Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Non-Triers Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    All that aside I would have thought this was a thread to point out spotting horses getting prepared for a touch.

Cool Saint ridden by 3 lb claimer traveled all over everything until 3 furlongs out before tiring but lets just say not to the extent the jockey would have you believe..

Def one for the note book and pretty soon
    WD, good spot

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cheers ...they had plenty on too
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Cheers ...they had plenty on too
    33s into 6s.very nice

Thanks
    Missed this completely well done lads that's awesome.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Even got 12 in running but it's only a loan till Champ wins the Challow....................888sports 6/4 but when I tried to get on they say they can't accept bets form me anymore.....duh!!!
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Wouldn't surprise me if someone puts VLR in here. They want another tilt at Aintree, should have finished close for me, haven't even watched the race though been in work. Well done to Tanlic

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I'll put Speredek in here.

I was anticipating him going off as usual like a scalded cat and taking everything bar Altior out of their comfort zone but instead they opted to follow Special Cargo and he was never really looking interested. Imvho he either simply wasn't trying today or they are trying to get his mark back down for a handicap.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (27th December 2018), Tiny Clanger (28th December 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if someone puts VLR in here. They want another tilt at Aintree, should have finished close for me, haven't even watched the race though been in work. Well done to Tanlic
    Agree with that - both yala enki and vlr been through tough very heavy going haydock GN trials making mincemeat out of the field, very similar abilities for both - both right up there today clear of the field 3miles in, both jumping accurately but vlr then found a reverse gear, that's after a wind op fgs, had difficulty following him that fast in reverse. YE stayed to the bitter end not too far off in 3rd which is where vlr should have been if not better - his last race, the Bechers, he scooted in towards the finish.

Of course that's my own maybe biased subjective opinion but would welcome some independent view.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tiny Clanger; 28th December 2018 at 2:19 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Clanger View Post
    Agree with that - both yala enki and vlr been through tough very heavy going haydock GN trials making mincemeat out of the field, very similar abilities for both - both right up there today clear of the field 3miles in, both jumping accurately but vlr then found a reverse gear, that's after a wind op fgs, had difficulty following him that fast in reverse. YE stayed to the bitter end not too far off in 3rd which is where vlr should have been if not better - his last race, the Bechers, he scooted in towards the finish.

Of course that's my own maybe biased subjective opinion but would welcome some independent view.
    Maybe not totally independent since I backed both Elegant Escape and Yala Enki but I had to think for a while before not backing VLR. I thought VLR was off for his life yesterday and maybe trying to make all at that pace was just too much for him. He has a reputation for being a proper stayer but he isn't really. He's been one of the first I've dismissed in the Grand National ever since his first run when he went into reverse gear two out. Last time out at Haydock was short of three miles, remember.

Yala Enki was always up with the pace and Elegant Escape was never far away. YE maybe very slightly overdid it as well but he's pretty much run his race. Ramses De Teillee was never far away either so I think it was probably a proper race, run at a proper pace and the true stayers with that wee bit of class about them have held sway.

It was probably a very very good race.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (28th December 2018), Tiny Clanger (28th December 2018), Tout Seul (28th December 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Maybe not totally independent since I backed both Elegant Escape and Yala Enki but I had to think for a while before not backing VLR. I thought VLR was off for his life yesterday and maybe trying to make all at that pace was just too much for him. He has a reputation for being a proper stayer but he isn't really. He's been one of the first I've dismissed in the Grand National ever since his first run when he went into reverse gear two out. Last time out at Haydock was short of three miles, remember.

Yala Enki was always up with the pace and Elegant Escape was never far away. YE maybe very slightly overdid it as well but he's pretty much run his race. Ramses De Teillee was never far away either so I think it was probably a proper race, run at a proper pace and the true stayers with that wee bit of class about them have held sway.

It was probably a very very good race.
    Got to agree about VLR. I was on him first time round at 100/1. I was counting my money at the canal turn second time round, he just didn't get home. Backed him in the Becher after where he got up on line to beat Highland Lodge, my first tip I ever posted on here.
    Think the Becher is.his Gold Cup so to speak.

I still think he should have been coming close here, I was on EE and VLR. If they want to try Aintree again can be my only explanation. Having not watched the race your review does make sense. I'll look myself. Think they should swerve the Nash to be honest, travels like a dream till the Melling Road 2nd time round where he empties.

Thanks
    Un Temps Pour Tout will be connections' National horse this year and only has Noble Endeavor to worry about.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 28th December 2018 at 12:12 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (28th December 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Un Temps Pour Tout will be connections' National horse this year and only has Noble Endeavor to worry about.
    Has he qualified yet? I'll follow you in on that. Have a few quid on Noble already so will leave it alone.

Thanks
    I want to sort of put one up before it runs if that's possible. I can only presume Annibale flys price indicates that they won't be having a go this afternoon perhaps trying to get the weight lowered for another attempt at the nash. I'd like to think that's not the case but the price just seems to suspicious to me. It'd be a rare occasion these days that I fire a bet off in Ireland as they just seem to play a different game over there but I would have been tempted if I thought everything was above board.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Has he qualified yet? I'll follow you in on that. Have a few quid on Noble already so will leave it alone.
    Not yet. But at least he's had a jog round in a hurdles race so at least he was well enough to run at that point. He doesn't have any immediate entries either but I expect they'll find a three mile chase for him in the next few weeks as they'll probably want another duck egg next to his name with a view to getting another three or four pounds off his rating ahead of the weights coming out in about six weeks' time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Non triers.everything in the race except apples jade and faugheen.

So relieved to see faugheen get up.

Thanks
    Didn't think he was getting up from that, very relieved. Shocking fall.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    SIRE DU BERLAIS.
    4th in last years m.pipe.today he ran in a pertemps qualifier off 142 which didn5 need to go up.held out 5he back by Davy Russell,at one time him and pleasant company were 5L behind the last horses and possibly 30L behind the leaders.
    13th before the last and ran on into 6th to qualify.owned by JP.
    You could say a good ride by Davy.

Thanks
    Two in the one race in my opinion today.

In that last race at Sandown it looked to me like neither Demopolis nor Saintemilion were there to get anywhere near the places.

I'll start with Saintemilion. Okay, it was his first run for a couple of years so maybe he needed it but was there really any need to jump off last and allow yourself to get more and more detached. He was weak in the market beforehand so maybe a poor run should have been expected but this did not look good. He'd been rated 135 for his British debut when last seen and had been dropped 7lbs for being off. It looked like they wanted another half-stone off his back there.

Demopolis almost doubled in price from this morning's market so again a poor run could be anticipated. It didn't help that Geraghty jumped off him for no apparent reason. The horse himself travelled very strongly for a mile and jumped quite smoothly but towards the end of the back straight the jockey (Tom O'Brien) appeared to engage reverse gear and let the rest run away from him. Again it didn't look good.

No doubt we'll see entirely different performances from both horses when they are more strongly supported in the betting.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Not so much a non Trier as distance too far,but TIMOTEO went into the alerts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    But this is all guess work, Slim. You need to know something is well handicapped, to win a big handicap hurdle, not merely be guessing that it might happen sometime in the future
    How many lengths was Solomon Grey behind Ifthecapfits again? What is Ifthecapfits rated now? My point being, overwhelming evidence tells me Solomon Grey is one hell of a well-handicapped horse on 135. If the Skelton yard have Solomon Grey fit, and ready-to-roll this season, he will win a Tote Trophy or a County Hurdle. Mark my words. Provided they don't go novice chasing..
    Well well well , Solomon Grey entered up in The Lanzarote on Saturday which I find very interesting. I'm considering having a lump on with Bet 365 later today. Funnily enough I went to Lanzarote once as a baby, I came back looking burnt red like a beetroot. I'm not sure I wanna get burnt again...
    Last edited by Marb; 7th January 2019 at 6:57 PM.