nicely.

Thanks
    Followed you in with Bags Groove so happy to see him among the 4. Hopefully will run better than in the Feltham at this grade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I've just noticed Glen Rocco runs tomorrow in the big Kempton handicap.

Pause for thought...