Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Someone post up the entries please
    https://www.racingpost.com/racecards...8-12-15/716197

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    My early figures:

CASPIAN CAVIAR GOLD CUP HANDICAP CHASE (GRADE 3) (Class 1) (4yo+) Winner £74,035 18 runners 2m4f127y Good To Soft ITV4

No. Form Horse Stats Days Age Weight Trainer OR MON
    (178+)
    Notes RPR
    16 6800-3 Foxtail Hill CD bf 49 9 9-13 Nigel Twiston-Davies 137 186 e d L 171
    13 P82-5P Splash Of Ginge CD 28 10 10-1 Nigel Twiston-Davies 139 182 ? v 175
    15 07-43U Romain De Senam D 28 6 9-13 Paul Nicholls 137 182 ? +? p? L 175
    3 1U12-B Rather Be D 28 7 10-11 Nicky Henderson 149 182 ? 170
    4 4438-4 Top Gamble D 14 10 10-8 Kerry Lee 146 181 ++ t
    {190}
    17 U68-23 Guitar Pete CD 28 8 9-13 Nicky Richards 137 (180) L 172
    1 350-12 Frodon CD 28 6 11-12 Paul Nicholls 164 179 177
    2 122/21 Baron Alco C D 28 7 11-0 Gary Moore 152 178 p 171
    12 12/4-0 Gardefort D 21 9 10-2 Venetia Williams 140 [177] + 172
    7 6131-1 Mr Medic D 22 7 10-5 Robert Walford 143 177 p P? 171
    6 2-4914 Cobra De Mai D 22 6 10-5 Dan Skelton 143 176 ? p 171
    8 23414- Cepage D 241 6 10-5 Venetia Williams 143 176 + p? 169
    10 1F33-U Full Glass 21 5 10-4 Alan King 142 175 + +? 169
    14 7189-U Casse Tete D 22 6 10-0 Gary Moore 138 174 174
    5 4222-1 War Sound D 35 9 10-8 Philip Hobbs 146 174 +p 170
    9 21F-22 Casablanca Mix D bf 37 6 10-5 Nicky Henderson 143 173 ? +p 173
    11 421-1F Catamaran Du Seuil D bf 7 6 10-4 Dr Richard Newland 142 171 +p 172
    18 46-111 Marienstar D 24 7 9-9 Neil King 133 171 +p L 170
    *L – long handicap
    Illegitimi non carborundum

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th December 2018), Tout Seul (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Rather Be must go close if Frodon runs and the weights stay as is (I assume they go up if he is pulled out)

Nicky Richards has Guitar Pete tuned up for what has always been the plan. Ran better than expected last time and should at least reverse places with Baron Alco at the revised weights

Top Gamble promises but very seldom delivers

War Sound has been along time coming but he looked the part at Aintree and looks a snip off 146

Frodon will have to be tougher than the Man of Steel to win after the Mackeson efforts..can't possibly back him I would advice a place lay on him

Of the Nigel Twiston-Davies pair Foxtail Hill looks best in on paper but in reality he probably is 4lbs too high

I can't work out Mr Medic. He raced off 134 and was handicapped to dead heat with the 142 rated Flying Angel

He proves the handicapper wrong by 3lbs beating Flying Angel by 3 lengths,

But he raises Mr Medic to 143 so if they met tomorrow Flying Angel would be 9lbs better off for 3 lengths.

Just goes to prove what you beat means SFA it what you win.

He's actually been put up from 124 to 143 a massive 19lbs in 2 races which may be a tad too much to ask.

MY 123

War Sound

Guitar Pete

Rather Be
    Formely Fist of Fury

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Marb (11th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    War Sound is the selection then Tanlic. It's interesting, I had my eye on him as well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That's it!!!!! I am changing my mind
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    David Ord · Columnist
    12:06 · December 11, 2018 · 5 min read

David Ord has a horse-by-horse guide to Saturday's Caspian Caviar Gold Cup and tips at 25/1 and 16/1.
    Recommended bets:

1pt each-way Top Gamble at 25/1 (1/4 1,2,3,4)

1pt each-way Full Glass at 16/1 (1/4 1,2,3,4)

FRODON: Tough, genuine and a credit to connections, he produced a career-best to chase home Baron Alco under top weight in the BetVictor Gold Cup. He’s three pounds better off for a two lengths beating with that rival but his own mark continues to creep up and he’s vulnerable to potential improvers down below.

BARON ALCO: May have had the run of the race last time but hard to fault his effort, racing and jumping with enthusiasm and finding plenty from the last. He’s sure to give another good account despite a six-pound hike.

RATHER BE: Runner-up in the Close Brothers at the Festival and tanking along when brought down four out in the BetVictor. Clearly there was still a long way to go but he appeals as a progressive and well handicapped young chaser from the champion trainer’s yard. Clearly a fair few boxes ticked but already short enough in the market.

TOP GAMBLE: Looked like he needed the run on his Newbury reappearance on the first of the month and is one to consider from a mark three pounds lower than the one he finished third in the Grand Annual from. Stays this far and will handle whatever going the weather throws up. Has course form to his name too, so must be a player.

WAR SOUND: Impressive reappearance win at Aintree confirmed all of last season's promise, when he proved frustratingly hard to win with. Clearly respected but the handicapper didn’t miss him post-Liverpool, and ten pounds more in a warmer race might mean he’s up against it.

CASABLANCA MIX: Stablemate of Rather Be and talented performer in her own right but unproven in this big-field handicap scenario and while she didn’t stay the extended three miles at Market Rasen last time, she is five pounds higher than when beaten by Copain De Classe on her Kempton reappearance.

CEPAGE: Useful performer who picked up a valuable pot at Kempton in March and ran well here on his final start of last campaign. Fitness has to be taken on trust for his reappearance here though and a tendency to make mistakes is always a worry in this company.

COBRA DE MAI: Somehow finished fourth at Ascot last time having looked laboured and almost tailing off at one stage and won previous start at Stratford. In very good hands but will need a slicker round of jumping to stay in touch with these.

MR MEDIC: Off for 11 months before winning at Ascot last time where he characteristically travelled and fenced well. Needs to back that up and more from a nine pounds higher mark in this better race.

CATAMARAN DU SEUIL: Impressive at Wetherby on his return and warrants a crack at a race of this nature but fell at the sixth in the Grand Sefton at Aintree last week which is hardly the ideal preparation.

FULL GLASS: Plenty of promise in only two starts in Britain, third in a warm Ayr handicap in the spring and unseating four out when running well in a graduation chase at Haydock. Held in high regard and looks handicapped to go very close if he gets his ground – and heavy rain is forecast to hit before racing on Friday. If it does he shoots up the shortlist on the pick of his form in France.

GARDEFORT: Seemingly isn’t the easiest to keep right and while runner-up spot in the Grand Annual shows his talent, a fence-shuddering 11th on his Ascot reappearance highlights his fragility too. Needs to be at his very best and produce a clear round, neither of which are easy to guarantee.

SPLASH OF GINGE: Another one that’s hard to predict although far more bad days than good ones since winning last year’s BetVictor, including when pulling up in this season’s renewal.

CASSE TETE: Represents the Baron Alco team and feasibly handicapped, five pounds higher than when winning well at Warwick last season, but unseated at Ascot last time and his overall profile isn’t convincing.

FOXTAIL HILL: Well backed to take advantage of a plummeting handicap mark and win the race at the November meeting he landed in 2017 – but had to settle for third behind Modus. It was a fair return but not one he’s guaranteed to progress from.

GUITAR PETE: Last year's winner who got going too late when creditable third behind Baron Alco at the last meeting. A pound out of the handicap if Frodon runs but should be on the premises again.

ROMAIN DE SENAM: Unseated at the first in the BetVictor and while ten pounds better off with War Sound for their run at Aintree, he has 25 lengths to make up. Trained by Paul Nicholls which is the main thing he has going for him.

MARIENSTAR: Completed a hat-trick at Warwick last time and clearly thriving right now but is now 24 pounds higher than when the winning run started and in a much better race. Throw in the fact she's likely to be five pounds out of the handicap and it's time to look elsewhere.
    VERDICT:

It's easy to make a case for Rather Be but he's already 10/3 and Baron Alco and Frodon must be considered after their BetVictor heroics. Last year's winner Guitar Pete will also be on the promises but TOP GAMBLE should take a significant step forward from his Newbury reappearance. If he does he's handicapped to do some serious damage and makes plenty of appeal at 25/1.

So does FULL GLASS, who remains completely unexposed in this country. His run at Ayr last season suggests he's on a mark he can win a good pot from, and if the forecast rain arrives Friday night and through race day, then his chance increases. A saver is suggested at 16s.

Hope David does not mind me putting this up here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    I could fancy those two at those prices but not before Saturday morning. The bookies appear to be giving very little away, certainly with the front six or seven.

I reckon by Saturday morning it will be at least 4/1 the field and the outsiders will be on offer at 40s or 50s.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 11th December 2018 at 8:38 PM.

Thanks
    This is from at the races website.

A fantastic handicap for punters as 26 of the last 32 winners could be found in the first four in the betting, though surprisingly given that stat, just one favourite has won since 1996.

Five of the last 13 winners posted a top-five finish in the BetVictor Gold Cup. Do not restrict yourself to a top-five finisher from that handicap a month earlier though as the last two Caspian Caviar Gold Cup winners, Frodon and Guitar Pete, could only finish tenth and ninth respectively before winning here. It should be stated though that last season’s BetVictor Gold Cup runner-up, Starchitect, was all set up to romp home here before breaking down fatally when galloping towards the final fence when in a clear lead.

A FANTASTIC HANDICAP FOR PUNTERS AS 26 OF THE LAST 32 WINNERS COULD BE FOUND IN THE FIRST FOUR IN THE BETTING, THOUGH SURPRISINGLY GIVEN THAT STAT, JUST ONE FAVOURITE HAS WON SINCE 1996.

Not unsurprisingly given that this valuable handicap attracts many of the principals that contested the BetVictor Gold Cup being run over the same track (albeit this time on the New Course) over a trip only half a furlong longer in distance, three horses (Pegwell Bay, Senor El Betrutti and Exotic Dancer) have completed the double in the same season. Five other horses have won both races but in different seasons since 1983. The 2004 winner, Monkerhostin, had finished third in the BetVictor Gold Cup the previous month therefore becoming the first Caspian Caviar Gold Cup winner to improve on a place position in the BetVictor during the same season since Addington Boy (also third) in 1996. Since then, Poquelin and Quantitativeeasing have also placed in the BetVictor (both finished second) before winning this handicap. Walkon and Colour Squadron finished placed in both races in 2012 and 2013 respectively and Buywise finished second and fourth in both races three years ago.

Younger horses have dominated of late, in fact there has been no winner aged over eight since 1993 and novices have won three of the last six runnings via Unioniste, Double Ross and Frodon, two of which were Paul Nicholls-trained, French-bred four-year-olds. There has been no winner aged ten or more since 1974 and only two have made the frame in over 20 years so they can confidently be overlooked.

Like so many of Cheltenham’s leading handicap chases, previous win-or-placed form at the course has been an important factor. Only the Irish-trained Go Roger Go and Niceonefrankie in a race that fell apart from half-way have bucked this trend since 1992 so make your first port of call a horse that has proven it can handle Cheltenham's undulations.

As with the BetVictor Gold Cup, the major southern yards have proven very hard to beat here winning 15 of the last 18 renewals with Paul Nicholls successful on four occasions and Nicky Henderson taking the prize three times, all with second-season chasers.

French-breds have a tremendous record in chase races up to and including 2m5f at the Cheltenham Festival (notably the Plate which is the equivalent race at that meeting) and it doesn’t end there as they have won nine of the last 16 runnings of this 2m5f handicap chase.

At a glance summary
    POSITIVES
    The front four in the betting
    A top-five finish in the BetVictor Gold Cup
    Horses officially rated 145+
    Trained by a powerful Southern-based stable (notably Nicky Henderson or Paul Nicholls)
    Novices
    French-breds
    NEGATIVES
    Yet to post a win-or-placed effort at Cheltenham
    Aged 9+

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    There has been no winner aged ten or more since 1974 and only two have made the frame in over 20 years so they can confidently be overlooked.
    Wasn't there a similar stat about Hennessy (Ladbrokes) winners? Until Sizing Tennessee hacked up? And Top Gamble could easily emulate him.

Stats like this are entirely misleading.

It's a bit like saying I would make a good Santa because of my age and shape.

What all these winners had in common - as did Sizing Tennessee - is that they were handicapped to win the race. As is Top Gamble.

Stats are no more than contrived, convenient coincidences.

A litany of cons, you might say.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 11th December 2018 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Agree 100% DO. Stats are there to be broken and every race imo has it's own unique circumstances. As it goes when you said your figures were bearing up better than your bets this week I actually thought you were going down the same path again as you'd failed to mention Top Gamble. Previously when doing 2 and a half miles he's been on heavy ground well his last few attempts anyhow. Better ground might just help him see the trip out and hes
    been given a chance by the handicapper. 25/1 with laddies ( which usually boosts to 28's ) is probably worth a shot. Although he is doubley declared so just bear that in mind. I think you can ignore his last run as he's been awful first time up the last few seasons and in truth his effort wasn't bad I'm comparison to those.
    Last edited by Danny; 11th December 2018 at 11:23 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post

Nicky Richards has Guitar Pete tuned up for what has always been the plan. Ran better than expected last time and should at least reverse places with Baron Alco
    Could you please inform him that he's made the wrong plan...the plan should preferably have National in the title and if he could squeeze the word Scottish into the plan also that would be absolutely pukka !

Having given this some thought tonight I've come to the conclusion if the ground remains decent my first 4

1st Baron Alco
    2nd Top Gamble
    3rd Rather be
    4th Romain de Senam

I'll try and add some reasoning if I get time.
    Last edited by Danny; 12th December 2018 at 5:16 AM.

Thanks
    Those four would be among the group I'm considering but it is such a tight race I could imagine someone putting up another four and me thinking the same about them!

Baron Alco certainly cannot be ruled out. He was impressive the last time and might have improved again. Top Gamble is simply chucked in (I'll flesh out that carcass later). I meant to say, in my table of ratings, Rather Be is rated as notionally having dead-heated for second behind Baron Alco. If people think he'd have dead-heated with or beaten BA on the day they should adjust his rating upwards. He was certainly going as well as anything but you never really know with the hill. Romain De Senam will definitely carry sickness insurance. I've had it very well handicapped for a while and I'm sure it has one of these big Saturday handicaps with its name on it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm totally ignoring Top Gamble Danny. I waited all last season for him to hit Top Form and despite drastic drop in the weights he still cant win one. I really think there's a mental problem there and he doesn't want it enough
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Yeah that's fair enough mate I've had 2 small interests thus far one on him at 28's e/w and one on the nut of Romain de Senam at 25's if both lining up that'll be more than a fair price for them but not without their drawbacks. Top Gamble you may well have him spot on mate I just think he might be a little caught between trips and as said when he's run over the 2m5f at Cheltenham last season on Heavy ground against Ballyhill he's really just faded from the last. He's better handicapped here and hopefully this trip on better ground might just see him last home. Romain De Senam on the other hand is certainly handicapped to be on the premises however not just through the fall last time but his jumping isn't the best. I'd wonder if a bit of headgear might help I'd also be tempted if I was Nicholls to deploy a claimer or as he's a pound out of the handicap pull Frodon out and then deploy a claimer for RDS.

With your War sound the problem I'd have is he was a bit useless last year and he certainly didn't look all that good at Cheltenham albeit in a hot race. If we were to say that the 3rd and 4th from Aintree were being readied for other days Warriors Tale ( won the Sefton ) RDS was lined up for the Bet victor although that went tits up at the first then War Sound as impressive as he looked beat Kings Odessy 6L. A few things we'd know about that one. He's seemed obviously held in Cheltenham handicaps, a couple of well beaten thirds last year of of similar marks attest to that. He also hasn't ever really run much of a race first time up. Add to that next time out, when he should of stripped a bit fitter he was being very well beaten by Aso + 1 other when he fell at the last so he hasn't really franked the form. All that into consideration and a 10lb rise for smacking him doesn't seem to fair to me and to ask a 9yo to find another chunk of improvement from there seems a hard task, I could be wrong I suppose as he visually looked really good and perhaps better ground then when he was last at Cheltenham would help his cause as he certainly seems to have speed but overall he's a lot on his plate. I'd agree on your thoughts of Mr medic a 9lb whack for beating Flying angel should be enough.

Baron Alco on the other hand gets a 6lb rise for winning the Bet Victor. O.k my initial reaction probably the same as most, perhaps through the pocket as were we all on something we thought would have won if it hadn't of fell ? RDS at the first ? Rather be brought down, Happy Diva was going well, Kings socks still in with a shout when coming to grief ?. Firstly its a very big assumption that any of those travelling well off what wasn't a break neck pace would have caught Baron Alco. Having watched the race again Moore has kicked him very early off the bend and he genuinely shot clear. O.k Frodon has run him close and you sort of might think that Frodon is handicapped to the hilt but he's still young enough to think he could go on to Graded Level. Baron Alco didn't set the strongest of pace up front he was quite well restrained which normally of course a steadier pace would suit those off the front as it did to some extent but it can also condense beaten distances Frodon was close to him all the way through. Its also an assumption to think that if Baron Alco hadn't run faster fractions and set a stronger pace that he wouldn't have just won by further.

If you took just a look at his last 3 runs just touched off by Charbel who's rattled Politlogue nto despite not jumping well and then hacked up in the Peterborough. Frodon had won... is it the Monets Garden Chase now ? Before hand and if we went back before Baron's injury he was 2nd in a plate trying to give a lb to what is now a 169 rated Gold cup candidate and the bunch of horses in behind were no mugs when it comes to Cheltenham handicaps. All these things obviously need a realistic overview but overall he's been banging into some classy types and remembering this will be only his 9th chase start at the age of 7. His Paddy Power win was nowhere near his biggest figure as I have it so we know at least at one point he was capable of running a better race. In the context of other horses rises like War Sound and Mr Medic does 6lb for beating Frodon look harsh ? I'd have said not. I'd normally be all for taking on the Paddy power winner in this race but this time given his price I think he's worth a shot at doing the double. They may all travel well in behind again but they might just have a job getting past him.

Here's to the rise and rise of Baron Alco...perhaps :
    Last edited by Danny; 12th December 2018 at 5:59 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Outsider (13th December 2018)

SlimChance
    There is no way anyone can read a post that long without killing themself.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

littlelad (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    There is no way anyone can read a post that long without killing themself.
    Lol thats a fairly brief one for me Slim.
    Last edited by Danny; 12th December 2018 at 6:15 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

SlimChance
    I take it back. There is a post twice as long on another thread today and you are not the culprit!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Fifteen runners in the CCGC

Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 13th December 2018 at 12:07 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Danny (13th December 2018)

Thanks
    IE, Top Gamble, Gardefort and Marienstar out.