Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1
    Super Moderator Diamond Geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    11,325
    Thanks
    1,635
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,202 Posts

    Newspaper and Pro Tipsters

    Does anyone take any notice of any newspaper tips ?

    Regardless this is the current "League Table" and if you click on View League Table top left of screen you see a current list of the most profitable pro tipsters

    https://www.thetipsterleague.com/new...acing-tipsters

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

    BradTTL (10th November 2018)

  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

    To remove these adverts please either login or join if you are not a member.


     

  4. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    7,235
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 97 Times in 87 Posts
    Last newspaper tipster I took notice of was Henry Rix-that was a long time ago.

  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    679
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 90 Times in 81 Posts
    My mate raves about Templegate. I backed his nap a while ago that finished a stone last.

    This forum has far more knowledgeable people than the ones that work for the papers.

  6. #4
    Senior Member Perpetual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Thames Valley
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 409 Times in 249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Last newspaper tipster I took notice of was Henry Rix-that was a long time ago.
    Ditto

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,048
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked 802 Times in 588 Posts
    I always take it as a positive if Paul Kealy agrees with my selection.
    Two's company, three's allowed.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

    Outsider (9th November 2018)

  9. #6
    SlimChance
    Guest
    Templegate has been penned by numerous tipsters. Any newspaper tipsters record is essentially random. Concentrate on beating the SP if you really want to improve your betting.

  10. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    687
    Thanked 271 Times in 255 Posts
    Blog Entries
    427
    Gerald Delamare RP big races and saturday.
    Have read him for must be 40 years.very knowledgeable.

    Years ago i always read Nick Mordin.
    I remember him tipping an A.Fabre horse at the breeders cup and said it was the best bet in 10 yrs and to take american prices.
    It hacked up and i got 6/1

  11. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 175 Times in 162 Posts
    I used to follow "split second" from the SCHB, worked really well if you didn't take everything at face value. Took Nick Mordin's "Betting for a living" on holiday this year - I'll keep going back to it there's so much in there.

    Now I just follow Outsider

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2017diary For This Useful Post:

    Outsider (9th November 2018)

  13. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,276
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 301 Times in 235 Posts
    Kealy is decent and for anybody who can put up with the rest of the shite, Frank Hickey's comments on the RP podcasts are normally worth taking on board too - but he's a PP odds compiler as opposed to tipster.

    But the only tipster I would (sometimes) back blind isn't a racing tipster, it's Steve Palmer on the golf.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

    Outsider (9th November 2018)

  15. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,048
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked 802 Times in 588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Years ago i always read Nick Mordin.
    I remember him tipping an A.Fabre horse at the breeders cup and said it was the best bet in 10 yrs and to take american prices.
    It hacked up and i got 6/1

    Quote Originally Posted by 2017diary View Post
    Took Nick Mordin's "Betting for a living" on holiday this year - I'll keep going back to it there's so much in there.
    Mordin's occasional items in the Handicap Book / Raceform Update / Weekender used to prick my curiosity so I ended up buying his book. I think it was Mordin On Time or something like that (I'll still have it up the loft) and experimented with it for a while but ended up rejecting it as entirely flawed.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2017diary View Post
    I used to follow "split second" from the SCHB, worked really well if you didn't take everything at face value.
    Ken Hussey was excellent. I never understood why Dave Edwards was allowed to supersede him. I'm not sure Edwards gets anything right.
    Two's company, three's allowed.

  16. #11
    SlimChance
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Kealy is decent and for anybody who can put up with the rest of the shite, Frank Hickey's comments on the RP podcasts are normally worth taking on board too - but he's a PP odds compiler as opposed to tipster.

    But the only tipster I would (sometimes) back blind isn't a racing tipster, it's Steve Palmer on the golf.
    The guy fluked two six figure wins and didn't quit his job. If you gave me his picks everyday by text I'd throw my phone in the river. He's an absolute guesser.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 9th November 2018 at 1:17 PM.

  17. #12
    Senior Member Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    8,633
    Thanks
    362
    Thanked 413 Times in 278 Posts
    One I take seriously nowadays, but so does the market unfortunately, is Gary O'Brien.

  18. #13
    SlimChance
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    One I take seriously nowadays, but so does the market unfortunately, is Gary O'Brien.
    I'd say he'd rather an hour with the formbook than a hooker. I wonder does he pay any attention to UK racing and might RUK use him for some meetings across the sea.

  19. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,276
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 301 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    The guy fluked two six figure wins and didn't quit his job. If you gave me his picks everyday by text I'd throw my phone in the river. He's an absolute guesser.
    I presume you're talking about Hickey and you'd know him/of him better than me but on the rare occasions I've listened to the RP nowadays he's stood out but then again, in the land of the blind and all that...
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

  20. #15
    SlimChance
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    I presume you're talking about Hickey and you'd know him/of him better than me but on the rare occasions I've listened to the RP nowadays he's stood out but then again, in the land of the blind and all that...
    He's not related to a good judge. RP podcast hysteria. The same people who gave Emmett Kennedy a platform.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 9th November 2018 at 3:37 PM.

  21. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,276
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 301 Times in 235 Posts
    The only platform I'd give Kennedy is one with a noose above it
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

  22. #17
    SlimChance
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    The only platform I'd give Kennedy is one with a noose above it
    Agreed. Frank is a nice guy but the reverence he gets on social media is beyond his ability. I'd actually be happy enough to lay him and I don't say that about profitable punters.

  23. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,329
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 189 Times in 138 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    I'd actually be happy enough to lay him
    That's an unexpected twist.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew."

  24. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Cork. Home of steeple chasing
    Posts
    3,790
    Thanks
    1,094
    Thanked 507 Times in 336 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Check out The Ask Audrey column in "De Paypur" (Irish Examiner) every Friday and wonder aloud if An Capall is moonlighting.
    Best column for tips every week.

  25. #20
    SlimChance
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Check out The Ask Audrey column in "De Paypur" (Irish Examiner) every Friday and wonder aloud if An Capall is moonlighting.
    Best column for tips every week.
    Pat Keane is one of the best horse racing journalist but no one has heard of him north east of the Shannon. He's been using the bookmaker shops n Carrigaline as an ATM for decades.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •