Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing cancelled

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Least of my worries right now DG. But, if it is the worst case scenario, what would happen with AP bets? Would they be losers? We can only all pray this has been dealt with quickly and efficiently.
    if there's no race all bets on said race would be void

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesRB For This Useful Post:

Double J (7th February 2019)

Thanks
    mildly positive update from the BHA

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/p...nfluenza-case/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Seems the BHA site might have crashed ? If you can't access it, this is the statement

Racing was shut down today as a precautionary measure to restrict the movement of thoroughbred race horses and prevent any further spread of the virus. This is a standard contingency in the event of an infectious disease affecting our horses. It was essential that racing be stood down today and controls on movements of horses be put in place in order to attempt to control the spread of the disease, and the decision was taken swiftly last night that this course of action should be taken, once the extent of the issue was known. The BHA consulted with its veterinary committee before making this decision.
    We will endeavour to issue regular information but we are still in the early stages of assessing the scale and severity of the outbreak. We are working quickly to identify the extent of the infection and will have more information when further test results are returned today. The results from those tests will not be known until this evening. Following these results being known a call will be convened to discuss the implications and a decision will then be made as to the impact on racing in the coming days.
    We are aware that people want to know the situation as regards racing tomorrow and this weekend and we will seek to provide more clarity as soon as we are able. It is likely that any definitive decisions on whether racing can take place tomorrow will be taken later this evening.
    We are contacting trainers of all yards which might conceivably have had contact with horses from the affected yard in order to advise them on biosecurity measures and to ask them not to move horses. We are also issuing guidance to the wider population of trainers. We are working closely with the National Trainers Federation to share this information and ensure that trainers are kept as informed as possible. Trainers are being sent a contact number should they have further questions, and they are advised to contact their vets with any further concerns.
    Anyone visiting a racing yard should exercise appropriate caution and check with a trainer before visiting, and trainers are advised to limit where possible the movement of people to and from their yard. There is a Code of Practice for dealing with infectious diseases on the website of the National Trainers Federation.
    All British race horses are vaccinated against equine influenza. However this strain has affected vaccinated horses. The disease may be serious in unvaccinated horses, although symptoms in vaccinated horses are usually mild and transient. Symptoms may include a raised temperature, a cough and nasal discharge. It is highly contagious. Humans are not at risk from the virus though can be transmitters of the virus.
    The situation here is not the same as the incident in Australia in 2007. Australian thoroughbreds are not vaccinated against influenza, while British thoroughbreds are, as the virus is endemic in the UK. Therefore an important barrier is in place to prevent the same situation occurring here. However, as we have seen in Europe, the virus has affected vaccinated horses in this case. The vaccine should however help reduce to a certain extent the effect and spread of the disease in thoroughbreds.
    This is a wider horse health issue which is not confined to horseracing. Unlike thoroughbreds, the wider horse population in Britain is not vaccinated against equine flu. Whilst the BHA is not specifically responsible for non-race-horses, the general advice to owners would be to contact your vet if you have concerns.

Thanks
    Decent update and only what you could expect at this early stage. Won't be as bad as the Australian outbreak by the sounds of it so that's positive.

I'd probably guess all meetings this weekend will be cancelled as a precaution though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Echoing people's thoughts about this being a worry at this time of year

Spare a thought for some breeders too at this time of year - restrictions on travel or horse contact will hamper them
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    RP doing a live blog during the day

https://www.racingpost.com/news/late...&utm_term=NULL

Thanks
    The IHRB have just announced that runners from Britain WILL NOT be permitted to race in Ireland until further notice. Racing in Ireland WILL continue

Thanks
    Wolverhampton have taken the decision to cancel their Saturday evening meeting of their own accord

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Wolverhampton have taken the decision to cancel their Saturday evening meeting of their own accord
    There were runners from affected yard there during the week so a deep clean has been ordered and no racing can take place for 4 days after.

Going through tomorrows card McCain has nothing declared for Bangor, a course he usually has several runners at. There are however Irish runners entered there. If racing were to go ahead it would be interesting to see if they take up the engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'm assuming all the PTP's would be affected this weekend too if no racing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    Good man Elliott. Now lets hope Davy Russell & any staff at Ayr yesterday had the nailbrush, tooth brush & toilet brush out scrubbing in the showers. Humans can as easily pass this on as horses & Russell rides at Thurles.

Don't worry the virus dies in less than an hour away from it's host. The biggest worry is the strain has infected vaccinated horses. All well and fine saying it doesn't affect them as badly but they spread the virus exactly the same as a very sick horse.

If ever you wanted a giant freeze to hit the country now's the time. Australia had 47,000 cases. I imagine because a virus survives and spreads faster in warm countries.
    Formely Fist of Fury

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Kauto Abu (7th February 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    I'm assuming all the PTP's would be affected this weekend too if no racing.
    They'll be at home downloading movies P2P if they have any sense
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I'd say that regardless of whether or not racing takes place over the weekend many trainers won't risk traveling their horses with the big spring festivals just around the corner.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember a story told in the Vet College about a student whose virology exam answer to Equine Influenza began " The virus is an infection that affects horses and causes racehorses to lose form and punters to lose money !"
    As he walked into his oral exam his lecturer informed him that his best chance of passing was to keep his mouth shut.
    He passed having followed instructions.
    The story did not concern me as there was a change in professor in that dept my year who was not a racing fan.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Outsider (7th February 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    I remember a story told in the Vet College about a student whose virology exam answer to Equine Influenza began " The virus is an infection that affects horses and causes racehorses to lose form and punters to lose money !"
    As he walked into his oral exam his lecturer informed him that his best chance of passing was to keep his mouth shut.
    He passed having followed instructions.
    The story did not concern me as there was a change in professor in that dept my year who was not a racing fan.
    If it results in loss of form then I'm suprised it was McCain's yard that housed the infected. I'd have thought Jonjo's yard must be riddled with it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Double J (7th February 2019), Marb (7th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hahaha oh dear.
    Last edited by Marb; 7th February 2019 at 2:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trudij View Post
    Bloody irresponsible of the yard IMO - they would have known they had sick horses and the vets had taken samples, what on Earth were they doing taking anything off the yard before they’d had the results?!

Hopefully the poorly ones are isolated now and being treated properly so it can get back to business as usual very soon.

The three Horses concerned never left the yard yesterday .

Thanks
    BREAKING: more than 100 yards, including those of leading trainers Paul Nicholls and Nicky Henderson, have been placed into lockdown by the BHA for testing following the outbreak of equine flu

The lockdown applies to British-based trainers who had runners at Ayr or Ludlow on Wednesday or Wolverhampton on Monday. They will have their entire string tested on Friday and no declarations will be accepted from the trainers until the all-clear is given

from the RP

almost no chance weekend racing goes ahead in the UK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jamie Osborne closed down

Thanks
    Just been announced that 13th Feb is earliest it will resume

25. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Outsider (7th February 2019)