Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bet Victor Gold Cup Cheltenham Sat Nov 17th

SlimChance
    Question for Kolondra backers. Would it surprise you that it only traded at a low of 7.2 in running at Galway?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    Question for Kolondra backers. Would it surprise you that it only traded at a low of 7.2 in running at Galway?
    I'm not familiar with in-running markets but Sub Lt would, I imagine, have been odds-on at the point at which K fell.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I'm not familiar with in-running markets but Sub Lt would, I imagine, have been odds-on at the point at which K fell.
    Fair comment. The market has really tightened up on it. Mad that Pricewise still moves the market despite a pathetic strike rate.

Thanks
    Fair comment. The market has really tightened up on it. Mad that Pricewise still moves the market despite a pathetic strike rate.
    I reckon it's the bookies suckering punters into believing a gamble is developing. They get the word at 5pm (as the paper goes to press) on what he's putting up. They cut it and punters want to get on before it shortens any further, thus causing, if not a snowball effect exactly, a further contraction for a while.

The really annoying thing is when the likes of us coincide with PW's selection. We end up not getting the better odds more via bookie manipulation rather than genuine market strength.

Still, we're all on Kalondra at 11/1 and better, aren't we
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 17th November 2018 at 9:14 AM.

Thanks
    I reckon it's the bookies suckering punters into believing a gamble is developing. They get the word at 5pm (as the paper goes to press) on what he's putting up. They cut it and punters want to get on before it shortens any further, thus causing, if not a snowball effect exactly, a further contraction for a while.

The really annoying thing is when the likes of us coincide with PW's selection. We end up not getting the better odds more via bookie manipulation rather than genuine market strength.

11/1? We're all on at 100/8

Thanks
    They'll be dancing in the streets of Kalondra tonight

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Hold fire on any Benatar bets until you've seen the declarations later, waiting for test results this morning on a lung problem apparently.
    Benatar a non runner !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Benatar a non runner !
    Good to know they weren't putting people away. Shame for those who fancied Benatar.

And a question mark over Baron Alco's well-being?
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 17th November 2018 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Did Benatar not shorten dramatically yesterday? Last I looked was 13/2...More suspect practices from the rotten bookmaking industry???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trefflich View Post
    Did Benatar not shorten dramatically yesterday? Last I looked was 13/2...More suspect practices from the rotten bookmaking industry???
    Maybe not 'dramatically' but it did go blue across the board. I mentioned it on here just after DG posted his warning about its health.

I'm not convinced it's down to suspect practices, though. Few people distrust bookies more than I do but usually when there's a doubt the odds, especially at Betfair, tend to lengthen. The practice of shortening up prices tends to take place where, say, something gets loose or appears lame at the start and is being checked by the vet. I don't think R4 would have been in play at the time DG's message came through yesterday and it wouldn't affect ante-post bets.

SlimChance

Kolondra didn't tighten up on the machine until around 8pm when the ipad version goes live.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (17th November 2018)

SlimChance
    Maybe not 'dramatically' but it did go blue across the board. I mentioned it on here just after DG posted his warning about its health.

I'm not convinced it's down to suspect practices, though. Few people distrust bookies more than I do but usually when there's a doubt the odds, especially at Betfair, tend to lengthen. The practice of shortening up prices tends to take place where, say, something gets loose or appears lame at the start and is being checked by the vet. I don't think R4 would have been in play at the time DG's message came through yesterday and it wouldn't affect ante-post bets.
    There will have been a lot of bets affected by the rule 4. It's more annoying than anything cynical.

Thanks
    There will have been a lot of bets affected by the rule 4. It's more annoying than anything cynical.
    Will rule 4 come in if I've backed the horse prior to yesterday?

SlimChance
    Decs were midday on Thursday. All bets after that are subject to a rule 4.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

Double J (17th November 2018)

Thanks
    Decs were midday on Thursday. All bets after that are subject to a rule 4.

Are you sure about that, Slim?

I'm pretty sure I was told (when I made a similar enquiry a couple of years ago) that it's ante-post rules until something like 4pm the day before, even with 48h decs.

SlimChance
    Are you sure about that, Slim?

I'm pretty sure I was told (when I made a similar enquiry a couple of years ago) that it's ante-post rules until something like 4pm the day before, even with 48h decs.
    Certain.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (17th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The 1:50 was a great race to watch. My fancy Royal Vacation has run a huge race, which probably would have been enough to win 9/10 renewals. Coneygree back in third, with a back-to-form winner in the shape of Rock The Kasbah.
    Last edited by Marb; 17th November 2018 at 3:18 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    The 1:50 was a great race to watch. My fancy Royal Vacation has run a huge race, which probably would have been enough to win 9/10 renewals of the same race. Coneygree back in third, with a back-to-form winner in the shape of Rock The Kasbah.
    Stuck in work so can't watch the racing. very surprised to see Cogry not even place.
    Last edited by Double J; 17th November 2018 at 3:19 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Only jockey with the sense not to let Frodon lead
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Cracking performance from Baron Alco. Frodon is an unbelievably tough horse, run an absolute stormer.

Hope all the horses are safe and sound, very messy race.