Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Non-Triers Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting to see what our Martinstown friends will jock John Joe O'Neill Junior up on in big handicaps while he still has his 5 lb claim.
    I cannot imagine it being wasted on sellers in Fakenham; he is a real chip off the old block, even riding in Dawn Run type colours in Lanzarote Hurdle today.

Thanks
    10 winners left at 5lbs edgt, something for the Martin Pipe no doubt. Rides very tidy - looks to have been well schooled by AP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    I didn't have that much on as the last day at Donny was rubbish. I thought I'd have a sporting bet on today and just watch how he went. What I really want to know is his festival target, and where to get some odds. He is not even quoted in The Martin Pipe.
    Skybet going 16/1
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice one. It's still early days. I hope to see him in the early entries, whenever they make them. I'm sure DG will know when!
    Last edited by Marb; 13th January 2019 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks
    SkyBet are NRNB on this and all other festival races so no entry no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Interesting times.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I've used my skybet account for a while. Will they lay more than £8 each way? Will try and find out.
    Last edited by Marb; 13th January 2019 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Problem is the handicapper will put him up and they might run him again.......then his mark won't look so good in what will be tougher than yesterdays race....
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He was dropped 4lb to 131 for that dissapointment at Doncaster first time out. I don't underestimate how hard it is to come from finishing 7/7 in a class 2 to finishing second in a Class 1 Listed race like yesterday. We shall see what the handicapper does now. I refer to him finishing third behind Ifthecapfits last season, who is rated in the 150's now. I have Solomon Grey down as one of the best handicapped hurdlers in training on all known form at present. Unexposed over 2M4F and will come on again for yesterdays run.
    Last edited by Marb; 13th January 2019 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I refer to him finishing third behind Ifthecapfits last season, who is rated in the 150's now. I have Solomon Grey down as one of the best handicapped hurdlers in training on all known form at present. Unexposed over 2M4F and will come on again for yesterdays run.
    With respect, Marble, that's a very dangerous train of thought. It assumes SG can match ITCF's improvement. Also, I wouldn't assume he can improve from yesterday. It's a wee bit unusual for a horse to finish second in a top handicap and 'come on' for the run (ie assumes lack of fitness) as opposed to maintaining an upward improvement curve. He'll go up two or three pounds for yesterday but it was the worst renewal of the Lanzarote I can recall, with the top weight off just 134. You get higher rated top-weights in £10k midweek handicaps.

If SG is one of the best handicapped hurdlers in training on all known form I think I'll pack it in now.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Beaten just over a length yesterday. He is lightly raced, and there is a big pot to be won with him. If you haven't already, please watch the Doncaster race where he finished last. Nevermind you packing the game in, I thought they would retire him after that run. He has A) either improved about two stone since Doncaster, or B) come back to best form, (and) improved somewhere between 7-10 pound on the aforementioned best form. I guess in a way he has actually done both of the above. A mark in the mid 130's for him is literally not very high at all. He is the complete opposite of badly handicapped over this new distance.
    Last edited by Marb; 13th January 2019 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks
    Beaten just over a length yesterday. He is lightly raced, and there is a big pot to be won with him.
    So why didn't he win yesterday? Why didn't any of the half-decent horses in the country rated over 135 run? Because they're chasing bigger prizes for which they're better-handicapped. He may well win a big pot but looking at the form again the chances are the handicapper will put him back up to 135, off which he wouldn't have beaten Lord Napier yesterday so he'll need to improve 7lbs just to have a chance of winning a similar race to yesterday. Yes, he's lightly raced and will hopefully improve with maturity and experience but he will have to.

If you haven't already, please watch the Doncaster race where he finished last. Nevermind you packing the game in, I thought they would retire him after that run.
    A heavy defeat first time up often means nothing other than that the horse wasn't fit and was looked after.

He has A) either improved about two stone, or B) come back to best form, (and) improved somewhere between 7-10 pound on the aforementioned best form.
    A) From that run, yes, but not from last year's form. As I said, that seasonal debut means nothing in the big scheme of things.
    B) Yes, he returned to form yesterday and, again as I said before, might even have done better if he'd been ridden round the inside. Then again, he might have resented being crowded. But there is no evidence at all that he has improved 7-10lbs on his best form. I had him on 141 before yesterday's race (and 10lbs on my ratings above ORs means he'd need to improve further to have any chance in a race where the top weights are in the 150s) and initial back of fag pack figures means I'll have him rated in the same ball park so it's debatable whether he's improved at all so far.

A mark in the mid 130's for him is literally not very high at all. He is the complete opposite of badly handicapped over this new distance.
    You're right. 135ish is not a high mark but that's his level at the moment. He isn't badly handicapped (or he wouldn't have been second yesterday) but he will really need to improve a fair bit to be competitive in the top handicaps where the real contenders turn up.

When John Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, he replied that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. In similar vein, I wouldn't imagine SG is even the best-handicapped hurdler in the Skelton yard never mind the country. They have a potential Champion Hurdle contender in the yard still running in handicaps.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 13th January 2019 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    They have a potential Champion Hurdle contender in the yard still running in handicaps.
    Indeed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ch'tibello?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Appreciate the feedback, DO. Engaging as always. I think Solomon Grey is very much a work in progress. I've got more evidence to believe that he is progressing and fairly rated too boot, to start winning races, than I am of about 96 or 97 percent of the total racehorse population.
    Last edited by Marb; 13th January 2019 at 1:09 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (13th January 2019)

Thanks
    I've just watched the Lanzarote through again and one caught my eye as a serious notoffski, in my opinion.

Doux Pretender reminded me of a Henderson horse I backed two or three, maybe even four, years back in a good handicap at a top right-handed track, either Ascot, Kempton or Sandown but my mind's eye is telling me Ascot. I can't recall the horse's name but it went on to win a big 'un. It had travelled supremely well through the race, nipped through on the inside approaching the home turn and then was put into reverse gear by the jockey. The ride Doux Pretender got yesterday reminded me of that, other than that he made his move on the outside. But as soon as he got on the heels of the pack you could almost hear the crunching of the gearbox as the jockey - in my opinion - crashed into reverse and eased the horse down.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (14th January 2019)

Thanks
    I've just watched the Lanzarote through again and one caught my eye as a serious notoffski, in my opinion.

Doux Pretender reminded me of a Henderson horse I backed two or three, maybe even four, years back in a good handicap at a top right-handed track, either Ascot, Kempton or Sandown but my mind's eye is telling me Ascot. I can't recall the horse's name but it went on to win a big 'un. It had travelled supremely well through the race, nipped through on the inside approaching the home turn and then was put into reverse gear by the jockey. The ride Doux Pretender got yesterday reminded me of that, other than that he made his move on the outside. But as soon as he got on the heels of the pack you could almost hear the crunching of the gearbox as the jockey - in my opinion - crashed into reverse and eased the horse down.
    Different Gravey perhaps?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjers View Post
    Different Gravey perhaps?
    Don't think so, Bonjers. The form doesn't fit my recollection.

I thought it might have been Brain Power or Might Bite but their profiles don't fit either. I'm maybe getting a wee bit confuddled with age. It might have been Brain Power's hefty defeat in the Greatwood (but I didn't back it then) before going on to lift both the valuable handicaps (from Consul De Thaix both times) at Sandown and Ascot within the following month.

It will come back to me one day when I'm in the middle of something else, like a shite...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Skybet going 16/1
    Also rightly quoted for The Coral Cup, which I forgot to mention. It's too early for me to be getting involved. I look forward to seeing those Coral Cup and Martin Pipe entries though. I suppose this has become a bit of a cliff horse for me now.

Thanks
    Don't think so, Bonjers. The form doesn't fit my recollection.

I thought it might have been Brain Power or Might Bite but their profiles don't fit either. I'm maybe getting a wee bit confuddled with age. It might have been Brain Power's hefty defeat in the Greatwood (but I didn't back it then) before going on to lift both the valuable handicaps (from Consul De Thaix both times) at Sandown and Ascot within the following month.

It will come back to me one day when I'm in the middle of something else, like a shite...
    Verdana Blue put in a couple of "eyecatching" performances at Ascot towards the end of 2017, with a CD win sandwiched inbetween.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."