Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gwid 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gwid 2019

Dublin Racing Festival is just three weeks away.
    Great interest with Supreme Racing forumites having a dress rehearsal for Festival 2019, the real one.
    Top level seats are sold out for both days but www.leopardstown.com have weekend tickets for 50 Euro, a saving of 20 euro if bought on the day for each day.
    It promises to be a weekend to remember; last year was a cracker, racing, rugby and social wise to the extent that Kiely's pub Donnybrook closed its' doors as a result of the late night revellers!

Looking forward to meeting the usual suspects and all newcomers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    I'm off to the Rugby on saturday but hope to make sunday
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    For those whop don't know GWID is Great Weekend in Drag so now we know about 2 members who go how about the rest of you?
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    The older I get the better I was.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

edgt (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    Johnny Sexton's drop goal in Paris last year is already one of the great "where were you when it happened?" moments in Irish sport. The members bar in Leopardstown had to endure my leaping about as if released from an electric chair.

As Eddie says, the whole weekend was a cracker, including great racing attended by people who were there to gaze at horses rather than each other.

Thanks
    The horse is a far better looking specimen than some of us Art
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Went to DRF last year, and enjoyed the brief catch-up I had with Eddie, PJ, Colm (Ireland’s handsomest man) Pat and Arthur.......apologies if I missed anyone, but the Friday was a bit heavy.

I’m back again at month-end, and it would be just smashing to see everyone again.

As for the DRF, it’s the best two days racing outside the Cheltenham Festival by an absolute street, and kudos to Leopardstown for having the foresight to put it on. Heartily recommended.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 10th January 2019 at 9:34 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

granger (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is one meeting I'd love to attend. Probably as part of a holiday to Ireland. In 2020 I will plan for it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    The horse is a far better looking specimen than some of us Art
    You speak for most of us, except for Mr Capall of course.

Thanks
    I'm there both days so hopefully catch up with a few of you

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Funny b*stards!

I will be there both days, but may leave early if I can procure a ticket for the rugby. (Hint is there Granger.) This of course might entail a departure before the holy bumper which would be the biggest moral dilemma known to me to me since I left Penelope Cruz pining for me under Clery's clock back in '97.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Funny b*stards!

I will be there both days, but may leave early if I can procure a ticket for the rugby. (Hint is there Granger.) This of course might entail a departure before the holy bumper which would be the biggest moral dilemma known to me to me since I left Penelope Cruz pining for me under Clery's clock back in '97.

I had to go on a blind date to acquire this ticket - and i wish i was blind for it

Thanks
    May as well make this the DRF thread

The champion hurdle race looks potentially brilliant

Willie aiming to send his top 3 and Apple's Jade is taking it in

Thanks
    I never imagined saying this, but we could do with a serious bit of rain about a week before the meeting. Could someone arrange that please?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Looking out from my office window in Clonskeagh at a bright sunny day. We're fecked for NH racing this year.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I never imagined saying this, but we could do with a serious bit of rain about a week before the meeting. Could someone arrange that please?
    The cold weather forecast (frost this morning) won't help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post

Willie aiming to send his top 3 and Apple's Jade is taking it in
    Is Sharjah an intended runner? I had thought the word was he'll go straight to Cheltenham?
    I'm pretty sure that was Willie's post race comment at xmas. Although...…… It's Willie

Thanks
    Some bits from yesterday's launch

Apple's Jade (BHP Insurance Irish Champion Hurdle)
    She'll do a bit of work next Tuesday and, if all goes well, she'll definitely run in the Irish Champion Hurdle. We'll probably run Farclas and Tombstone too. It's a big ask but we've nothing to lose. If it doesn't work then so be it. She's more than likely to go for the Mares' Hurdle at Cheltenham but she'll have an entry in the Champion Hurdle. However, I'd say it's very doubtful she'll run there

Battleoverdoyen (Nathaniel Lacy & Partners Solicitors Novice Hurdle)
    He didn't get to the track last season as he had niggling problems and just kept growing, but this season he's done everything right. He only won his bumper in late November and has gone on to win a Grade 1 in early January, so he's done very well in a short space of time. He's a good horse. He jumps and stays and is a real chaser in the making. I think the two miles six furlongs at Leopardstown will suit him even better than the two and a half miles at Naas.
    Commander Of Fleet (Nathaniel Lacy & Partners Solicitors Novice Hurdle)
    The Royal Bond is only over two miles and he'll definitely be better over further. The step up in trip will suit him very well and he wasn't beaten at all far in the Royal Bond.
    Delta Work (Flogas Novice Chase)
    He never wins by too far. He didn't even win his beginners' chase at Down Royal by much. He does only what he has to – you never know what is under the bonnet. He's done very well fences and it is all systems go for Leopardstown

Mengli Khan (Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Novice Chase)
    A good few of mine ran below par over Christmas and he was one of them – he never travelled at all. He was odds-on at one stage in the build up to the Grade 1 Racing Post Novice Chase over Christmas, and now he is 10-1 or 12-1 for this one. He's a Flat-bred horse and they can always be a bit hot and cold over fences. He seems to be back in very good form at home. Duca De Thaix will run here too. He's improving fast.
    Vision D'honneur (Chanelle Pharma Novice Hurdle)
    Felix Desjy won a Grade 2 on the same day as Vision D'honneur won a maiden hurdle at Punchestown but, I think going forward, Vision D'honneur would be the pick of them and will definitely run in the Chanelle Pharma Novice Hurdle at Leopardstown. I thought he'd win on his debut, he finished fourth and the first three home all had runs over hurdles under their belts. Our lad was green and jumped a bit high but he ran well and was beaten only a few lengths. He's improved an awful lot from that and Jack [Kennedy] even said he thought he'd learn a lot from Punchestown the other day. He's a smart horse.
    Joseph O'Brien on...

Le Richebourg (Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Novice Chase)
    I was a little bit surprised with how easily he won over Christmas but we always thought he'd be a better chaser than hurdler. He seemed to love the drop back to two miles on good ground. He's been in good form since and goes to Leopardstown with a favourite's chance. He'd be fine on yielding ground but seems to love good ground.

Sir Erec (Tattersalls Ireland Spring Juvenile Hurdle)
    He jumped well enough at Leopardstown but will have to jump better going forward. There was strong word for the second [Tiger Tap Tap] and Sir Erec toughed it out well. He'll have to step forward again as it will be a more competitive race, but hopefully he's capable of doing so.
    Jessica Harrington on...

Supasundae (BHP Insurance Irish Champion Hurdle)
    He's very stuffy and hard to get fit. In a true run race I think he'll run very well in the Irish Champion Hurdle, which he won last year. Looking ahead to Cheltenham, if the ground is on the soft side he'll go for the Champion Hurdle, but he might go back to the Stayers' Hurdle again if the ground was good.

Henry de Bromhead on...

Chris's Dream (Flogas Novice Chase)
    He'll either run in the Flogas at Leopardstown or a novice chase at Naas. The ground was too quick for him over Christmas. I was delighted with the way he won at Navan and he's a nice horse.

Monalee (Unibet Irish Gold Cup)
    I did always think he was an out-an-out three-miler but at this stage I'm not so sure. We'll give three miles another go in the Irish Gold Cup and see how that goes. I think he deserves another shot at it.

Paloma Blue (Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Novice Chase)
    He always takes a few runs each season to come good and is an intended runner in the Irish Arkle. We're working on his jumping all the time and his jumping is much better now. He's working really well at home too.
    Noel Meade on...

Valdieu (Chanelle Pharma Novice Hurdle)
    I know he was beaten in a few bumpers before he won one but we always thought he was a very nice horse. He's been victorious in his last two now and I thought he won very well at Naas. It's a big step up into a Grade 1 but we like him and he's improving all the time.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (17th January 2019), edgt (17th January 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hezz View Post
    Is Sharjah an intended runner? I had thought the word was he'll go straight to Cheltenham?
    I'm pretty sure that was Willie's post race comment at xmas. Although...…… It's Willie
    It's probably folly to know with certainty but i'd say we will def see 2 of the 3 and the mare seems a lock in