Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Non-Triers Thread

Thanks
    I also wonder if he’ll end up in the Martin Pipe rather than the Coral Cup.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is entered at Ascot over 2M3.5F this Saturday. Distance-wise that might make him more likely for the Martin Pipe, but he will go up in the weights for The Festival if he won. Hence I reckon a mark anywhere in the 140's would make him more likely to run in The Coral Cup. See if racing resumes. All if's and buts at the moment.
    Last edited by Marb; 11th February 2019 at 6:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    He is entered at Ascot over 2M3.5F this Saturday. Distance-wise that might make him more likely for the Martin Pipe, but he will go up in the weights for The Festival if he won. Hence I reckon a mark anywhere in the 140's would make him more likely to run in The Coral Cup. See if racing resumes. All if's and buts at the moment.
    Skelton's ew patent then for chelt.yours plus nube nehra (county) and notwhatiam (pertemps)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Where did Skelton say this?
    Last edited by Marb; 11th February 2019 at 8:07 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh sorry you mean you've done an e/w patent, my mistake.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (11th February 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I also wonder if he’ll end up in the Martin Pipe rather than the Coral Cup.
    Solomon Grey was not entered in the Martin Pipe today. I'm pleased to see him in The Coral Cup though.
    Last edited by Marb; 21st February 2019 at 5:04 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (21st February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I half-suspect a potential non-trier today could be Angels Breath. Kautu Abu might be in a position to disabuse me of the notion but I wonder if today's main aim is to educate the horse. In recent weeks Hendo has said more than once he'd rather avoid this race as the horse has only jumped four hurdles in public, needs more experience and would prefer to go for a very weak race where he can give the horse an educational run [while still winning].

I've actually backed stable-mate Daphne Du Clos (ew) in the same race. She was evens favourite to beat Scarlet Dragon last time after a whole year off and maybe that was her 'educational' run.

We'll see how it pans out.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Didn't know Arkham gave weekend passes
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I half-suspect a potential non-trier today could be Angels Breath.
    Henderson re today

Everybody knows how frustrating the last few weeks have been and this horse has suffered because of it. I was hoping to run him at Newbury but that was called off and then we had to re-vaccinate which meant he had to have an easy day or two after it. But everything is absolutely fine with him now and his work has been excellent. He’s done plenty of schooling and is electric; he’s so fast and accurate over his hurdles – just like an arrow and I honestly don’t think you’ll see a better horse over an obstacle than him! I was looking at going for a small novice somewhere but he would probably have scared much of the opposition away so we opted to come here instead where he’s likely to get a good gallop and gain much more valuable experience, of which he does need. Obviously Dai Walters also has Al Dancer for the Supreme so this will tell us a lot more about whether we need to go up in trip or stick to 2m.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (23rd February 2019), Outsider (23rd February 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I half-suspect a potential non-trier today could be Angels Breath.

Claiming it.

I'm not sure Scarlet Dragon was there to win either. He looks very well treated for the County before the likely drop in rating for this. He's maybe just not got the experience for the hustle and bustle of a big handicap although he's used to them on the Flat.

Overall, though, I have to say it was a totally underwhelming day's racing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Clueless comes to mind complete nonsense times 2
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Another that looked a non-trier for me yesterday was Glen Rocco. I'd intended to back him but changed my mind after reading back through notes, viz that the Topham was the big aim this season and the National next year. I backed him for the Ultima last month (nrnb/bog) so now hope he bodyswerves the festival altogether. I wasn't at all impressed with the ride he got yesterday although maybe his jumping was to an extent found out in higher-class open company. He looked about to be tailed off at one point before running on up the straight, closing down again on Romain De Senam and Adrien Du Pont, both of which had left him behind turning for home.

Thanks
    Glen Rocco finished lame
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (25th February 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I did back him and wondered why he suddenly lost ground when looking like he was just biding his time to pounce.

Only I am dumb and it never entered my head that connections would decide to stop a horse in the biggest test of his life

"Oh what a good idea"........we'll enter our horse at track he loves in a 56k race to the winner and stop him.

as I said clueless
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Choochoobugaloo 5/2 fav taken wide and never made a serious effort just now (2.10 Uttoxeter) , holds an entry for Sedgefield next Sunday.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What a shocker of a stopping job...........Tonto Spirit a huge drifter in both the win and place markets bowling along in front. Horse gets passed for the lead but is still going we back in 3rd and he gains about 2 lengths jumping the next fence and lookslike he's going to gi forward but O'Farrell just sits motionless as horse after horse passes him, No riding being done no whip nothing just blatantly not trying and as the camera swithches down the straight there he is full of running with his jockey counting his share.............this should be is the game still crooked ..........I think the previous trainer or maybe it was the owner RIP just died but that doesn't give Dianne Sayer the right to be stopping the horse and telling half the world he wont be winning
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I suspect Benny's Bridge wasn't trying today or maybe he was meant to be but they changed their mind because of the going.

He got a very similar ride last time at Cheltenham but they went a decent pace on decent ground that day and picked them up effortlessly.

It looked today like the plan was to stalk Call Me Lord and follow him through but he was looked after from two out. As I said elsewhere, I hope he didn't end up have a hard race and that he turns up on Tuesday but they might just put him away now for Aintree or the April meeting. It has to be long odds against him getting into the County.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (9th March 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't believe it. There was nothing said when I looked so I tweeted the Stewrds at Ayr and told them several people were concerned,,,,,,,,,they actually listened for a change An enquiry was held into the running and riding of TONTO’S SPIRIT, ridden by Conor O’Farrell, which lost ground leaving the back straight, before running on again to finish fifth of six beaten 20¾ lengths. The rider was interviewed and shown recordings of the race, and the Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the gelding during routine testing failed to reveal any abnormalities. The rider stated his instructions were to ride the horse in the usual manner i.e jump off and make the running and ride the horse from the front. He added that TONTO’S SPIRIT was not showing his normal enthusiasm for racing and was hanging uncharacteristically right in the back straight causing him to lose ground rapidly. He further added that he had stopped riding as he considered that the gelding may have something amiss. Then, as he straightened up approaching 4 out, the gelding stopped hanging and began to stay on, allowing him to resume riding. His explanation was noted.
    Formely Fist of Fury

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Outsider (9th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    SIRE DU BERLAIS.
    4th in last years m.pipe.today he ran in a pertemps qualifier off 142 which didn5 need to go up.held out 5he back by Davy Russell,at one time him and pleasant company were 5L behind the last horses and possibly 30L behind the leaders.
    13th before the last and ran on into 6th to qualify.owned by JP.
    You could say a good ride by Davy.
    Nice winner.took 12s.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Nice winner.took 12s.
    365 made a boo boo and opened at 50s after the race. Wasn't around long.