Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2 Milers - The road to the Queen Mother Chase (Latest acceptors Feb 12th)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
    I was of the same opinion with Ordinary World last year maybe pinching a place if ridden that way.
    Knew the game was up as he made his ground up too soon!

You are correct.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Danny and DO, you must have a fair idea?
    I seldom get involved in this race until the day unless something posts a rating during the season that's comparable with the ratings of previous race principals. But there's usually one or two allowed to sit at much bigger odds than their form suggests they should be. So far nothing has caught my eye.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Fox Norton at 33's e/w looks tremendous value for this with the non runner no bet concession with sky bet. Rarely runs a bad race.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyB For This Useful Post:

tiggers1972 (3rd January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Entries for QMCC

Altior stars as 22 entered for Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase

Thursday, January 10, 2019 - Superstar chaser Altior headlines 22 entries for the £400,000 G1 Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, the highlight on day two of The Festival™ presented by Magners, Ladies Day, Wednesday, March 13 at Cheltenham.

Trained by Nicky Henderson and owned by Patricia Pugh, Altior is undefeated in three starts at The Festival™ presented by Magners and is going for back-to-back victories over the Old Course at Cheltenham in the two-mile Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, following an impressive seven-length victory over Min (Willie Mullins IRE) in 2018.

He won the 2017 G1 Racing Post Arkle Novices' Chase emphatically and the 2016 G1 Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle in tremendous style, also by seven lengths from Min.

Altior is the 1/2 favourite with Betway on the back of a very easy success in the G2 Desert Orchid Chase at Kempton Park on December 27, the nine-year-old's 16th consecutive victory over obstacles, further consolidating his unbeaten record over fences (11 starts) and previously hurdles (five starts).

If successful, he would bring Henderson's sixth Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase victory, equalling the record for a trainer in the race held by the late Tom Dreaper.

Willie Mullins accounts for four of the 10 Irish-trained entries, with Min accompanied by last year's impressive G1 Racing Post Arkle Novices' Chase winner Footpad (8/1), nine-time G1 scorer Un De Sceaux (10/1)and Great Field (10/1).

The Irish challenge also includes 12-year-old Special Tiara (Henry de Bromhead IRE), winner of the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase in 2017, and G2 Hilly Way Chase victor Castlegrace Paddy (Pat Fahy IRE, 50/1).

Sceau Royal (Alan King) is the shortest-priced British-trained contender behind Altior at 16/1. He defeated Simply Ned (Nicky Richards, 25/1) by two and a quarter lengths in the G2 Shloer Chase at The November Meeting but was no match for Altior when fourth in the G1 Betfair Tingle Creek Chase at Sandown Park in December.

Popular 12-year-old Simply Ned, whose stables are in Cumbria, humbled several of the Irish contenders, including runner-up Footpad, on their own turf when landing the G1 Paddy's Rewards Club "Sugar Paddy" Chase at Leopardstown over Christmas.

Fellow Northern-trained Lady Buttons (Phil Kirby, 40/1) is the only mare among the entries. The nine-year-old is three from three so far this season, taking in a Listed hurdle at Wetherby, a competitive handicap chase at Newbury and most recently a two and a half-mile Listed chase at Doncaster on December 29.

Her record over fences stands at four wins from five starts. A mare has yet to win the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, with the last one to be placed being the great Anaglogs Daughter - runner-up to Drumgora in 1981.

North Yorkshire-based Phil Kirby said: "Lady Buttons has come out of Doncaster in good form.

"We were delighted with her performance and this season, she has just kept on improving.

"She has always been a horse we have held in high regard. She had a couple of niggles earlier on in her career, but the last couple of seasons have been excellent and she has progressed with every run.

"We have entered her in the Champion Chase. We are still to make a decision as to where she runs next as there are not a whole load of options at two miles for mares.

"It was pleasing at Doncaster that she demonstrated she stays further."

Paul Nicholls, who has won the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase on five occasions, has G1 Melling Chase victor and last year's fourth Politologue (25/1) among his two contenders, while Colin Tizzard's sole entry is the 2017 runner-up Fox Norton (25/1).

Other notables include God's Own (Tom George, 40/1), who came home third in the 2018 Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, and Saint Calvados (Harry Whittington, 25/1).

Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase - Betway prices: 1/2 Altior; 8/1 Footpad; 10/1 Min; Great Field, Sceau Royal, Un De Sceaux; 25/1 Fox Norton, Politologue, Saint Calvados, Simply Ned; 33/1 Diego Du Charmil, Petit Mouchoir; 40/1 God's Own, Lady Buttons; 50/1 Castlegrace Paddy, Doctor Phoenix, Ordinary World; 66/1 A Toi Phil, Forest Bihan, Hell's Kitchen, Ozzie The Oscar

G 1 Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase
    Grade 1, £400,000 Total Prize Fund. 3.30pm Cheltenham, Old Course, Wednesday, March 13, 2019. Two miles (1m 7f 199y). For 5yo+ who are allotted a rating of 130 or more by the BHA Head of Handicapping following a review of the horses entered and after taking account of races run up to and including the day prior to confirmation - horses who are not qualified for a rating in Great Britain, Ireland or France may also be entered & such horses may be eligible providing the Handicapper is satisfied that the horse's racecourse performances up to and including the day prior to confirmation would merit a minimum rating of 130 (the decision of the BHA Head of Handicapping shall be final). Weights: 11st 10lb. Allowances: mares 7lb. Entries closed January 8, entries revealed January 10 (22 entries), scratchings' deadline February 12, £20,000 supplementary entry & six-day confirmation stage March 7. Final 48-hour declaration stage, 10am, March 11.

Horse Age Owner Trainer
    A TOI PHIL (FR) 9 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
    ALTIOR (IRE) 9 Patricia Pugh Nicky Henderson
    CASTLEGRACE PADDY (IRE) 8 Clipper Logistics Group Ltd Pat Fahy IRE
    DIEGO DU CHARMIL (FR) 7 Mrs Johnny de la Hey Paul Nicholls
    DOCTOR PHOENIX (IRE) 11 Nick Bradley Racing Club Gordon Elliott IRE
    FOOTPAD (FR) 7 Simon Munir/Isaac Souede Willie Mullins IRE
    FOREST BIHAN (FR) 8 Phil & Julie Martin Brian Ellison
    FOX NORTON (FR) 9 Ann & Alan Potts Limited Colin Tizzard
    GOD'S OWN (IRE) 11 Crossed Fingers Partnership Tom George
    GREAT FIELD (FR) 8 J P McManus Willie Mullins IRE
    HELL'S KITCHEN 8 J P McManus Harry Fry
    LADY BUTTONS 9 Jayne Sivills Philip Kirby
    MIN (FR) 8 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
    ORDINARY WORLD (IRE) 9 Chris Jones Henry de Bromhead IRE
    OZZIE THE OSCAR (IRE) 8 Bradley Partnership Philip Hobbs
    PETIT MOUCHOIR (FR) 8 Gigginstown House Stud Henry de Bromhead IRE
    POLITOLOGUE (FR) 8 John Hales Paul Nicholls
    SAINT CALVADOS (FR) 6 Kate & Andrew Brooks Harry Whittington
    SCEAU ROYAL (FR) 7 Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Alan King
    SIMPLY NED (IRE) 12 David & Nicky Robinson Nicky Richards
    SPECIAL TIARA 12 Sally Rowley-Williams Henry de Bromhead IRE
    UN DE SCEAUX (FR) 11 Edward O'Connell Willie Mullins IRE

22 entries
    10 Irish-trained

Breakdown of Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase Entries by Trainer
    4 entries
    Willie Mullins IRE - Footpad, Great Field, Min, Un De Sceaux

3 entries
    Henry de Bromhead IRE - Ordinary World, Petit Mouchoir, Special Tiara

2 entries
    Gordon Elliott IRE - A Toi Phil, Doctor Phoenix
    Paul Nicholls - Diego Du Charmil, Politologue

1 entry
    Brian Ellison - Forest Bihan
    Pat Fahy IRE - Castlegrace Paddy
    Harry Fry - Hell's Kitchen
    Tom George - God's Own
    Nicky Henderson - Altior
    Philip Hobbs - Ozzie The Oscar
    Alan King - Sceau Royal
    Philip Kirby - Lady Buttons
    Nicky Richards - Simply Ned
    Colin Tizzard - Fox Norton
    Harry Whittington - Saint Calvados

Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 10th January 2019 at 12:20 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

archie (10th January 2019), Perpetual (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Wonder could Min become the number 1 Mullins horse for this now
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Hells Kitchen an interesting entry and could see him loving a fast run 2 miles around there

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    The form of the Durkan isn't working out too well....

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Can anyone get Altior beat? The only argument is he hasn't looked to be travelling great last year or in the Arkle, that's until he sods off up hill like a prime Usain Bolt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Can anyone get Altior beat? The only argument is he hasn't looked to be travelling great last year or in the Arkle, that's until he sods off up hill like a prime Usain Bolt.
    Highly unlikely
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I was all over Footpad at the start of the season, had him in multiples (one of which is still alive) and my take was based partly on Altior's trip last year, that flat spot. I felt that a top class two miler could exploit that. However now I'm not sure. Let's face it he wasn't hard fit for the race last year on the back of just the one run and the ground wouldn't have helped him. This year though chances are he's gonna get better ground and more runs under his belt. Very tough to beat.

Now, I'm not normally a stats guy but Arkle winners have a magnificent record in the following year's QM and my default possie is to favour the younger horse - remember when Sizing Europe was well into double figures in 2011 when he faced Big Zeb and Master Minded. That's the angle I'm hanging my hat on at this point.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 10th January 2019 at 4:08 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

edgt (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    2 angles to take with Footpad

1. He wasn't right fto, last day he hadn't recovered and was short of work. Will be hard trained fro March now

2. French horse on the go since being a 3 year old, won a small field Arkle and jumped exceptionally well in Ireland in slower run chases, won a small field Arkle of which the form looks very questionable now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Arkle Chase angle is by far the most profitable angle to follow with only Douvan letting the side down when injured over nearly 20 years

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    Hells Kitchen an interesting entry and could see him loving a fast run 2 miles around there
    I'm not sure he's quite up to this level but I do have a very big figure for him from Ascot. I think that was a very hot little race.

Thanks
    I actually thought he travelled better than usual last time and maybe he's just growing up mentally. A frightening prospect for would-be challengers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    The form of the Durkan isn't working out too well....

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk
    2 angles to take with Footpad

1. He wasn't right fto, last day he hadn't recovered and was short of work. Will be hard trained fro March now

2. French horse on the go since being a 3 year old, won a small field Arkle and jumped exceptionally well in Ireland in slower run chases, won a small field Arkle of which the form looks very questionable now
    Willie and Ruby know that Min can't beat Altior, so they will avoid him at all costs. Really believe we will see Min in the Ryanair (Unless something happens to Altior of course or if multiple WPM horses meet with setbacks and he is the only one left standing - maybe then they go QMCC with him. But I think that one or more of Footpad, Ballyoisin or Great Field will be who lines up in the 2m at Cheltenham).

Footpad has been a huge disappointment this season and I'm leaning towards a combination of both your points granger - last years Arkle form only average and he hasn't improved any this year. As you were saying being on the go a long time now since a 3YO - I'm not sure we'll see any further improvement.

Put it this way - If Min and Footpad lined up against each other over 2m at the DRF in normal (ish) conditions - Min would win imo. If the betting prices were similar/close there is no doubt in the world where my money would be going.

Thanks
    Spot on DH couldn't agree more.

Thanks
    I think Great Field has been left exposed now and would be surprised to see him race outside Ireland in the future

Hard to envisage Min beating Altior - very hard actually but have a feeling Munir/Souede may try split their horses now

Ruby only has one arse mind so i'd imagine he wont wnat to pick between Min and Footpad for the Ryanair so Min will prob go for the Ryanair

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A great series all this week on the 2 mile Chase greats in Racing Post.
    Sure to come on line soon if not already.
    My favourite race of the year so you might call me biased.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Great Field has been left exposed now and would be surprised to see him race outside Ireland in the future

Hard to envisage Min beating Altior - very hard actually but have a feeling Munir/Souede may try split their horses now

Ruby only has one arse mind so i'd imagine he wont wnat to pick between Min and Footpad for the Ryanair so Min will prob go for the Ryanair
    Splitter!!

“Exposed” is a strong word. Having got no further than the 2nd in his pipe-opener, this was effectively his starting-point fir the season, and there was enough to like about it, for me to not dismiss him entirely. I liked the way he knuckled down when Footpad came to him, and I don’t think it’s entirely optimistic, to think that fitness may have started to tell, heading down to the last.

He has absolutely no chance of beating Altior in a QMCC though......none of them do.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Splitter!!

“Exposed” is a strong word. Having got no further than the 2nd in his pipe-opener, this was effectively his starting-point fir the season, and there was enough to like about it, for me to not dismiss him entirely. I liked the way he knuckled down when Footpad came to him, and I don’t think it’s entirely optimistic, to think that fitness may have started to tell, heading down to the last.

He has absolutely no chance of beating Altior in a QMCC though......none of them do.
    I don't know Grass. I think his beauty was in no one knew how good he was, we have a fair idea. He can still be a fine horse but will need to be placed well to land a big pot

It's a bit generous to call it a pipe opener. He would have been in race training for around 6 weeks so no need for cobwebs. waiting patientlys form is well advertised. If he was good enough, he'd have won
    Last edited by granger; 11th January 2019 at 8:57 PM.