Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caspian Cavier Gold Cup Cheltenham Sat Dec 15

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ive done Baron alco on the nose and Romain de senam 25/1.i think 25/1 is a cracking price.

Thanks
    I really thought the field would cut up a lot more than in has Foxtail Hill was available at all sorts of prices on Betfair last night as were a few of the others.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Ive done Baron alco on the nose and Romain de senam 25/1.i think 25/1 is a cracking price.
    Agreed happy with Bowen taking the mount I've topped up with some e/w vouchers some at 3 places some at 4places for what is now a fairly tusky bet on a dodgy jumper, wunderbar !

As for the Baron I'll wait for the day I'd think he might be a better price on the day and I'm a little worried with them leaving Foxtail hill in as he won't have it all his own way i front but hopefully it'll lead to it being a proper race which is what we want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Outsider (14th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    War Sound was catching my eye after Forest Bihan was scratched. However, after looking again, really liking the look of Cepage at 12/1. Venetia Williams also had Aso entered up, who is no mug, but it seems Cepage could be an even better horse and must be there to do the business on Saturday. He has form with some good horses, and the sheer presence of Rather Be and other strong fancies is creating a great price on Cepage at present. In the words of Robbie Williams, he's the one.
    Last edited by Marb; 13th December 2018 at 9:54 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (14th December 2018)

Thanks
    Gary Nutting on Atr made a fine case for Cepage. Admittedly I overlooked his chances initially as I'd just looked at the bare result of his Cheltenham outing in the spring although having watched the race he'd certainly as Nutting pointed out got a bit flustered in the Prelims and would certainly have benefited from a faster pace which he should get on Saturday now foxtail hill has stood it's ground. Certainly one of the more interesting ones marble.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Marb (14th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    If of any interest William Hill going seven places in the Caspian Caviar Gold Cup

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Danny (14th December 2018)

Thanks
    I back one....finishes 8th. NAP!

Thanks
    Quality by Frodon. Last time we'll see him in handicaps for a while.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Double J For This Useful Post:

Outsider (15th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I was cheering him home from three out. I expected him to run his heart out and put up a career best but still thought something else would thwart him but that was brilliant to watch.

Cepage was a proper job horse who was miles clear of the third. Guitar Pete was nowhere near as far back as the last time and I thought at halfway maybe he was going to be the one but the first two were brilliant.

Rather Be was clearly nowhere near form and maybe last time took more out of Baron Alco than it seemed at the time. I half-expected these two and Frodon to be very close to each other at the line.

Off 164, Frodon will now go up to 170+ and that makes him better than a handicapper. I can't help thinking this has also been a brilliant training performance from Nicholls. It's hard to get away from the conclusion that this has been the plan all along and that he's been hiding the horse in plain sight.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (15th December 2018)

Thanks
    That's an unreal performance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A joy to watch.i give up on romain de senam and ought to follow DO and pack up horse racing..

And Bryony is as good as any jockey over fences.shes top class.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Just a joy to watch, some of the jumping was fantastic. How anyone can be negative about Bryony just defeats me as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    It must be very soon when there will be no need to even mention its a female jockey
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    It seems most horses seems to want to run and/or jump for her, not unlike Sam Waley-Cohen. That's a huge plus. Same with Josie Gordon on the Flat. Brilliant to watch.

Thanks
    I'm sure I suggested at some point that that Nicholls should pull Frodon out to get the weights to rise so he could get a claimer on Romain de Senam :lo:

If you're going to get something wrong you may as well get it really,really wrong .

I'm not sure what to make of that performance at all. Initailly I watched it and thought.... pace kills ! After I've watched it back a few times I'm just not too sure that the race hasn't fallen to pieces. The eye catcher for me was Mr Medic who took the roots out of one late on but the way he travelled through the race makes me think he'd be well worth a try back down to the minimum trip.

Makes you wonder if he just wasn't right last spring or whether he's just better at this time of year.

Thanks
    I think when the race appears to fall apart because of the pace then we know we're dealing with proper horses. It takes class to keep up a strong pace. That's why I tend to rate these races so highly.

These races tend to take it out of the principals. I've just read the report and Gary Moore says of Baron Alco:

Although Baron Alco was unable to repeat his heroics of last month, he was far from disgraced in fourth, and trainer Gary Moore said: "Jamie said he felt a bit flat, so this race might have come a bit quick, but he still ran his heart out and ran a great race."
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 16th December 2018 at 8:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I'll check it out at some point. I wouldn't have thought he qualified for novice races but he does a have a high enough rating to be dangerous against genuine novices.

Edit - I've had a quick look. It is a Grade 1, not a novices' race. He has little chance unless it cuts up badly. If you can get NRNB fair enough.
    Brain Power franked The Schloer Chase form nicely yesterday, albeit in a Grade 2 Novice Hurdle. He finished one place behind Forest Bihan back in fourth in The Schloer Chase. I do fancy Forest Bihan is going to deliver something special this season, but I have my doubts about whether this will be at Leopardstown. I will probably bide my time.
    Last edited by Marb; 16th December 2018 at 4:42 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    It must be very soon when there will be no need to even mention its a female jockey
    I was just thinking the same when you watch Rachael Blackmore V Jack Kennedy I know which one I would put up
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    It looks like Frodon has taken his field out of their comfort zone.

To cut to the chase, he covered the first half of the race at 2-mile pace, pretty much matching Ozzie The Oscar who had set a decent pace in the shorter race. It looks like that's where the majority of the opposition lost it. They appeared to try to match the pace at their respective distances but couldn't keep it up and were done for some way out.

I don't know if exaggerated hold-up tactics would have helped but nothing came from the back either. Foxtail Hill got on to the heels of the chasing group at the top of the hill but that effort beat him.

Frodon was actually five lengths or so faster than Ozzie at one stage but from about a mile out was slowing down relative to the latter. He was 20-25 lengths slower through that stage.

I know from other [crude] sectional checks that it's normal for longer races to be run fairly close to the pace of shorter races only for them to be slower through the final stages so this isn't unusual but both races appear very strongly run to start with and only class horses can keep up that kind of pace.

Frodon obviously has two-mile pace about him.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 20th December 2018 at 12:40 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (20th December 2018)