Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Champion Hurdle how will it be run?

Thanks

Champion Hurdle how will it be run?

Will apples jade go off in front? I know BD is a bridle horse. How will Laurina be raced?Some race for inrunning purposes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wilhelm For This Useful Post:

Tanlic (8th March 2019)

Thanks
    Anyone know how Laurina will be ridden?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm View Post
    Anyone know how Laurina will be ridden?
    4th on the rail as Ruby usually does if they think she has pace.

Thanks
    I don't know how she'll be ridden next week but the only time she's made the running in her career to date was at Sandown in a two-horse race.

Thanks

Global Citizen leads for a mile
    Then Apples Jade 2nd takes it up
    Buv sits 3rd
    Laurina 4th behind him

Buv skins them all after rounding the bend and stays on to win by 2L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kauto Abu; 7th March 2019 at 7:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    The mare wins (AJ) but Sharjaah is really the forgotten horse
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    The mare wins (AJ) but Sharjaah is really the forgotten horse
    Sharjah's the horse I'll be most interested in on day 1, steak for tea if it only places (and if it happened to win............ )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2017diary For This Useful Post:

Outsider (8th March 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Apple's Jade is going to have to make it or be right up there from the start but you need only watch her last race to realize this is no Champion Hurdle horse. She has been flattered no end by beating horses totally out of form
    Sh'ell either be in the lead or take it up 4 out but by 3 out the pack will be all around her and by 2 out the writing on the wall and she will fall way from there on in

Buvi and Laurina will be cruising and Brain Power(he's in fantstic form) will be clicking at their heels as they go towards the last.........oh **** battery just went dead on my crystal Ball..you can watch the rest on Tuesday
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    If everyone keeps saying that Sharjah is the forgotten horse in the race, can he be forgotten. It is not an unreasonable position to take that he would have as much chance as Bedrock in the race, and is priced accordingly. He shouldnt get near the top two in the market - I dread to think how far behind he would have been at the Dublin Racing FEstival trying to keep tabs on AJ, and you'd think that Ruby would be on him if he was ahead of Laurina in WPM's pecking order.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm View Post
    Will apples jade go off in front? I know BD is a bridle horse. How will Laurina be raced?Some race for inrunning purposes.

Buveur D’Air is no bridle horse.Just take a look
    at last years champion hurdle.Sick as two small hospitals and the worst going stick reading on any champion hurdle ran that I can find and he was headed by melon on the run in. Still battled back to win it because he wanted it. He’s got guts. Bridle horses don’t win Champion Hurdles. Look at Harchibald.

He’s plenty of stamina in there too. He’s a half brother to Punchestowns so he’ll be finding up that hill if he needs to.

There’s a perception out there that Apples Jade will make it a test of stamina. Brilliant, bring it on. Why do you think they sent out Charli Parcs like a hare on Coke last year. Buveur D’Air has plenty of stamina, the one time he stepped up past 2miles he easily won an Aintree Hurdle.

The weapon in the champs armor is that devastating turn of foot off a true gallop. He just used that too early in the xmas hurdle to get back into the race after the mistake 3 out. His stride sustain pattern graph on the other thread make that glaringly obvious. Apples Jade doesn’t quicken, she just sustains, freakishly mind you, her stride at the same pace. But Buveur D’Air can clearly operate at that pace and then quicken. Laurina is the unknown but she looks like she’ll sustain and lose too much ground in the air against proper 2m hurdlers.

Ye’ll all be kicking yourselves after this. 2/1 on a dual champion hurdle.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 8th March 2019 at 8:31 AM.

Thanks
    No question mark over stamina for me. I can see Kennedy doing the clock in his head approach and expect AJ at the top of the hill to have a 3/4 tank left. Raise gears coming down the hill and go for home all guns blazing from the second last. BDA I'd expect to be 3/4l or 1l down turning in, and make his effort. Whether he gets passed, I doubt. I think AJ wins going away (2l) up the hill. Whatever about BDA staying, the quicker they go, the better for AJ. Laurina will travel, and hope to go when the jets are applied, but not have the toe of the front two.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is the beauty here; three top horses with no connecting line of form.
    Add in Brain Power/Sharjah/ Verdana with enough Grade 1 form to give them a squeak .
    It will depend on how soft the going is; this could be the race of ages if all the pieces fit.
    One thing for sure ; if Buveur beats these there will be no crapping his credentials.

Thanks
    This devastating turn of foot is imaginary, and I cant think of any evidence of it. In BDA's best races, he hasnt shown it.

Thanks
    Buveur D’Air has literally been operating at 80% fitness all season. Henderson peaks them for March. The man knows better than anyone how to train Champion Hurdlers. He’s already trained a 3 time winner of the race.

After Newcastle they only schooled him once before Kempton. He’s already had three schools since Sandown. Apples Jade jumps out right and changed leads 10+ times for no apparent reason at Leopardstown. That’ll cost her. Laurina jumps too big. That’ll cost her.

Thanks
    If Mullins, Elliot or Henderson have the best horse, they will win 99% of the races. AJ, on this years performances, wins the last two champion hurdles. The amnesia of Kempton and the proximity of BDA to Verdana Blue, Melon and Mick Jazz is endearing. Even if Henderson has the best horse in his care, he has to give 7lbs to a mare who has performed better this year. Henderson was so adept at spotting these champion hurdlers that he sends them novice chasing and only changes after his better options get injured.

Thanks
    Yanworth, same ownership, was the 2/1f for BDA's first champion hurdle.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkWing For This Useful Post:

littlelad (8th March 2019)

Thanks
    I don’t know. Apples Jade has never raced against a proper 2miler. You can’t bring melon into it because he’s miles away from last years top form or the Supreme 2nd. She beat Supasunday last time out who realistically any proper 2miler would do similar to.

Supasunday has won two top 2 mile contests, all out to beat Faugheen at the inaugural Dublin Racing festival and then at Punchestown because Melon & Samcro decided to try their synchronised swimming routine.

It’s well documented how sick BVD was after last years champion so the proximity of Mick Jazz doesn’t bother me. Elliott was of the same opinion and bullishly brought Samcro across only to be handed his arse by a 75% fit BVD.

You’ll see a complete different horse next Tuesday.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    If Mullins, Elliot or Henderson have the best horse, they will win 99% of the races. AJ, on this years performances, wins the last two champion hurdles. The amnesia of Kempton and the proximity of BDA to Verdana Blue, Melon and Mick Jazz is endearing. Even if Henderson has the best horse in his care, he has to give 7lbs to a mare who has performed better this year. Henderson was so adept at spotting these champion hurdlers that he sends them novice chasing and only changes after his better options get injured.

Exactly, go back through the threads on that race and you’ll see where he was touted as the wrong fav. He was a stayer and most here predicted he’d fall in a hole coming down the hill.

Don’t forget Apples Jade was beaten into 2nd by the 145 rated Midnight Tour at last years festival.

Thanks
    There is nothing to be gained by comparing BVD worst form vs AJs best or vice versa. Pointless game. I don't think anyone has suggested that Melon ran to similar form in Cheltenham and leopardstown but the pont is that BVA has never had to face as good a horse as AJ. Being a dual champ hurdler beating that lot is almost cheating. I don't think BVD, at his best, would have got within 6l of AJ at leopardstown and it's a question of whether it can be repeated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    There is nothing to be gained by comparing BVD worst form vs AJs best or vice versa. Pointless game. I don't think anyone has suggested that Melon ran to similar form in Cheltenham and leopardstown but the pont is that BVA has never had to face as good a horse as AJ. Being a dual champ hurdler beating that lot is almost cheating. I don't think BVD, at his best, would have got within 6l of AJ at leopardstown and it's a question of whether it can be repeated.
    #Rixies Ratings. You might trust them...