Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gwid 2019

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Looking out from my office window in Clonskeagh at the pissing rain. NH racing this year might yet be salvaged.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Looking out from my office window in Clonskeagh at the pissing rain. NH racing this year might yet be salvaged.
    From George's Quay, the sun is shining
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Indeed it is now, but I'm one of Leo's people who gets up early in the morning...
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    6 am rise and shine

More importantly Envoi Allen will run at the DRF if the rain does materialise
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

5. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

viking (28th January 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    FWIW ref GWID. OMG rained all day Sat in SCD. Looking soft for GWID. TTYL.

Thanks
    "Monalee is in good form, but would not run if we have the same ground that we had at Leopardstown at Christmas. I'm looking forward to running him," said the trainer.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Latest going report

The ground is good to yielding (Hurdle/Bumper) & good (Chase). Mainly dry over coming days. Weather changing Thur with possibility of 10-20mm of rain which may turn to sleet or snow Remaining cold with daytime temps between 4 & 6 degrees & between 0 & -2 at night.

Thanks
    Be interesting to see the jockey arrangements for the Mullins horses in the Irish Gold Cup. David Mullins to ride Kemboy? Walsh to choose between ABP & Bellshill? Could be informative.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Be interesting to see the jockey arrangements for the Mullins horses in the Irish Gold Cup. David Mullins to ride Kemboy? Walsh to choose between ABP & Bellshill? Could be informative.
    Would say Mullins is a nap to keep ride on Kemboy

I like ABP a lot of the 3. Ruby broke a leg off him and Townend went awol. Not sure which of them will go for him

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Would say Mullins is a nap to keep ride on Kemboy

I like ABP a lot of the 3. Ruby broke a leg off him and Townend went awol. Not sure which of them will go for him
    Hoping for a big run from ABP. I'm on at 33's for the GC.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Latest going report

The ground is good to yielding (Hurdle/Bumper) & good (Chase). Mainly dry over coming days. Weather changing Thur with possibility of 10-20mm of rain which may turn to sleet or snow Remaining cold with daytime temps between 4 & 6 degrees & between 0 & -2 at night.

Raining quite steady now in Dublin and looks like its here until midday at least, a few hours of this I think will change the ground.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My office car park just now, about 2Km from the last jump at Leopardstown. There is still hope.

(That's about 1.2427 miles for you Brexiteers.)

rain.JPG

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

Outsider (30th January 2019), Perpetual (29th January 2019)

Thanks
    Waiting Patiently to skip this unfortunately, due to ground concerns and head for the Ascot Chase again instead.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kanturk white with snow; I do hope the Capital does not get it.

Thanks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

Outsider (30th January 2019)

Thanks
    Ruby's blog - I reckon he rides Min over Footpad

I believe there is more to come from Melon as I think he got tired approaching the last in the Ryanair Hurdle on his seasonal debut.He seems to have improved a lot since then, but he will have needed to as Apple’s Jade is going to be a tough nut to crack and I have been impressed with her this season.
    She will be stepping down in trip and two-mile races are run at a slightly faster pace, but she is a very, very good mare.
    If Melon can reproduce his run behind Buveur D’Air in the Champion Hurdle at the Festival last year, he will hopefully give Apple’s Jade a race.

Ladbrokes Dublin Chase:
    Min and Footpad are two top-class horses, and both seem to be in good form. I am not sure who I will ride yet, but I will be discussing it with Willie Mullins on Thursday.
    Footpad ran a good race behind Simply Ned at Leopardstown last time out where seemed to get a bit tired and Min produced a brilliant performance to win the John Durkan at Punchestown in December.
    Saint Calvados and Special Tiara are likely to set a good pace and it looks a good renewal this year.

_Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Novice Chase _:
    Voix Du Reve finished third behind Le Richebourg in the Racing Post Novice Chase at Leopardstown in December, so has a fair bit to find with that rival, but it was his first defeat over fences.
    He won nicely on his first two starts over the larger obstacles and I am sure Willie will be keen to let Voix Du Reve take his chance.

Tattersalls Ireland Spring juvenile Hurdle:
    Tiger Tap Tap was just denied by Sir Erec at Leopardstown in December and I think he will take on that rival once again on Sunday.
    You are always looking for an angle as to how a horse can reverse the form and I think Tiger Tap Tap will have improved for that run.
    Sir Erec had more experience on the flat than Tiger Tap Tap, thererfore was probably a bit more street-wise, so you would like to think there was more improvement to come from Willie’s horse.
    Surin just defeated Gardens Of Babylon at Fairyhouse this month and they are both likely to line up along with Chief Justice, so it looks set to be a cracking renewal and I think the Irish juveniles could be quite a high standard this season.

The run would probably come soon enough for Total Recall as it will be two weeks since he ran at Thurles.
    Al Boum Photo won the Listed Savills Chase in good style on New Year’s Day and Kemboyproduced a brilliant performance to win a Grade One at Leopardstown over Christmas.
    Bellshill was a Grade One winner last season and has improved since his run at Christmas as well, so all of Willie’s runners will be lining up on merit.
    It is going to be a tough call when deciding which one to ride as they are all in good order at home.
    The Irish Gold Cup always seems to be a good race and it is a stamina test as well. Kemboy would probably be the one to beat based on his performance at Christmas, but there are a number of horses who are likely to step up on their recent form.

t was a good performance from Invitation Only who jumped really well en route to victory in the Goffs Thyestes Handicap Chase at Gowran Park on Thursday.
    It takes a good horse to carry lots of weight in a big handicap and he travelled smoothly throughout the race before quickening up nicely before the second last.
    Alpha Des Obeaux - who finished second - is a top-notch horse in his own right and the Thyestes Chase is a high-class race and has been for a number of years.
    Invitation Only’s form had always tied in with the better novices last season - aside from Presenting Percy, who looked to be a step ahead of them – as he finished third in the Flogas Novice Chase at the Dublin Racing Festival behind Monalee and was not beaten far by Shattered Love and Al Boum Photo in the Ryanair Gold Cup Novice Chase at Fairyhouse.

Ballyward shaped as though the National Hunt Chase test at the Festival would suit when he won the Naas Racecourse Business Club Novice Chase on Sunday.
    He is a strong stayer and the further he goes in a race, the better it seems to suit him.
    Although he does not have as much experience compared to previous winners of the National Hunt Chase, he may have another run and we will get as much schooling into him as we can before March.
    His style of running suggests four miles will suit him and he was a good fourth in the Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle at the Festival last year where Santini and Ok Corral finished just in front of him, so he had strong form over hurdles and seems to have transferred that over to fences.
    Last edited by granger; 30th January 2019 at 2:35 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

hezz (31st January 2019)

Thanks
    Would Jacob get the Footpad ride if he so wished? Or would it Townend?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Would Jacob get the Footpad ride if he so wished? Or would it Townend?
    Interesting one - depends who is stronger on the decs day - the owners or the trainer

Thanks
    Decs for Saturday now 24 hours to allow extra time for study of weather forecasts.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Looking like Footpad won't be racing