Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newspaper and Pro Tipsters

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

Newspaper and Pro Tipsters

Does anyone take any notice of any newspaper tips ?

Regardless this is the current "League Table" and if you click on View League Table top left of screen you see a current list of the most profitable pro tipsters

https://www.thetipsterleague.com/new...acing-tipsters

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

BradTTL (10th November 2018)

Thanks
    Last newspaper tipster I took notice of was Henry Rix-that was a long time ago.

Thanks
    My mate raves about Templegate. I backed his nap a while ago that finished a stone last.

This forum has far more knowledgeable people than the ones that work for the papers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Last newspaper tipster I took notice of was Henry Rix-that was a long time ago.
    Ditto

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I always take it as a positive if Paul Kealy agrees with my selection.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (9th November 2018)

SlimChance
    Templegate has been penned by numerous tipsters. Any newspaper tipsters record is essentially random. Concentrate on beating the SP if you really want to improve your betting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gerald Delamare RP big races and saturday.
    Have read him for must be 40 years.very knowledgeable.

Years ago i always read Nick Mordin.
    I remember him tipping an A.Fabre horse at the breeders cup and said it was the best bet in 10 yrs and to take american prices.
    It hacked up and i got 6/1

Thanks
    I used to follow "split second" from the SCHB, worked really well if you didn't take everything at face value. Took Nick Mordin's "Betting for a living" on holiday this year - I'll keep going back to it there's so much in there.

Now I just follow Outsider

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2017diary For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kealy is decent and for anybody who can put up with the rest of the shite, Frank Hickey's comments on the RP podcasts are normally worth taking on board too - but he's a PP odds compiler as opposed to tipster.

But the only tipster I would (sometimes) back blind isn't a racing tipster, it's Steve Palmer on the golf.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Years ago i always read Nick Mordin.
    I remember him tipping an A.Fabre horse at the breeders cup and said it was the best bet in 10 yrs and to take american prices.
    It hacked up and i got 6/1

Quote Originally Posted by 2017diary View Post
    Took Nick Mordin's "Betting for a living" on holiday this year - I'll keep going back to it there's so much in there.
    Mordin's occasional items in the Handicap Book / Raceform Update / Weekender used to prick my curiosity so I ended up buying his book. I think it was Mordin On Time or something like that (I'll still have it up the loft) and experimented with it for a while but ended up rejecting it as entirely flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2017diary View Post
    I used to follow "split second" from the SCHB, worked really well if you didn't take everything at face value.
    Ken Hussey was excellent. I never understood why Dave Edwards was allowed to supersede him. I'm not sure Edwards gets anything right.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Kealy is decent and for anybody who can put up with the rest of the shite, Frank Hickey's comments on the RP podcasts are normally worth taking on board too - but he's a PP odds compiler as opposed to tipster.

But the only tipster I would (sometimes) back blind isn't a racing tipster, it's Steve Palmer on the golf.
    The guy fluked two six figure wins and didn't quit his job. If you gave me his picks everyday by text I'd throw my phone in the river. He's an absolute guesser.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 9th November 2018 at 1:17 PM.

Thanks
    One I take seriously nowadays, but so does the market unfortunately, is Gary O'Brien.

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    One I take seriously nowadays, but so does the market unfortunately, is Gary O'Brien.
    I'd say he'd rather an hour with the formbook than a hooker. I wonder does he pay any attention to UK racing and might RUK use him for some meetings across the sea.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    The guy fluked two six figure wins and didn't quit his job. If you gave me his picks everyday by text I'd throw my phone in the river. He's an absolute guesser.
    I presume you're talking about Hickey and you'd know him/of him better than me but on the rare occasions I've listened to the RP nowadays he's stood out but then again, in the land of the blind and all that...

SlimChance
    I presume you're talking about Hickey and you'd know him/of him better than me but on the rare occasions I've listened to the RP nowadays he's stood out but then again, in the land of the blind and all that...
    He's not related to a good judge. RP podcast hysteria. The same people who gave Emmett Kennedy a platform.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 9th November 2018 at 3:37 PM.

Thanks
    The only platform I'd give Kennedy is one with a noose above it

SlimChance
    The only platform I'd give Kennedy is one with a noose above it
    Agreed. Frank is a nice guy but the reverence he gets on social media is beyond his ability. I'd actually be happy enough to lay him and I don't say that about profitable punters.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    I'd actually be happy enough to lay him
    That's an unexpected twist.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Check out The Ask Audrey column in "De Paypur" (Irish Examiner) every Friday and wonder aloud if An Capall is moonlighting.
    Best column for tips every week.

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Check out The Ask Audrey column in "De Paypur" (Irish Examiner) every Friday and wonder aloud if An Capall is moonlighting.
    Best column for tips every week.
    Pat Keane is one of the best horse racing journalist but no one has heard of him north east of the Shannon. He's been using the bookmaker shops n Carrigaline as an ATM for decades.