Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Away from racing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That's a very strange interpretation of his work giggs imo.

Disappointed you didn't mention he sounds like Kermit the frog
    He's as mad as a box of frogs,his thoughts belong in 50s america with these marxist conspiracy theorys even calls Trump a liberal coining in 80,000 a month donations as well, the stupid mans smart person(not having dig at you danny),like robinson feeding on the back of the populist movement,which will inevitably turn full circle in the near future and these people will be seen as leeches as they are..
    Last edited by gigilo; 29th December 2018 at 2:22 AM.

Thanks
    I thought about this and I don't normally respond when its very clear someone has made there mind up on a particular subject and as such I'm not trying to argue the case to persuade you giggs. I do feel though when I've sort of said I've learned a lot form this guy and then you've more or less labelled him a far right loon then the thought might cross peoples minds that, that's what I'm pushing here. I certainly haven't interpreted any of his work in that manner perhaps I've misunderstood things along the way as joking aside I'm not the brightest spark and just to write a piece that's readable for people is an effort and I have to be fairly careful in how I put this across so that I'm not misunderstood. When i say I'm not very well educated that's fairly true, when it comes to politics that would certainly be my weakest subject by someway. If you'd have said to me 12 months ago are you left or right I'd have probably replied that I was orthodox back in the day but could hit equally hard with either, more likely these days I could talk about my hips and say well the left is better than the right but I'll probably have to have them both replaced . Yes, I sort of heard people talk about left and right in politics but I had no idea what either was.

From everything I've seen Peterson isn't on the right or the left he's straight down the middle. I think he has started to battle against the far left on the basis that its very clear when the right has gone too far, its not so apparent when the Left have overstepped the mark. I think his main points are equal opportunities are a great thing. I agree. Equality of outcomes is an impossibility without taking away free will. I agree. There should be hierarchy's of competence i.e not getting positions based on gender, race or anything else just who's the best person for the role without that being classed as some sort of discrimination. Completely agree . If the top 20 mechanics are men then they should hold the top 20 jobs as mechanics not lets have 10 women mechanics and 10 men mechanics to make it fair, oh and a % of black, disabled, single mother, oriental, gay and transexual mechanics just to make sure we didn't offend anybody when we handed out the jobs. Which seems to be sensible way to run things by all means if the top 20 mechanics were all transexual, oriental, single mothers then by all means they should hold the top 20 roles.

I think no-one could really argue with most of his thoughts regards living a meaningful life basically sorting yourself out and helping others is a pretty hard view to tarnish. Small incremental improvements is also a decent structure for doing so.

The stupid mans smart man ? Well to me the guy is fairly smart to approach the subjects he approaches with as many people as he has trying to trip him up that takes some very careful wording one step out of place and they would hang him out to dry. I think a more apt description would be troubled mans, smart man. Depending on what background you are from ...I'm struggling to find words to explain it.

O.k so I go to the gym the other morning in an attempt to keep the Christmas podge at bay the girl behind the counter said to the few of us who stood there "you're mad you lot you should be in bed". To which I replied well it beats cracking open a can of tramp juice and sparking up a spliff at 7 in the morning. Oh yes the madness of starting your day with half hours worth of exercise !! Well I used to perhaps do the former on a regular basis and that was more the norm I can't ever recall someone saying to me that's mad that is. In fact it was more like a badge of honour the earlier in the day you started. It was also a really bad thing and looked down upon to show anything that passed for a level of intelligence. The only things that counted were drinking, drugs, fighting and doing anything for a laugh which basically entailed being an idiot. Some people may watch something like Jeremy Kyle and wonder where they find these people...I don't, I literally grew up around them. Actually one of my neighbour's from where I used to live ended up on there " mad dog deon" although I think he nicknamed himself "mad dog" we always just knew him as "daft deon" (you can check him out on you tube it might help you grasp the concept). When you spend your early life surrounded by these people most of whom never really get off the estate then its very difficult to see another way even if you know that way of life is wrong, most people just accept that's how life is and settle for it. I managed to find a way out of it myself but it wasn't easy. I found having a family gave me something to be better for, a reason to push through and do whatever it took no matter how hard to make life better for my little girl.

When I listen to Peterson talk about men picking up some responsibility, stopping doing all the things you know you shouldn't be doing and start doing things you know you should it resonates with me as that's pretty much how things panned out for me although I wasn't really conscious of it happening. At first progress was very slow and really hard but after a while things really started to come together and right about now things have really started to take off. A lot of the people I used to hang around with are still doing the same old drinking, drugs, bits of jail time in a endless cycle of just getting through the day with no real purpose in life. Now to some this walk of life might seem very strange if you were fortunate enough to have a decent upbringing, advice from parents who were half way decent or at least decent examples of how to conduct yourself in the world but that's not everyone, just pause for a moment and figure how life might have panned out for you if good old "mad dog " was your father and believe me when I say he's by far not the worst he's just a daft kid. I personally feel that there are a lot of people who could benefit from being shown that it is more than possible to turn things around just one small step at a time.

I thought I'd done a pretty good job as a father myself but it appears I've completely cocked it up as well and Peterson has actually shed some light on where I went wrong. See my thinking was I came from nothing no advice, no guidance, no help, and had to do everything for myself. So my immediate reaction to parenting was to make sure my daughter had everything, to do as much as possible for her and give her every opportunity I could in life the result of which was to end up with an 18 year old who can't do anything for herself, feels she's entitled to have everything without doing anything for it, pretty much just a spoiled brat haha. Joking aside though she's not a wrong un by any means and bit by bit I'm trying to reverse the process. Petersons advice of course is never do anything for a child that they can do for themselves and if I had my parenting time again I'd of thought that would be very sound advice to guide myself with.

to be cont...
    Last edited by Danny; 29th December 2018 at 7:08 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (29th December 2018), Len Madeiros (30th December 2018), Outsider (30th December 2018)

Thanks
    I meant to continue with this but having started my new job I'm working slightly more hours for a while but the biggest set back has been getting a full nights sleep. Having lived on 3 hours sleep a day through the week for the last 13 years whilst on the night shift I've suddenly realised that whilst a full nights sleep every night has made me feel about 10 years younger, eradicated what had become a constant brain fog and just generally reminded me what is is to feel like a normal human being again....I've also realised I've lost 5 hours a day Monday to Friday. I'm no Carol Vorderman but I'm sure that's around 20 hours per week I've lost which would probably equate to the time I spent nosing through the form books. So at least in the short term whilst I adapt I won't be around much and won't be doing much on the punting side of things. The longer term is certainly to be reducing my working hours as much as possible and basically topping up my living with the punting but that's realistically at least 12 months down the line hopefully though I'll still be able to be taking a interest before then but until I've settled into some sort of new routine it might just be bits and dabs from me for a while.

That aside the new job is certainly going well, I didn't really realise how much pain I've been in until it disappeared not aching everyday is taking a bit of getting used to. Its certainly been worth taking the drop in money. Thus far I have no regrets..well apart from it reducing my free time for form study to zero
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Beef or Salmon (14th January 2019)

Thanks
    Good for you, Danny, you've done the right thing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

Danny (15th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    The time for the form will come.

Most of the rest of us work(ed in my case) daytimes and find the time somewhere but it depends on how serious about it you want to be.

Even now that I'm retired I only spend a couple of hours on a Wednesday logging up the weekend form and looking for significant time performances, then a few hours on a Thursday (Flat) or Friday (NH) getting into Saturday's TV races.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (15th January 2019)