Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racing Heartbreaks

Thanks
    Many Clouds for me. Had rushed up to the walkway to cheer him into the paddock and he just didn’t appear. Wife in floods and I must have had some dust in my eyes too when we heard the sad news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to viking For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    A lot of the ones already mentioned hit the spot I think I'd certainly share the betting heartbreak of Sunnyhill boy but I think we're talking more about those special moments in sport.

Moscow flyers tingle creek made my spine tingle.

But probably one that hasn't gotten a mention that I found really emotional was Hardy Eustaces Champion Hurdles. The first one especially as completely unfancied and with what had happened to young Kieran Kelly the year previous, with winning his first festival race on Hardy to being critically injured just a few months later for me nothing typifies the ups and the downs of this game like that. I suppose it's also ties in with the magic and the stories of the festival each year. Horses that spring back to life in that incredible atmosphere and remind us just how wonderful the champions of our sport can be.

When Hardy went back and did what he did not once but twice I just raised a glass and said rest in peace lad.
    Last edited by Danny; 12th December 2018 at 10:45 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Emotionally for me it has to be Dawn Runs Gold Cup , Financially without doubt it was Annie Power falling at the last, feck I am away to get the tissues again when I think how much that cost me

Thanks
    I had a great soft spot for George Washington, as did his trainer.

I remember Eddie and me watching on at the Curragh the day he ran in the Railway Stakes and he refused to go through the arch between the pre-parade ring and the parade ring proper. Aidan and his staff tried everything bar naked coercion to persuade him but he just wouldn't. George's view of the situation was allowed to prevail and they had to take him out onto the track and bring him into the parade ring from there. Afterwards he refused to leave the winners enclosure, but in the race itself he was outstanding. He did something similar at Newmarket after winning the 2000 Gns.

It was terrible to see George break down in that Breeders Cup race, he was a brilliant racehorse with a personality to boot. Aidan was clearly very fond of him. His view was there was no point getting into an argument with George as long as he was doing it on the track, which he most certainly did.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (13th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forgot to include the day Tied Cottage lost the 1980 Gold Cup on contaminated feed grounds.
    Bad enough that he had fallen the year before at the last, only to blitz the field the following year.
    That both owner and trainer were dead within months made it all the worse.
    Then to see him for the next three years line up for 2 Gold Cups and Foxhunters, ears pricked , trained to the minute , knowing every blade of grass on the chase track and running his heart out (even when loose in 1981) reminds me of the Duracell Bunny.
    Quel cheval !!

Thanks
    2nd fence in the 07 Champion Chase.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankel For This Useful Post:

granger (14th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Forgot to include the day Tied Cottage lost the 1980 Gold Cup on contaminated feed grounds.
    Bad enough that he had fallen the year before at the last, only to blitz the field the following year.
    That both owner and trainer were dead within months made it all the worse.
    Then to see him for the next three years line up for 2 Gold Cups and Foxhunters, ears pricked , trained to the minute , knowing every blade of grass on the chase track and running his heart out (even when loose in 1981) reminds me of the Duracell Bunny.
    Quel cheval !!
    Eddie, you have a book in you! Memoirs of a racing historian
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done