Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Non-Triers Thread

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All that aside I would have thought this was a thread to point out spotting horses getting prepared for a touch.

Cool Saint ridden by 3 lb claimer traveled all over everything until 3 furlongs out before tiring but lets just say not to the extent the jockey would have you believe..

Def one for the note book and pretty soon
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Edit
    Last edited by Marb; 12th December 2018 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    How many lengths was Solomon Grey behind Ifthecapfits again? What is Ifthecapfits rated now? My point being, overwhelming evidence tells me Solomon Grey is one hell of a well-handicapped horse on 135. If the Skelton yard have Solomon Grey fit, and ready-to-roll this season, he will win a Tote Trophy or a County Hurdle. Mark my words. Provided they don't go novice chasing..
    Finally we may see what this one can do on Saturday. He could have any amount in hand of the handicapper, Imho.
    Last edited by Marb; 11th December 2018 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    One definite qualifier for the thread is, as I anticipated, Noble Endeavor last Saturday at Aintree, and I was glad to see it.

He needed to run in a race of this trip to qualify for the National but in the belief they didn't want him going up the handicap I was hoping he'd be a finisher but unplaced. Had he failed to finish the handicapper would probably leave his rating alone. NE lobbed along in the second half of the race made a little ground on the run to two out for minimal pressure and was then eased off long before the last finishing well beaten but I was delighted with his run and Gordon Elliott seemed happy too. NE has been dropped a pound (to 151) for Saturday and I wouldn't be surprised if he had another unplaced run over fences before the weights for the National come out. However, I won't be surprised if he's kept either off the track or over hurdles now until the weights come out.

But make no mistake, this horse has a very serious chance of winning the National. If he turns up on the day at the top of his game, I'd rate him a 5/1 shot rather than the 50/1 currently on offer. I'd rate Un Temps Pour Tout at his best a slightly better bet and I wouldn't want to look anywhere else for a main bet. I don't think either is far behind Native River, if at all. It's just that the latter has avoided injury in the last couple of years but for me if the NH Chase form of 2016 is very good then the Ultima form of 2017 is just sensational, even allowing for Singlefarmpayment not franking it.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (12th December 2018), Outsider (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im a fan of un tempes as well DO.and i agree about noble endeavour and elliot was happy and said it was all systems go for the national.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (12th December 2018)

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    Today was a strange days racing. So many big drifters but it was more a case of the types of races than anything not trying. That's the problem with this time of year, so many horses running over hurdles and fences for the first time. One that was completely dead in the market all day and ran like the 186 day break meant it couldn't put its best foot forward was Birch Vale in the 2.15 Ayr. Given the trainer is in good form you'd have to think this one will come on a lot for the run.
    Entered in the 2.15 Souhwell on Sunday. It's a mares handicap and she really should go close. The handicapper dropped her 2lbs for the last run. Looking forward to seeing what price she gets put in.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 12th December 2018 at 3:29 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How many lengths was Solomon Grey behind Ifthecapfits again? What is Ifthecapfits rated now? My point being, overwhelming evidence tells me Solomon Grey is one hell of a well-handicapped horse on 135. If the Skelton yard have Solomon Grey fit, and ready-to-roll this season, he will win a Tote Trophy or a County Hurdle. Mark my words. Provided they don't go novice chasing.
    Declared for tomorrow's 2:10 at Doncaster. I'll be massively disappointed if he doesn't hose up. He only needs to stay on all fours, imvho.
    Last edited by Marb; 14th December 2018 at 12:13 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (14th December 2018)

Thanks
    Amazing Comedy absolutely hacks up the cross country in March. Could have won the race at any point after the second last, jockey just had no.interest in winning. Either that or it goes down as one of the worst rides I've seen. Also had no financial interest before people say pocket talk.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He must have the gift of the gab DJ because Felix De Giles is just about the worst jockey I can remember in 40 years.

I just re-watched it...must agree shocking ride.

Put someone like Jamie Codd up he's have won without a doubt
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Amazing Comedy absolutely hacks up the cross country in March. Could have won the race at any point after the second last, jockey just had no.interest in winning. Either that or it goes down as one of the worst rides I've seen. Also had no financial interest before people say pocket talk.
    Its level weights come March they all will be looking at Tigers Roll ass come the finish.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Horse found nothing up the hill and made a mess of the last. Won't be winning a hand of poker never mind the XC at the Festival.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to trefflich For This Useful Post:

Danny (14th December 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trefflich View Post
    Horse found nothing up the hill and made a mess of the last. Won't be winning a hand of poker never mind the XC at the Festival.
    Didn't realise the XC was level weights, my bad. No chance against Tiger Roll.

However in terms of that race I disagree. Think the horse could have won at any point from 2/3 out, and making a mistake at last shouldn't have made a difference as it could have been streets ahead.

I'll watch it back again, looked an absolute stinking ride for me as Tanlic said. Thought it would have qualified for this thread to keep its mark down for March, I was wrong so apologise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    He must have the gift of the gab DJ because Felix De Giles is just about the worst jockey I can remember in 40 years
    Ann Stokell rode during this period so that's saying something !
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Outsider (15th December 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Declared for tomorrow's 2:10 at Doncaster. I'll be massively disappointed if he doesn't hose up. He only needs to stay on all fours, imvho.
    Disappointed with that. I guess he had an off day. Ran nowhere near to his best.
    Last edited by Marb; 15th December 2018 at 3:18 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (15th December 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Ann Stokell rode during this period so that's saying something !
    Broderick munroe wilson and emma spencer(ramsden) must come in to that time frame

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Disappointed with that. I guess he had an off day. Ran nowhere near to his best.
    I know how he feels.

SlimChance
    Today was a strange days racing. So many big drifters but it was more a case of the types of races than anything not trying. That's the problem with this time of year, so many horses running over hurdles and fences for the first time. One that was completely dead in the market all day and ran like the 186 day break meant it couldn't put its best foot forward was Birch Vale in the 2.15 Ayr. Given the trainer is in good form you'd have to think this one will come on a lot for the run.
    Runs tomorrow in the 2.15 Southwell. Not the easiest of races but I'll gladly take 9/1 if it's there in the morning. Daryln would be clear fav for me so maybe some forcasts the two.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 15th December 2018 at 9:55 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (15th December 2018)

Thanks
    DC probably had stamina doubts about Amazing Comedy hence ridden with far more restraint than usual.

Conditions race in March certainly won't help him and hope that Bucefal travels over.

Only need to watch Felix's rides around Pau and other top XC tracks, or the rides on Urgent De Gregaine to see he's the best jockey in these races, right position all the way through a race, Amazing Comedy hit two stuffed hurdles late on that cost him.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Stamp For This Useful Post:

Danny (16th December 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Stamp View Post
    DC probably had stamina doubts about Amazing Comedy hence ridden with far more restraint than usual.

Conditions race in March certainly won't help him and hope that Bucefal travels over.

Only need to watch Felix's rides around Pau and other top XC tracks, or the rides on Urgent De Gregaine to see he's the best jockey in these races, right position all the way through a race, Amazing Comedy hit two stuffed hurdles late on that cost him.
    Agreed on this Felix, while not the top, is very far from the bottom

SlimChance
    Runs tomorrow in the 2.15 Southwell. Not the easiest of races but I'll gladly take 9/1 if it's there in the morning. Daryln would be clear fav for me so maybe some forcasts the two.
    Into 5/1. This is the lowest price I would take. Pity the price went so cheaply.