Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekend weather

Thanks
    Prospects for jump racing in Britain for the rest of the week, including Saturday's big meetings at Sandown, Musselburgh and Wetherby, are in the balance as freezing temperatures and snow threaten considerable disruption to the turf programme.

Today's fixtures at Leicester and Plumpton were called off due to frozen ground, while morning inspections will decide the fate of tomorrow's cards at Wincanton and Fakenham.

The likelihood of Yorkshire tracks, Catterick and Wetherby, being able to fulfil their fixtures on Friday and Saturday, appear remote barring a dramatic change in the weather forecast, while Sandown and Musselburgh are also in some doubt.

Harriet Graham, clerk of the course at Musselburgh, which stages a valuable two-day meeting over the weekend, said: "Things aren't brilliant here. We're 50-50 to race on Saturday at best.

"We've had very low temperatures overnight, and frost has got in under the covers.

"I was much more optimistic about our chances yesterday."

Wetherby, due to stage the Grade 2 William Hill Towton Novices' Chase, couldn't have raced today.

Jonjo Sanderson said: "The average temperature last night was -4C. There are some crusty bits and some hard bits.

"It's 3C at the moment, but temperatures are forecast for drop dramatically and get down to -5C overnight into Thursday.

"The next temperature rise in 48 hours time might be a bit late for us."

Andrew Cooper, clerk of the course at Sandown, is more optimistic, but conceded that the better end of the forecasts would be needed to enable racing to take place.

"We're raceable today," he said. "We got 5mm of rain and sleet last night and it got down to -2C.

"We're expecting snow on Thursday afternoon into the evening, with up to 5cm. It is going to stay cold on Friday.

"We've got several forecasts. The best forecast or even the better end of the worst forecast would give us a hope.

"I would expect we'll end up making a decision on Saturday morning."

Catterick is currently "frozen in places". Clerk of the course Fiona Needham said: "It's a gloriously sunny day, but temperatures are due to plummet tonight.

"I expect we'll have an inspection tomorrow."

Chepstow is the other scheduled jumps meeting on Friday. Libby O'Flaherty said: "We've up to 5cm of snow forecast for Thursday into Friday.

"The snow turns to rain at 5am on Friday, and temperatures are due to reach 2C by 9am.

"It's a difficult one. Fingers are firmly crossed."

Wincanton's meeting tomorrow is also under threat from the expected snow with an inspection scheduled on the morning of racing for 8am, while frost is forecast at Leopardstown where the two-day Dublin Racing Festival is scheduled for the weekend.

Wincanton clerk of the course Barry Johnson said: "Snow is going to be the main issue for us but we will take each day as it comes. It seems bad weather is on the way but we will closely monitor the forecast."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I'm pretty sure for long enough after I started punting the Lincoln's official name was 'The Irish Sweeps Lincoln'.
    Indeed, the Lincoln, Grand National, Cambridgeshire were the original races, big field handicaps to maximise interest and exposure.
    Then in 1962 they sponsored the Irish Derby, trebling it in value to become the most valuable pot in Europe.
    1969 they introduced the Irish Sweeps hurdle Dec 27 for a Christmas draw/raffle, the race becoming a handicap in 1976 and changing to a January date in in early 1980s. Race Sponsorship ceased 1985 I think.
    Joe McGrath introduced racecourse commentary, photo finish and maybe head on camera to Irish racing ahead of UK after witnessing these in USA when selling tickets.
    (Effects of snow , apologies for rambling on.)

Thanks
    Knew nothing about all the shenanigans, now having gone into it a bit I’m amazed at the scale of fraud. Vast sums of money. Simply incredible!

Thanks
    It's amazing where talk about the weather can take you

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/a...-26237690.html

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

Carl (31st January 2019), edgt (30th January 2019), Outsider (31st January 2019), Perpetual (31st January 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Indeed, the Lincoln, Grand National, Cambridgeshire were the original races, big field handicaps to maximise interest and exposure.
    Then in 1962 they sponsored the Irish Derby, trebling it in value to become the most valuable pot in Europe.
    1969 they introduced the Irish Sweeps hurdle Dec 27 for a Christmas draw/raffle, the race becoming a handicap in 1976 and changing to a January date in in early 1980s. Race Sponsorship ceased 1985 I think.
    Joe McGrath introduced racecourse commentary, photo finish and maybe head on camera to Irish racing ahead of UK after witnessing these in USA when selling tickets.
    (Effects of snow , apologies for rambling on.)
    The first time I ever went to a Leopardstown jump meeting was the day Decent Fellow won it in 77. I still remember the cold. It had been won previously by the likes of Persian War, Night Nurse, Capn Christy and Comdey of Errors. Makes you nostalgic when you consider the equivalent race on Saturday has no English raiders, six entries (4 runners??) and two thirds of the field are Giggi.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Musselburgh to inspect this morning for Saturday’s card. Looks grim.

Thanks
    Not really related but it's still -4 at my gaff just now and I just wanted a moan about it.

Could be worse I suppose - I could be in North Dakota.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 31st January 2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Not really related but it's still -4 at my gaff just now and I just wanted a moan about it.

Could be worse I suppose - I could be in North Dakota.
    Indeed. One of our relatives lives in Flaxton, ND. Fortunately for her she bought a gaff in Arizona a couple of months back and is there at the moment, basking in tee-shirt-and-shorts weather. Or, as it's known up here, 'taps aff' weather.

Thanks
    Musselburgh 2 day meeting abandoned.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kauto Abu For This Useful Post:

Outsider (31st January 2019)

Thanks
    Sorry for silly question, what is the earliest does anyone think they will abandon Wetherby? Apologies for any one who wants a run there but I really don't want that drive on Saturday.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Indeed. One of our relatives lives in Flaxton, ND. Fortunately for her she bought a gaff in Arizona a couple of months back and is there at the moment, basking in tee-shirt-and-shorts weather. Or, as it's known up here, 'taps aff' weather.
    Your relation is known by the local natives as a 'snow bird.' Not many people know that.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Your relation is known by the local natives as a 'snow bird.' Not many people know that.
    I'll make sure she does!

It's a big change for her. Her late husband (who I'm pretty sure had Native American ancestry) loved the ND winters and often towed his portable cabin out on to the lake for pretty much the duration of the winter. He fished (with an 'f') through a hole in the floor and came home every other weekend to stock up on provisions.

Interesting fellow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Sorry for silly question, what is the earliest does anyone think they will abandon Wetherby? Apologies for any one who wants a run there but I really don't want that drive on Saturday.
    There’s an inspection at 8am in the morning GG.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'll make sure she does!

It's a big change for her. Her late husband (who I'm pretty sure had Native American ancestry) loved the ND winters and often towed his portable cabin out on to the lake for pretty much the duration of the winter. He fished (with an 'f') through a hole in the floor and came home every other weekend to stock up on provisions.

Interesting fellow.
    Now there is a man I would have enjoyed beer with. Vive le difference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    There’s an inspection at 8am in the morning GG.

Thank you. Was thinking I would have to set off Saturday morning with the possibility of having to turn round but would pratically be there before finding out it was off.
    Last edited by G-G; 31st January 2019 at 8:40 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Posted 2PM Thursday by the racecourse

**GOING UPDATE** There will be an inspection of the course at 8am on Friday 1st February to determine the prospects of the race meeting taking place on Sat 2nd Feb. Low of -6C last night has left the course frozen in places, with a further cold night ahead.
    Thank you. Really appreciate it. Only means I will have to go in next two weeks after anyway, but don't fancy heading north through snow Nothing against the North but an entry somewhere south of Warwick would be heaven!

Thanks
    ITV will show racing from Lingfield if either Wetherby or Sandown off but if they’re both off they’ll also explore options of showing either Chelmsford or Leopardstown.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

viking (1st February 2019)

Thanks
    Sandown looking more positive this morning. Not half as much snow as expected, melting already & no frost in ground.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kauto Abu For This Useful Post:

viking (1st February 2019)

Thanks
    Wetherby failed a morning inspection GG so no need to worry about traveling.