Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: There's an election coming..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    If corbyn doesn't react then i can see another twenty going,they will give him a couple of weeks if he's complicit with brexit you may see even more, balls in his court now has he ever compromised on anything,you wouldn'tb expect him too...The election will be imminent if he does nothing and a landslide..

Thanks
    Sometimes in politics, you have to play the long game, and this means adopting positions that are unpopular in their moment in the expectation that the mood will swing behind you over the longer temporal horizon and you'll benefit from it. Ironically Corbyn of all people, should know this. He's adopted plenty of unpopular positions and campaigns which history has largely vindicated him on. Brexit was crying out for exactly the same treatment, and since 63% of Labour voters, supported remain, he didn't have to perform somersaults to justify a position

When May screwed up the 2017 election (calling it was the right thing to do, calling a 7 week campaign was insane), but when she lost her majority the position we are in today was foreseeable. In fact it was very foreseeable. Corbyn should have announced a policy review in the summer of 2017 (not exactly unheard of in the wake of an election) and subtly shifted Labour onto a platform of a second referendum. He could have had this in place 12 months ago. He might have faced some criticism for being cynical and opportunistic for shifting onto a position of expedience, but he'd be in an incredibly strong position today had he done so

Even by as late as October last year he'd still have a stronger hand when the party conference adopted a very weak motion to keep the option on the table.

He's pretty much blown it now.

It probably ranks alongside Gordon Brown's decision not to call an early election in 2009 for political miscalculation.

Whereas Brown was playing with economic factors and greater uncertainty, Corbyn has failed to read a situation which was infinitely easier to work out, and which had a road map and timeline to help him navigate a path to victory. The reason he blew it of course is because his unofficial policy is to support Brexit but blame the Tories for the mess. He's calculated (incorrectly in my opinion) that he'll inherit from the fall-out. He won't. He'll be held to have been culpable

2017 was peak Corbyn. He did actually have a chance to advance beyond this highwater mark, but he's blown it
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Warbler For This Useful Post:

an capall (20th February 2019), Danny (20th February 2019), Len Madeiros (21st February 2019)

Thanks
    Another Blairite leaves,sigh back to some centreist party that no one wants and handed the torys another 10 years of ruining the country of course corbyns useless but they are equally as bad if not worse,chuka ummuna may as well join te torys just another Nick clegg,didn't stand for labour leader because of privacy but instead comes out and starts a new party and deliberately out to stop labour winning an election..You can't get much lower than that,what a vile individual and all because he couldn't push through the peoples vote,something i campaigned for what a lowlife character,thing with people like him history will just be repeated like clegg too cowardly to stay in the party and try and do somethnig about changing things... These lot are so deluded,torys must be laughing at them i bet they got a load of false promises off a few to join up as well what a load of mugs they are..sitting with the DUP today as well jesus unbelievable.

Have also taken 5/4 Labour to win Streatham from Chukka...
    Last edited by gigilo; 20th February 2019 at 1:14 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    sigh back to some centreist party that no one wants
    I think that this is exactly what the country wants - on both sides of the current political divide.

Thanks
    Think we've seen enough centreists partys for the last 40 years it makes no sense,just more of the same garbage think the times of some bland tory lite party has gone for middle class people to appease themselves has gone,this little motley crewe won;t last long what will probably happen is once corbyn leaves they will go back to the labour party once they have been shown up.
    I want to see something like a nationalised railway again,one simple policy like this will a centre ground party do this nope,just say too costly invest in more housing will a centre part to that nope,also tuition fees something has to be done about that will a centre party do something nope whats the point in having a party not doing things that are helpful to ordinary people..Those were good labour policys that peoplr voted for,to go back on those promises and end up back like they eere in the blair years just taking a step backwards again,its old backward politcs..
    But never mind lets vote tory again run by the right and getting even more rightwing we are even getting to the position where scum like Tommy robinson is in coherts with UKIP this is what we are heading for, people actually taking him seriously...Don't know why there is sio muxh focus on corbyn he's just an old man,he will only be around another couple of years same as that Mcdonnell to me they are completely irrelevant just as any prospective tory leaders they look equally as bad if not worse..
    Last edited by gigilo; 20th February 2019 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks
    Allen, Soubry and Wollaston have joined the Independent Group

That makes a 'party' of eleven MPs; all of whom I've actually got some time for: wonders will never cease

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    Allen, Soubry and Wollaston have joined the Independent Group

That makes a 'party' of eleven MPs; all of whom I've actually got some time for: wonders will never cease
    Will be nearer 20 when its finished and then they will go slinking back to party somewhere down the line for sure/good to see they used the phrase going to the right...Puts brexit back on the agenda again as well great stuff
    Last edited by gigilo; 20th February 2019 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    All we need now is for Sinn Fein to decide to take up their seats and wrest the balance of power thus reversing Brexit!
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    All we need now is for Sinn Fein to decide to take up their seats and wrest the balance of power thus reversing Brexit!
    Lets hope so

Thanks
    Soubry - I say!

She has been doing a lot of ranting for a while now so no surprise I suppose.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Virtually no chance of an election now-good news as well

Thanks
    Soubry on QT tonight.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
    Soubry on QT tonight.
    She is definitely a game old thing. NN interview was compelling. Conclusion: "May just doesn't seem to like the brown faced people."
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    She is definitely a game old thing. NN interview was compelling. Conclusion: "May just doesn't seem to like the brown faced people."
    Pulled out of QT last min by the sounds of it.

Thanks
    Is she bringing someone in from the cold? I mean, did you see Justine Greening scowling her way up Downing Street with a face like thunder?

Only because Soubry named checked her yesterday as someone who Theresa May had been cold shouldering for months was she finally given an audience

Doubtless she can be mollified. Theresa will work her charm and magnetic charisma on her

Thanks
    That lovely woman that wants less regulation on fracking on national parks is on,the one that describes people of a light tinge and the one that told people to vote for her because corbyn couldn't win the last election when she was knocking doors..Who needs enemys with friends like that,absolutely vile woman,the latter bit i bet she made up as well to fit in with new partys agenda,why was she ever in the labour party the politics of the centre,good luck with that...i expect the programme to be even more biased tonight as i said frim very dfirst episode bruce presented no doubt the editors been busy again

And have even managed to get probably the only black person that agreed with Liam neesons outburst John barnes ffs this is just a joke,plus i'm pretty sure if i recollect rightly a tory voter as well... just says it all...A slightly darker tinge for the fracker tonight..

They took off angela smith as well unbelievable..
    Last edited by gigilo; 22nd February 2019 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    John Barnes for prime minister haha.

Thanks
    Giving Liam neeson far to much credibility on the intelligent stakes,i said i wasn't going to watch it again absoluteky abysmal with bruce presenting it,i definitely won't watch it next week See this centre party weren'too popular tonight although i'm sure the middle classes will love them yawn till they realize what a complete and utter waste of time they are.
    Last edited by gigilo; 22nd February 2019 at 2:18 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't recollect Barnes saying what Neesom said was 'intelligent' but I take it you are being sarcastic... He (Barnes) has his own reasoning as to why Neesom did it. For what it's worth, I always admire that simple phrase, actions speak louder than words. Thenceforth, I personally believe, if Neesom had wanted revenge that much, he would have committed the act, as opposed to just 'thought or pondered' the act. Are you Black Gigolo? As if you're not, your opinion on Neesom would always sit slightly below someone like John Barnes, in terms of the weight it carries, in my view, at least.
    Last edited by Marb; 22nd February 2019 at 3:07 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    i said i wasn't going to watch it again
    That was always a non runner. You love our Brucey