Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so excited

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm so excited

At my age you wouldnt think heltenham would have that effect still,but it does.
    Why am I so excited about losing money,you have to think like that,I think,and if I make a profit so be it.
    When I worked I used to say I dont care if I lost a grand as I didnt go on holiday so that money saved went on Cheltenham.a week that gives me more enjoyment than a week on a beach somewhere.
    Luck is needed and the hope of picking the right one as in many races there are multiple fancies running.
    I'm not really into short prices and I love handicaps.
    It was good to see NOTWHATIAM number 24 in the pertemps which means he will get a run.
    If I can have 1 winner I'd like it to be him.at least I got the value as he is now as low as 16s.
    I really wish trainers would decide which races they are going to run in.horses that are down to run in 4 or even 5 races is a joke imo,dont they know what there best trip is.
    I think I will have to wait until Tuesday dinner time before I have a good idea what races different ones will run 8n.
    I've done BOUVERIEL at 33s for the grand annual,but see he is still declared for the Browns so I've done him for that race33s nrnb makes it possible.hes 3lb lower this year where he got BD in the grand annual when trained by Nicholls and could have got in under the radar.JP still owns it and trained by Ben Haslam.this was a horse I thought would win a mackeson but never ran..
    I've got a good stock of sertraline and some funds from San berdenito last week,so I'm ready.
    Bring it on.
    Last edited by Outsider; 8th March 2019 at 5:38 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th March 2019), trudij (8th March 2019)

Thanks
    You're not alone. My 'thing' for Cheltenham is to have the same mate round for the week for the past 20 years. The missus takes it off too. We spend all week drinking, gambling and fine dining at night.

My favourite week of the year. I started with the booze on wed past this year - I reckon it'll be 140 pints this year.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th March 2019), Outsider (8th March 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I used to think Persian War day and night as a kid and couldn't wait for the Festival...The Kauto Denman era was insomnia at it's worse and couldn't sleep before Binocular's Champion Hurdle and counted the minutes between Sprinter Sacre's QMCC wins but tbh

Can't say there's any one race I am looking forward to in the same way but The CH and the GC are well above average races
    Last edited by Tanlic; 8th March 2019 at 6:20 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    While it is still a week to look forward to and enjoy it doesn't quite do it for me to that extent.

I will get a mild flutter in the belly as they walk towards the tape ahead of the Supreme but that's about it really, regardless of how much I have on what in which race*.

A couple of years back the brothers and I took turns at hosting each other for a day but it didn't really work for me as I needed access to the computer to keep an eye on the markets and felt I was being a bit rude (yes, even to my understanding brothers) to do so in their house.

I'm actually a sad case who tends to prefer his own company for the week and this will probably be the last time I'll manage it as Mrs O plans to pack in working once and for all quite soon.

That all changes for the Grand National, though. I'm up early that day like it was Christmas morning and am very buzzy right through until the post-race lap of honour by whoever in the extended family has backed the winner. I tend to crash for a few days after that.

*After a little reflection, I admit I went a little bit mental for a while after RB won the Champion Hurdle but I think I can be forgiven for it.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It began for me in 1975 when my brother Mike, home sick from school asked me to place two bets for him; Comedy of Errors in Champion Hurdle and Ten Up in Gold Cup. Funnily enough I was the one to catch the racing bug.
    Ever since Festival week has meant mitching from school (primary/secondary and Uni); placing very modest bets , approx the same stake for the last 43 years (taking inflation into account) and since Raise The Beat 2011 attending at least two days .
    I remember 2014 walking up Bath Road to meet the lads in The Beehive, Monday evening at dusk, the shop fronts decorated with a Festival theme, the charity shops with all their racing goods on display and thinking the Garden Of Eden must have been like this.
    That same year Davy Russell, the forgotten man went from journeyman jockey driving a little rental car at 7am on his way to exercise Morning Assembly to Gold Cup hero within 48 hours.
    The early first day morning on course never fails to cause shivers on my spine as all dreams are still alive for everyone though they make themselves and their charges scarce before the WPM army swamp the racecourse gallops area, a sight to behold.
    Tir Na nOg as we say here , a spa town with a fountain of youth.
    " That's Cheltenham, heroes and hard luck cases,
    When you 're there at the races
    Only horses have long faces "
    to quote the great Brownie Guinan, The Bard Of Ferbane

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Carl (9th March 2019), Danny (12th March 2019), Desert Orchid (8th March 2019), Grasshopper (9th March 2019), Outsider (8th March 2019), Tout Seul (9th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    My experience of the Festival goes back to when I was in a pushchair and was wheeled there from Prestbury where we lived at the time. My Dad was then asked back as one of the vets during the 70s and 80s so he and Ma used to stay up with friends for the three days. Ma would have to take her horse and would ride over Cleeve Hill before breakfast every day. I used to compile a book of tips for her with strict instructions on what to back! When I moved to do my A levels at Cheltenham College (boys) I was given permission to attend one day which was unheard of then! The headmaster thought it useful to further my career!! (It was well known that I was intending to go into racing). After that I have gone whenever I could. When I had a trainers licence it was stupid not to make use of the metal badge. Nowadays I have a friend who gets free tickets so I am indebted to her.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

Carl (9th March 2019), Danny (12th March 2019), edgt (8th March 2019), Outsider (9th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    When I moved to do my A levels at Cheltenham College (boys) I was given permission to attend one day which was unheard of then! The headmaster thought it useful to further my career!! (It was well known that I was intending to go into racing).
    A truly enlightened man.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Everyone says I’m obsessed with Cheltenham. Rubbish!

By the way I took the butter out of the fridge earlier, it’s now good to soft, soft in places.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Beef or Salmon (11th March 2019), Danny (12th March 2019), Outsider (11th March 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Lmfao!!!!
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I've done the Mrs head in that much she's getting me tickets for next year, and she's even took the Thursday off work to watch the racing with me.

As for tomorrow, I have a booth booked at a local restaurant which will have a big telle in it and the racing on. My mate won a grand off a £5 fee bet last year. He's coming with, he doesn't like racing other than this festival. Hoping it'll catch him full time.

It's either going to be fillet steaks all week, or beans on toast. Either way, I love this week

Thanks
    I've always loved the week and have always had bets every day, but over the last 10 years a few mates and I have been involved in our own "Fantasy Festival" competition. Winner takes all, a tenner in, and we've grown from six of us to 20 of us this year, with the magnificent climax in the bookies next to the pub watching the Grand Annual (replaced by the Martin Pipe as the last race this year). So, that has spurred me on, and now I have a real pot to spend during the week on my selections for the compo. It's always nice to visit a pub too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Len Madeiros For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    I've always loved the week and have always had bets every day, but over the last 10 years a few mates and I have been involved in our own "Fantasy Festival" competition. Winner takes all, a tenner in, and we've grown from six of us to 20 of us this year, with the magnificent climax in the bookies next to the pub watching the Grand Annual (replaced by the Martin Pipe as the last race this year). So, that has spurred me on, and now I have a real pot to spend during the week on my selections for the compo. It's always nice to visit a pub too.
    Excellent!

Reminds me of Saturdays in our house when we were too young to bet. We called it the 'bobs competition' - everyone put a bob in the kitty and picked a horse in every televised race and you get points as per sp, ie a 3/1 winner was worth three points.

Highest total points takes the kitty.

I would advise that all selections are made in advance.

I was one 28 pts clear when my brother realised he'd forgotten to pick one in the last TV race, a big-field 2yo or 3yo maiden. He picked the rank outsider, L'Apache (trained by Bruce Hobbs or Harry Wragg, as I recall), and the bastert won at 33/1.

Thanks
    Yes, DO, the selections are made in advance before noon on each racing day, except the Friday when we all aim to meet in the pub together. Then the selections get messy, once we all get a handle on what we need to actually win the compo. One of my mates had £35 fantasy money left, which he placed on the gambled-on Savello in the Grand Annual (came in from 33/1 to 16/1 on the Friday in 2015?). He pipped the bloke who had led since the first day by about a fiver! Spawny twat! My mate had had 15 consecutive losers before the Grand Annual.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Everyone says I’m obsessed with Cheltenham. Rubbish!

By the way I took the butter out of the fridge earlier, it’s now good to soft, soft in places.

Thanks
    First time at the festival for me was Garrison Savannah’s Gold Cup in 1991. £20 on his nose at 16/1 got me hooked and I went to all 3 days (it was a 3 day festival then) throughout the 90s. We used to go to what’s now the Best Mate enclosure. In 2000 a couple of mates & I took turns hosting and went to watch the last couple in the bookies.

The Foot & Mouth year and moving jobs saw us go our separate ways but I’ve been lucky enough to be in hospitality for a day or two each year since 2007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I have to say that the idea of actually going fills me with dread - I really couldn't handle being in there with so many people at the one time. I can just about tolerate going to my work these days but 50,000 would just be too much.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Make that 70,000 on Friday

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    How long until it becomes 5 days?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I've just popped in to wish you guys all the best whether it's the owners who have runners, the guys who like the bets or just the people who love the occasion ( you may even be all three of those) . Unfortunately this year I'm not really going to be getting involved at all due to things away from racing taking their toll. Hopefully there will be better days ahead and I'll be lucky enough to see many more festivals for years to come.

Good luck guys.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Len Madeiros (12th March 2019), reet hard (12th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I've just popped in to wish you guys all the best whether it's the owners who have runners, the guys who like the bets or just the people who love the occasion ( you may even be all three of those) . Unfortunately this year I'm not really going to be getting involved at all due to things away from racing taking their toll. Hopefully there will be better days ahead and I'll be lucky enough to see many more festivals for years to come.

Good luck guys.
    All the best Danny. You’re a fantastic tipster and it’s a shame not to read your thoughts and tips for the meeting but personal stuff always comes first. Take care

30. The Following User Says Thank You to nickf88 For This Useful Post:

Danny (13th March 2019)